Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM

313 posts, read 497,721 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was in the medical field and I gained 45 lbs over a few years. When I started bringing my own food and I stopped with the social outings, I received a LOT of strange comments especially from the owners of the practice.

3.5 years into my employment there with only positive work reviews & raises every year, I was laid off.

Everyone else working there was obese, unhealthy, and I was unwilling to join their club. I guess that means I don't deserve a job! Good luck with your own predicament...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 PM

860 posts, read 2,207,800 times
There is a guy at work who regularly likes to bring in a box of doughnuts. I know he is trying to be nice, but I have no problem saying "No thank you".

Old 03-06-2014, 06:58 AM

53 posts, read 90,741 times
All the other comments, that came before mine, are perfect. It is natural for your co-workers, short of a very cogent explanation on your part, to think they have offended you in some way if you are not going to lunch with them. It is also hard to stay healthy when the people you hang out with are not but do you not think you are kind of blaming them for your weight gain? Do many of those restaurants have salads and healthier options? I would not even mention your weight gain as a reason for skipping lunch with them because it sounds, rightfully so, like you are blaming them for it which does not seem fair.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,770 times
I work a low paying job and most of the employees are borderline homeless with serious hygiene and mental/social issues.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM

3,364 posts, read 2,156,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I work a low paying job and most of the employees are borderline homeless with serious hygiene and mental/social issues.
Sounds fairly typical of low-paying industries, unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,043,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Yes, I was in the medical field and I gained 45 lbs over a few years. When I started bringing my own food and I stopped with the social outings, I received a LOT of strange comments especially from the owners of the practice.

3.5 years into my employment there with only positive work reviews & raises every year, I was laid off.

Everyone else working there was obese, unhealthy, and I was unwilling to join their club. I guess that means I don't deserve a job! Good luck with your own predicament...
Not surprising - fitting in with the herd, no matter how dysfunctional they are, seems to be more important than actually doing one's job these days.

For example, my most recent place of employment was a failing machine shop dominated by right-wing extremists. In my department alone, of the 2 old guys, one of them couldn't go a week without launching into a rant about how "those people" - except he used the n-word - were responsible for all the nation's problems. The other, older guy agreed with him, and was also the one who felt the KKK was a fine organization since lynching people is just "expressing your first amendment rights." They'd rant and spew on a regularly basis, attacking blacks, gays, Mexicans, people of other faiths, etc. It was miserable dance to avoid saying or doing anything that would blatantly disagree with their bigoted idiocy while at the same time not actually agreeing with anything hateful that they said. When they got bored of that, they'd offer wander off to sexually harass the few young and attractive women in the front office, so I'd have some peace for a while... ugh...

The company was full of this crud - closed-minded, twerps who were far more interested in herd behavior than job performance, and there was no shortage of clowns there who had limited job skills at best, but who enjoyed untouchable employment because they were somebody's friend, hunting buddy, drinking buddy, partner in the sack, etc. It was a joke... and, thanks to this stupidity and overall mismanagement, the place is on the edge of bankruptcy.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,860,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Saying "I doubt it's nearly as bad as 2000+ calorie lunch you're about to eat" isn't very funny IMO (and kind of rude, despite him being rude first.) Possibly word it to direct it a little less personally ("i.e. not as bad as a 2000 calorie cheeseburger".)
this kind of crap happens to me on the job all the time. I drastically changed my diet, and had to start describing the food as it is, poison. my coworkers did not like hearing that either. And some were offended. Those who like it the least are usually those who have their own food related issues. I've come to the conclusion that it's not my responsibility as to how others perceive my comments. I have to do (or say) whatever it takes for me to stay on track.

Believe me, the coworkers are watching for the OP to slip and then they will be happy. Don't give in OP, take care of yourself. You can still socialize, just bring your own food. I do. And I don't stay for the full social hour.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 AM

951 posts, read 1,142,547 times
Mental health, yes.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,557,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Not surprising - fitting in with the herd, no matter how dysfunctional they are, seems to be more important than actually doing one's job these days.

For example, my most recent place of employment was a failing machine shop dominated by right-wing extremists. In my department alone, of the 2 old guys, one of them couldn't go a week without launching into a rant about how "those people" - except he used the n-word - were responsible for all the nation's problems. The other, older guy agreed with him, and was also the one who felt the KKK was a fine organization since lynching people is just "expressing your first amendment rights." They'd rant and spew on a regularly basis, attacking blacks, gays, Mexicans, people of other faiths, etc. It was miserable dance to avoid saying or doing anything that would blatantly disagree with their bigoted idiocy while at the same time not actually agreeing with anything hateful that they said. When they got bored of that, they'd offer wander off to sexually harass the few young and attractive women in the front office, so I'd have some peace for a while... ugh...

The company was full of this crud - closed-minded, twerps who were far more interested in herd behavior than job performance, and there was no shortage of clowns there who had limited job skills at best, but who enjoyed untouchable employment because they were somebody's friend, hunting buddy, drinking buddy, partner in the sack, etc. It was a joke... and, thanks to this stupidity and overall mismanagement, the place is on the edge of bankruptcy.
Wow, that sounds like a nightmarish environment to work in. Hopefully you are long gone and have found something better.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Every food place has lower calorie items on the menu. Become familiar with those items at place your group frequents.

I'm not a drinker and the crowd likes happy hour. I still go, but I order a "rum and diet coke, no rum."
Yep. Most fast food restaurants have salads, chicken wraps, and grilled chicken sandwiches. Just avoid 5 Guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment