Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:01 PM

542 posts, read 1,450,689 times

Advertisements

i was just laid off. my first course of action is to acquire a cdl to make me more hireable. i do not want to be a trucker, nore do i want to go to truck driving school that costs big bucks. i have taken the written test before and am sure i could pass it again. the problem i have had is learning the truck and getting some experience driving a truck. i tried before to pass the driving portion of the cdl test with no training(because i became aware of a job opening that had to be applied for in 3 days). i couldn't pass the inspection stage.

could someone please help me find a training facility that is reasonably priced for what im looking for in michigan please. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:41 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,131,947 times
Default A thought

[q
could someone please help me find a training facility that is reasonably priced for what im looking for in michigan please. any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Don't know the answer, but a quick search on the internet shows the below:

Truck Driver Training Program - Transportation Technologies - Lansing Community College

http://www.lcc.edu/catalog/degree_ce...plied/0262.pdf

Michigan Truck Driving Schools - Truck Driver Training - Truck Driving School in Michigan
good luck

Old 02-28-2009, 07:44 AM

p.s. this is a guess, but a one minute review of the various websites, I think you may have to get your CDL training at a the same place people go to get trucker training. So... you may have to drop those distinctions you are making. again good luck

Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 AM

782 posts, read 3,791,197 times
Renter are you serious. Driving a truck can hold huge responsibilities. You should want a creditable source of training. Why do you want a CDL? Are you trying to get in management of a trucking type job,that require a CDL? Do you want a class A or B?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,842,797 times
What part of Michigan, I have a friend that owns a trucking company that might help out.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:48 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,548,469 times
Renter8319, I cannot imagine why you'd want to get a CDL unless you were going to apply for a truck driving job with a large truckload carrier. If you apply for a job driving a trash truck, produce truck or any other local delivery situation, your employer should be able to help with CDL training. You need a Class "A" CDL to drive any combination vehicle (with one or more trailers) over 26,000 pounds. A Class "B" would be required for a straight truck (without a trailer) or a commercial or school bus. Gea12345 provided a link to a community college truck driver training program. And, IMHO, community colleges are the best training for the least amount of money. If you want to drive for a truckload carrier, virtually all of them require that you graduate from an accredited driver training program (with good reason!)

Working in management at a trucking company doesn't require that you have a CDL but many drivers move up into management positions after they have driven.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 AM

i am interested in applying for various apprenticeships, one in particular is a lineman. the job requires a class a cdl, so to get bumped up the list, i'd like to already have my cdl.

p.s. i live near flint.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post
i am interested in applying for various apprenticeships, one in particular is a lineman. the job requires a class a cdl, so to get bumped up the list, i'd like to already have my cdl.

p.s. i live near flint.

Have you called your community college?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

782 posts, read 3,791,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter8319 View Post

p.s. i live near flint.
Ok now I get ya. Since you just got laid off. Go to the unemployment office to apply for a grant. The unemployment office near me have a CDL training program. If you are collecting benefits from them,it will make easier to get the grant. It takes 2 weeks to process and you pick the school you want to attend. That was 2 years ago,things could have change since then. I was the only one in a class of 6 that paid out of pocket. The others got grants from the unemployment office.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Ok now I get ya. Since you just got laid off. Go to the unemployment office to apply for a grant. The unemployment office near me have a CDL training program. If you are collecting benefits from them,it will make easier to get the grant. It takes 2 weeks to process and you pick the school you want to attend. That was 2 years ago,things could have change since then. I was the only one in a class of 6 that paid out of pocket. The others got grants from the unemployment office.

this is in michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment