Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,932 times

Advertisements

Ok. So... I'm pretty annoyed. I got called for an interview as a server at this restaurant. All seemed good as I was asked to come in to do an "in-house" ??? That is to work for 4 hours and see if I am a fit and that I like the establishment as well. By the way it was 5 hours.
So I go in and all goes well. My trainer tells me you don't get paid to train and she worked to help open the place and wasn't paid but thankfully she does well now as a server. Free labor!!! Really???
So after my unpaid training... He informs me that he only has one shift for me. One! I question him and he says I can pick the night. I was expected a schedule. But, he's opening another restaurant in 60 days and will need people. I cannot work for a theif who takes advantage of servers who need work. And... between the interview and the training I lost over a week I could have invested in going on other interviews.
How can they get away with this stuff???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Inform him that you were not made aware of the "unpaid" part of the training beforehand, that you think it's fair to be paid, and that you'll be more than happy to work any shift they have available.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
tell him you slipped on a wet floor and wretched your back ....
his attitude may change...

im pretty sure businesses have to pay for training,, unless they say its part of the interview process

if he's a dickweed,,, then go work somewhere else....lifes too short

Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
How did you lose a week by doing a one-hour interview plus four hours of work?

I agree that any work should be compensated. But then again, you agreed to it. I guess if you're that concerned, call the labor commission or whoever monitors that in your state.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You beat me to it.

And now I just lost my entire night responding to you.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Welcome to the real world. Either you want the job, or you don't. You knew the terms before you agreed to the training arrangement. So, that's nothing to whine about. You're only complaint might be the one night schedule, if that wasn't mentioned beforehand. But then, even that would depend on what the job listing said, and what you were told before the training.

I'm not in the restaurant business, but I have trained enough employees to let you know that it's not all fun and games. No one would do it on a whim. They're looking for good employees, who will be assets to the business. The "Thief" who wanted to hire you, probably doesn't want an employee with a bad attitude.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM

458 posts, read 644,646 times
Are you saying this restaurant is too cheap to pay $2.13 an hour for paid training?
Wow! Talk about low-balling.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You beat me to it.
My guess is she stopped job searching after the interview and the training was scheduled for later in the week. One of my son's friends waited two and a half weeks to be scheduled for training at Max and Erma's. As a result, I could undertand someone would feel they lost valuable time job searching, especially if only scheduled for one day per week afterwards.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Are you saying this restaurant is too cheap to pay $2.13 an hour for paid training?
Wow! Talk about low-balling.
Restaurants have to pay standard minimum wage for training.

OP take this as a lesson that you shouldn't "interview" for free. Yes, what he is doing is likely illegal. File a complaint with your local attorney general or labor board, which should at least cause him a headache, and move on.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Personally, I would make a call to your state's wage and hour division and provide them with the details of your experience. The situation you described is illegal in most states.

They only get away with it because people don't report it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment