Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:00 AM

92 posts, read 316,674 times

Advertisements

I work as a software engineer. Many of my teammates kind of fit the stereotype of the traditional computer developer (single not-in-the-best-shape/overweight guys that own cats.) We're all young guys (less than 30.) Some of my co-workers take cholesterol and blood pressure medicine. I'm not in the best shape myself, but I try to eat healthy (I used to be slightly obese in college and had high-blood pressure/cholesterol myself.)

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of my co-workers, I do understand the need to socialize and "be part of the team." I often joined them for lunch (Chipotle. Chikfila, 5 Guys, etc), happy hours, and team dinners. However, since joining my current project, I've gained nearly 20 lbs as a result of poor eating decisions; in addition to an added expense of purchasing fast food everyday.

In the last couple months, I have cut back joining them for lunch (almost completely), happy hours, and team dinners. I bring in my lunch, and decline to join them for their fast food excursions, but I can definitely sense some tension or even animosity as a result. My only concern is that it could potentially hurt my career.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,250,482 times
I used to have to travel with a partner at my old firm who smoked like a chimney. I hated IT! Everyday my clothes smelled of smoke when I had to ride with him, ugh.

Gained my experience and got out of there!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:07 AM

51,537 posts, read 37,242,773 times
Did you tell them the reason you're not joining them?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,539,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
I work as a software engineer. Many of my teammates kind of fit the stereotype of the traditional computer developer (single not-in-the-best-shape/overweight guys that own cats.) We're all young guys (less than 30.) Some of my co-workers take cholesterol and blood pressure medicine. I'm not in the best shape myself, but I try to eat healthy (I used to be slightly obese in college and had high-blood pressure/cholesterol myself.)

Even though I'm not the biggest fan of my co-workers, I do understand the need to socialize and "be part of the team." I often joined them for lunch (Chipotle. Chikfila, 5 Guys, etc), happy hours, and team dinners. However, since joining my current project, I've gained nearly 20 lbs as a result of poor eating decisions; in addition to an added expense of purchasing fast food everyday.

In the last couple months, I have cut back joining them for lunch (almost completely), happy hours, and team dinners. I bring in my lunch, and decline to join them for their fast food excursions, but I can definitely sense some tension or even animosity as a result. My only concern is that it could potentially hurt my career.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situations?

You can gracefully decline to go with them and tell them you need to start making better dietary choices so you have decided to bring your own.
Go the "funny" route and tell them you don't want to be asked to play Santa again this year.
That way it should not be seen that you don't want to join them on a personal level.
I hope that makes sense.
If they get carry out and bring it back there is no reason you can't join them in the lunch room with what you brought for lunch.
If they go to Chipotle or another place like that you can always go and order a big salad and none of the traditional high calorie items.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM

92 posts, read 316,674 times
I have told them why I no longer join them for lunch. I try to do it in a way to not direct it at anyone's lifestyle in particular. Most of the guys are cool, but there's always some that feel like it's necessary to criticize my lunch (which personally, irks me.)

For example, yesterday I brought a sandwich and green smoothie (kale, spinach, carrots, ginger, orange juice) for lunch. One guy tried to convince me that the smoothie was bad for my health due to blood sugar spikes (apparently in the past, he used to be in super shape.) I nodded and said "Sure, but I doubt it's nearly as bad as 2000+ calorie lunch you're about to eat." He didn't like that. I tried to be funny. lol

I'm not a health nut. I don't go out of my way to talk about my exercise regimes or lunches because I know some people feel alienated or some sort of dismay when things like that are discussed.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 AM

3,380 posts, read 1,997,710 times
Tell them eating out is too expensive and you are saving up for a new gaming super computer.
Surely they could understand this.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,785,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can gracefully decline to go with them and tell them you need to start making better dietary choices so you have decided to bring your own.
Go the "funny" route and tell them you don't want to be asked to play Santa again this year.
That way it should not be seen that you don't want to join them on a personal level.
I hope that makes sense.
If they get carry out and bring it back there is no reason you can't join them in the lunch room with what you brought for lunch.
If they go to Chipotle or another place like that you can always go and order a big salad and none of the traditional high calorie items.
Agreed with this here. I just recently started changing my diet so I'm not looking to eat as much bread/fatty foods anymore. My family has a history of high blood pressure and cholesterol so now that I'm reaching 30 this year, I'm making necessary changes now.

Just decline and start eating salads or bringing healthy food/snacks from home.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,561,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randmness View Post
I have told them why I no longer join them for lunch. I try to do it in a way to not direct it at anyone's lifestyle in particular. Most of the guys are cool, but there's always some that feel like it's necessary to criticize my lunch (which personally, irks me.)
I'm glad most of them are cool. If this happened to me, I would either just try to not let the other ones bother me, or diplomatically defend myself as many times as necessary until they stop.

Quote:
For example, yesterday I brought a sandwich and green smoothie (kale, spinach, carrots, ginger, orange juice) for lunch. One guy tried to convince me that the smoothie was bad for my health due to blood sugar spikes (apparently in the past, he used to be in super shape.) I nodded and said "Sure, but I doubt it's nearly as bad as 2000+ calorie lunch you're about to eat." He didn't like that. I tried to be funny. lol
Saying "I doubt it's nearly as bad as 2000+ calorie lunch you're about to eat" isn't very funny IMO (and kind of rude, despite him being rude first.) Possibly word it to direct it a little less personally ("i.e. not as bad as a 2000 calorie cheeseburger".)

Old 03-05-2014, 09:20 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,785,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
I'm glad most of them are cool. If this happened to me, I would either just try to not let the other ones bother me, or diplomatically defend myself as many times as necessary until they stop.

Saying "I doubt it's nearly as bad as 2000+ calorie lunch you're about to eat" isn't very funny IMO (and kind of rude, despite him being rude first.) Possibly word it to direct it a little less personally ("i.e. not as bad as a 2000 calorie cheeseburger".)

Yeah, that's a little rude. The store smoothies have more sugar/calories than homemade stuff. Maybe the guy was just warning you.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 AM

420 posts, read 771,677 times
How about working some exercise into your schedule? I eat whatever I want and play basketball every day at lunch then work out when I get home. The fact is, your coworkers aren't bad for your health, you are. Its all up to you. But I can see your point; sort of like in that show Friends where Rachel starts smoking just to fit in with her superiors, its a tough call but you have to do what's best for you.

Last edited by jaekn; 03-05-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment