Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Eh.... the earlobe is discreet and non-functional. A piercing there is not that obvious and has no side effects outside of the piercing itself. A nose piercing is very obvious and, well... I can't help but suspect that it would get rather gross when one has a runny nose, a bad cold, etc.

To each their own, but I've never looked at a woman and thought, "she's good looking - if only she had some random pieces of metal jutting out of her face, then she'd really be hot!"
I see plenty of earrings every day that are very obvious. And one in the nose can be discreet based on the picture someone posted. I'm not sure what side effects the nose piercing may have, but I have never heard of any.

I have never looked at a woman and thought "she's good looking - if only she had some random pieces of metal jutting out of her ear, then she'd really be hot!"

Although none of that really have to do with what I posted. The person I quoted said they don't see the practical benefits or driving factor of getting a nose ring and I made a comparison of those things to an earring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I see plenty of earrings every day that are very obvious. And one in the nose can be discreet based on the picture someone posted. I'm not sure what side effects the nose piercing may have, but I have never heard of any.

I have never looked at a woman and thought "she's good looking - if only she had some random pieces of metal jutting out of her ear, then she'd really be hot!"

Although none of that really have to do with what I posted. The person I quoted said they don't see the practical benefits or driving factor of getting a nose ring and I made a comparison of those things to an earring.
No offense was intended - I fully get that facial piercing just bug me perhaps more than the average person... although that does tie into the theme of the post. You never really know what might bug a person, and that can be a problem when looking for a job. It doesn't make it "right" persay, but it's just a sad reality.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
No offense was intended - I fully get that facial piercing just bug me perhaps more than the average person... although that does tie into the theme of the post. You never really know what might bug a person, and that can be a problem when looking for a job. It doesn't make it "right" persay, but it's just a sad reality.
No offense taken.

I'm not a huge fan of them myself unless they are very small (like the picture that was posted). I just don't really care from a work perspective. And you are right. It can certainly be a problem if the company or person you are trying to get a job from doesn't like them.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 AM

457 posts, read 693,885 times
I had small gauges in my ears, and thankfully didn't encounter any problems. The fire dept wasn't too thrilled about them, but I mostly ran EMS calls so it wasn't so bad. My lip ring I had was not taken too well. My old manager made me cover it up with a band-aid. hahaha It wasn't worth it so I eventually took it out.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGunz View Post
My friend is thinking of getting her nose pierced. She works an office job in a moderately liberal/moderately conservative setting. I've told her to wait and see, or ask around about it. She says there's nothing in policy preventing it in the dress code. She's said she has even noticed some companies using employee models with tattoos and piercings in their recruitment ads lately. Have you noticed society loosening up in this regard? Advice (so I can show her this thread)?
I think as a fad it's on the decline.

She should ask herself why this would be more important to her than a career and advancements.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Attitudes towards tats and piercings are quite age related, and also vary within various industries and social groups. So the answer to the "Is this OK?" question is "It all depends."

Where you will see the most resistance is in customer-facing positions in professional services. But in a call-center, where the customers never see you, and recruiiting is an issue, I think you'll find the standards are considerably more relaxed.

So context is important. What kind of office is it?
Which is true. If the employer is age 16, he or she might even be impressed with your tattoos and piercings. If your employer is age 40 or 50 or 60, they will not be positively impressed. So much has to do with where you want to work and who you want to work for.

If you work in a biker bar, the tattoos and piercings will likely be a plus. If you want to work in a very professional setting then obviously they would be a negative.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
A lot of people are practically demanding that the general public get on board with the idea of nose rings being the norm. That's not going to happen in the workplace. As others have said it depends on where you work and that's not saying the next workplace will be happy with it. I see no reaon for the OP's friend to limit her options for the sake of a controversial fad.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:19 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Will she be the only one with a nose ring? If she is (assuming it's okay); she'll be known as the girl with the nose ring. This will offend some and intrigue others, but the bottom line is that she won't be known or judged on the merit of her work. Personally, I try to blend in with the my work environment as far as hair styles/clothing/jewelry. I save the individualism for my off-hours.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Some things that anyone considering body art of any kind should keep in mind:

1. There is a difference between art in museums and art sold a Walmart. Similarly, there is a difference between an attractive piercing and an unattractive one, as well as a good-quality tattoo and a bad tattoo. Unfortunately, many people who get body art are not trained to assess its quality and do not know if what they paid for really is of value. You might "like what you like," but that doesn't make it art.

2. Many people who get body art are doing so under the impression it makes them unique or expresses their personal creativity. But when almost everybody has something, how does that make one unique? Most people who get body art are really following a herd mentality.

3. Go to a police station and look at mug shots. An inordinate number of criminals (especially petty criminals, people arrested for things like B&E, car theft, possession of illegal substances, vagrancy, etc.) have facial art. Everything ranging from a tiny tattoo on their cheek to huge neck designs announcing the gang they belong to, to multiple, painful-looking piercings, to forehead tats indicating their political beliefs. I understand that the OP's friend is merely considering a small nose piercing and not Juggalette tats. But you can't blame people if they equate facial art with criminality. I fully understand that everyone who has facial art is NOT a criminal. But there IS a statistical reason for that negative connotation.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Go for it!

There are many others who need that job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment