Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 07:31 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,132 times

Advertisements

Okay, so, backstory:

I work at two hospitals. Hospital A I have been working for over a year. The pay is excellent, and I have recently gotten a small promotion and the place has benefits. The scheduling is flexible (I'm in school), and it is more organized. I haven't started my new job yet (will start next month).

Hospital B, on the other hand, is a different story. I've been working there since May of this year. The pay is significantly lower (9.68 base rate vs 11.10 base rate at hospital one), the differentials are lower (.85 cents weekend pay vs 2.25 weekend pay and the night shift is about 20 cents more at hospital B). They are basically the same jobs, but Hospital B has a couple of skills that hospital A does not that I think would be valuable to have. Hospital B is very disorganized. Today I was schedule to attend a basic class and was not even given the location. I called several people asking for the location but could not receive a correct answer. Went to HR, went to Kingdom Come but could not for the life of me find this class even though I called around. I eventually left after sending a couple of emails. What a waste of gas.

The final straw was the lack of hours I'm getting at Hospital B, literally WEEKS without any hours and their scheduling is inflexible. They have me on night shift, and third shift is hard and I just can't do it anymore. I've requested some evening/ 2nd shift hours but they said they couldn't even give me a shift a week. At hospital A, in my current position, I get calls night and day multiple times a day BEGGING me to work. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My new job will require a minimum of eight hours per week, but with the opportunity of getting way more hours.

You might think "this is a no brainer, quit!" but I also want to keep ties with the hospital when I graduate from nursing school. I would like to transfer off the unit, but I won't be eligible for a transfer until May 2013. I'm at my wit's end really, and not surprisingly, my unit has a high turnover rate. There has been talks of cutting pay, and I can't afford a cut in pay when I'm barely making above minimum wage.

Should I:
1. Quit job at Hospital B.
or
2. Stay at Hospital B and hope for a transfer in May.

What do you think? The impulsive side of me just wants to give in my two-week notice, but at the same time, I just can't keep doing this anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quit. I'm not sure why you would want to be a nurse at such a dysfunctional place. Regardless, if you leave and want to go back, you can simply state that you left because you were not getting enough hours.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Oh, to clarify I work as a nurse's aide.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Quit. I'm not sure why you would want to be a nurse at such a dysfunctional place. Regardless, if you leave and want to go back, you can simply state that you left because you were not getting enough hours.
^^^that. Or, ask for a month's leave because your (inconsistent) schedule with them is conflicting with school and other obligations. Then, on your month LOA, live with not being there a while before making your decision.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Okay, so, backstory:

Should I:
1. Quit job at Hospital B.
or
2. Stay at Hospital B and hope for a transfer in May.

What do you think? The impulsive side of me just wants to give in my two-week notice, but at the same time, I just can't keep doing this anymore.
Sounds like you're getting better training at Hospital A, regardless of specialty. Why not simply substitute the hours you would have been working at "B" with additional hours at "A"? That way you don't have to quit and you keep your income stream.

You can calmly say, in all honesty, that you have a "hard" (e.g., can't be moved) work schedule conflict next time "B" calls. ESPECIALLY if it's on the night shift. Say that a couple of times, and you'll not be troubled much anymore with calls from "B" - for the night shift, anyway - and you won't be forced into the somewhat uncomfortable position of quitting before you've graduated.

If "B" wants you, they'll adjust your schedule over bringing on a newbie. You always go with a known quantity. Sounds like they've just gotten comfortable with you being their third shift "go to" gal.

Best to you. Good on you, having work experience prior to graduating - based on what I've seen on this forum, lots of people would envy you!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Sounds like you're getting better training at Hospital A, regardless of specialty. Why not simply substitute the hours you would have been working at "B" with additional hours at "A"? That way you don't have to quit and you keep your income stream.

You can calmly say, in all honesty, that you have a "hard" (e.g., can't be moved) work schedule conflict next time "B" calls. ESPECIALLY if it's on the night shift. Say that a couple of times, and you'll not be troubled much anymore with calls from "B" - for the night shift, anyway - and you won't be forced into the somewhat uncomfortable position of quitting before you've graduated.

If "B" wants you, they'll adjust your schedule over bringing on a newbie. You always go with a known quantity. Sounds like they've just gotten comfortable with you being their third shift "go to" gal.

Best to you. Good on you, having work experience prior to graduating - based on what I've seen on this forum, lots of people would envy you!
Thank you! Yes, it is very important for me to get some work experience prior to graduation (I will have about four years of related experience in my field).

I have definitely thought about just picking up more hours at hospital A. They are more consistent with the work they give me, the pay is higher and I only have to work one night per month. It's tough b/c I have only been at hospital B for six months and would feel crappy throwing in the towel now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment