Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 51,315 times

Advertisements

My friend is thinking of getting her nose pierced. She works an office job in a moderately liberal/moderately conservative setting. I've told her to wait and see, or ask around about it. She says there's nothing in policy preventing it in the dress code. She's said she has even noticed some companies using employee models with tattoos and piercings in their recruitment ads lately. Have you noticed society loosening up in this regard? Advice (so I can show her this thread)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:38 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,497,578 times
In an office environment, it is completely unprofessional and inappropriate. I personally have never seen it.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:42 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,047,902 times
There is no practical benefit to getting one's nose pierced.

1) Just because there's nothing in the policy against it doesn't mean that the policy will remain the same. And if it changes, now she has a problem after getting the piercing.

2) Even if her current company is the most liberal and tolerant one on the planet, what happens when she goes to work someplace else? The hard reality is that the more piercing and tattoos you have, the fewer job options are available to you.

Note that society's views on piercings and tattoos may not be "right," but they still exist nonetheless. Personally, if I were hiring for a customer-related position, I'd want to minimize piercing and tattoos not because I really care, but because somebody else might and a customer might be lost.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,213,619 times
Doesn't seem like a big deal. She can always just take it out, right?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM

29,869 posts, read 25,002,140 times
I wouldn't find that too appealing in a professional employee. There's nothing saying she has to wear it at work, right?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM

150 posts, read 258,701 times
If I see a person with a nose-ring, I would judge that this person is rebellious and doesn't take directions well.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM

473 posts, read 798,889 times
As has been said, just because you can, doesn't mean you are well served to do so. Where I work (in an legal office environment), we have no official dress code. One guy apparently likes to wear t-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops to work during the summer. I on the other hand, despite not being required to, wear slacks and a polo to work 98% of the time. 1% of the time I may wear jeans (if I come in on a Saturday or I am taking off part of the day to go somewhere else) and 1% of the tie dress clothes (when out-of-town guests are visiting). Why? Because I want to move up. I want to be taken seriously. I don't want to seem too casual.

One of the female managers has a tongue ring at my work, but I wouldn't advise one of my coworkers to get one lol

Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,307,048 times
What if she wants to work somewhere else in the future? I worked at a law firm that did not allow visible tattoos, so women who had them on their ankles had to cover them with make-up every day. I suppose this is why tattoo removal services are doing so well.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM

473 posts, read 798,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
What if she wants to work somewhere else in the future? I worked at a law firm that did not allow visible tattoos, so women who had them on their ankles had to cover them with make-up every day. I suppose this is why tattoo removal services are doing so well.

This. While I could probably get arm-length tattoo sleeves at my current job and still wear short-sleeve shirts , most of the legal profession wouldn't be so accepting.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,993,910 times
I don't think it's a big deal.

Plenty of directors in my office have tattoos, even the regional director.

A little heart on her ankle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment