Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 PM

159 posts, read 339,625 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to admit, I was really emotional and upset about the whole thing. I guess it would be in their favor to see me walk away rather than have to fire me. I actually have people at my job that do like me (not friends, but we get along). It's really just one person (I wrote a thread about being targeted a few months ago). This person has since been promoted and I feel like I have to escape being under her scope of power.

I won't quit, but I will certainly take the first decent offer that comes along.I have a large workload, and I do contribute a lot-- but I'm not in to office politics, i'm introverted (not shy), and don't kiss ass (to people I don't like) and that's what's hurting me.

I am going to start filing and saving emails. I've started documenting my work products and tasks. My performance review is in January so I just hope once the new year starts, hiring picks up again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you asked what they would like to see you do in order to improve your performance rating?
The thing is I feel like I didn't get a good sense of actions I could take to improve performance. Only in teh past month or so, I was given this feedback. So it's hard to show change in such a short amount of time. I'm doing the work, but for some reason it's not enough. i just think people make their mind up about a person (based on a few peoples opinions) and then won't see anything differently.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,492,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesbyFish View Post
I was in a very similar situation.

DO NOT QUIT!!!

A lot of companies will try to do everything they can to get you to quit because their unemployment premiums are based off people filing. If you quit, you are ineligible for unemployment.

Obviously, your best option is to find another job. There are plenty of ways you can spin getting fired that don't sound so bad.
Never say you were fired and try hard to find a job before you are. Most companies will not reveal that anyways. They will just give titles and dates of employment though have a friend or hire a service to confirm that.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:41 PM

852 posts, read 3,822,269 times
I do performance evaluations, and there are employees who get relatively low marks but aren't necessarily targets to be fired. The job may have evolved away from that worker, or other workers may have improved and adapted. There might not be specific plans to get someone up to a higher level; sometimes OK is just that.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
I do performance evaluations, and there are employees who get relatively low marks but aren't necessarily targets to be fired. The job may have evolved away from that worker, or other workers may have improved and adapted. There might not be specific plans to get someone up to a higher level; sometimes OK is just that.
Thanks, but this is a low evaluation, not just "in the middle." A performance improvement plan has to be instated but policy.

I also could try to argue against low rating if that's what they do-- because I feel the standard to which I am held is not the same -- but I'm not sure how much good that would do

Old 12-17-2013, 07:58 PM

473 posts, read 799,908 times
Just as a point of clarity. Simply put, quiting one's job does not automatically equate to ineligibility for unemployment benefits. However, one would generally be required to prove that they left work for good cause and explored all reasonable alternatives prior to leaving work.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,563,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Never quit before you have another job.
I quit before having another job more times that I can count on one hand. And it always worked out well. Having money socked away has a nice way of easing any fears of how bills will be paid. Although I always found work pretty quickly.

OP, before you resign you have to think about a few things.

1) do you have enough money to live off for at least 1-2 years if you resign? Can you get health insurance through a spouse or do you have enough money to purchase either via COBRA or on the individual market. You need to have health insurance. This might guide your decision. DON"t QUIT if it means you will go without health insurance.

2) if you resign, what is the reason you will give future employers? If you are relocating to a new location, this is a great reason for leaving...every company understands this one. I think you mentioned in a different post that you plan to relocate.

3) Don't you think it makes better sense to stay and then be eligible for unemployment IF you are fired? This all depends on your financial situation.

4) If you resign or if you get fired, it is best to include this 2 year job on your resume. If fired, ask HR point blank what they well tell future employers when they inquire. Ask if they only give date of employment and job title, which most only do this. They don't usually tell if you were fired or laid off or quit.

If you are getting a Performance Improvement Plan, do your best to follow all instructions and do everything they ask. Chances are very high that they want to fire you. But if you jump through every hoop that is mentioned in the PIP, then it can be difficult for them to fire you. And it can buy you more time to get a new job.

Step up your job search!!!!

IMPORTANT: First week of January the job postings double...because many companies wait until new year and new budget to hire. Have your resume ready and spend extra time submitting for new jobs. Spend this extra time all of January and Feb. Step up the job search in a big way so you can get out of there asap.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-17-2013 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I quit before having another job more times that I can count on one hand. And it always worked out well. Having money socked away has a nice way of easing any fears of how bills will be paid. Although I always found work pretty quickly.

OP, before you resign you have to think about a few things.

1) do you have enough money to live off for at least 1-2 years if you resign? Can you get health insurance through a spouse or do you have enough money to purchase either via COBRA or on the individual market. You need to have health insurance. This might guide your decision. DON"t QUIT if it means you will go without health insurance. I was thinking I have enough to purchase temporary insurance or at least cobra for 3 months. I'm not married, and have no kids.

2) if you resign, what is the reason you will give future employers? If you are relocating to a new location, this is a great reason for leaving...every company understands this one. I think you mentioned in a different post that you plan to relocate. Yes, I do want to relocate. And I find it tough to make myself available to search in the city I want to relocate to when I'm not living there. I have family in the area I could stay with while I seek employment.

3) Don't you think it makes better sense to stay and then be eligible for unemployment IF you are fired? This all depends on your financial situation. Yes, but I've been on unemployment before (also let go). I'm worried about having to explain to employers why I am unemployed again. If I chose to quit and relocate to another city, at least it seems I took control and was methodical about my career. Does that make sense? However, maybe employers would not hold it against me if I was involuntarily terminated for performance reason or layoff.

4) If you resign or if you get fired, it is best to include this 2 year job on your resume. If fired, ask HR point blank what they well tell future employers when they inquire. Ask if they only give date of employment and job title, which most only do this. They don't usually tell if you were fired or laid off or quit. That is my hope, and I will plan to follow up with HR if it gets to that point. I like the work I do, just not the environment or the leadership. I will certainly include it in my resume to help me get the next job I want.

If you are getting a Performance Improvement Plan, do your best to follow all instructions and do everything they ask. Chances are very high that they want to fire you. But if you jump through every hoop that is mentioned in the PIP, then it can be difficult for them to fire you. And it can buy you more time to get a new job.

Step up your job search!!!!

IMPORTANT: First week of January the job postings double...because many companies wait until new year and new budget to hire. Have your resume ready and spend extra time submitting for new jobs. Spend this extra time all of January and Feb. Step up the job search in a big way so you can get out of there asap.
QUICK UPDATE: I got the ultimate slap in my face. I did not get fired, but my manager wants to put me on a performance improvement plan. I say it's a slap in the face because she did recognize that I do good work and I work hard, but there have been mistakes and based on how others were rated, I should not get the same ratings as others who did not make those mistakes. The environment is super competitive and perfection is the minimum -- unfortunately I don't feel values here and it's time to move on for me (although I have not made any statement to my employer yet).

It's important to note that I feel that i haven't been held to the same standard as some of my counterparts, and certainly not leadership. Due to political BS and the fact that I was targeted (I posted about it) and got on the "bad side" of one of the "leaders" I was hawk-eyed during the later half of the year, and it hasn't been a very "safe" environment for me. I've been looking since the fall, because I knew what direction this was heading in...because of that person, and "leadership."

Thank you for the sage advice sware2cod! I know what direction I want to go in, and I have to be honest with myself about whether I really see my self continuing with this company. I've been unemployed before, and know the risks. I'm grateful that I finally have the experience I need to move on to something better. I have stepped up my search, and have been interviewing and submitting applications. It's hard to do when I work 9-10 hour days, but I'm trying. I hope to have another in-person interview in the next couple of weeks. Please keep sending the positives vibes as I go through this challenge!

I will keep updating my situation...stay tuned!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,236,560 times
I suggest also improving your skills in office politics if you ever want advancement.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I suggest also improving your skills in office politics if you ever want advancement.
I'm very aware of it, I just don't know if I have it in me to play that game. I'm too genuine of a person I guess. If I like you, I like you. if I don't, or don't trust you, you will not get any special treatment from me. I won't be disrespectful bc it's not in my nature, but I'm not going to be phony because you're above me in the hierarchy. It's very clear to me I'm not cut out for corporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment