Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Ep- Ep- started this thread

2,080 posts, read 4,171,849 times

Advertisements

I graduated college right when the economy hit the crapper with an MIS degree. took a job at a call center for one of the biggest healthcare companies and it pays ok. ive been the ideal employee, won awards, hold down the fort when the boss is off, work OT when needed...all that good stuff.

the company has been outsourcing large amount of people to india. big layoffs and lots of good talent leaving. because of this HR gave managers the choice of declining promotions into other depts while transitioning. ive become friends with the manager of the team that has my dream job there. when he had an opening i applied, he told me he wanted to get me in there and then the job was later filled by a recent college grad. so i asked him what happened and he said my manager tried to talk trash on me behind my back (he doesnt know im friends with the guy) and told HR he wanted to decline my transfer. the job ended up taking a few extra weeks to fill because they were argueing back and forth through HR

since then ive obviously been looking elsewhere but not much out there. no one ever calls back or responds to calls/emails. 4 years in an ultra high volume call center is starting to take its toll. most of my of my callers are jerks, no nice way of putting it. i've hit the point where having a queue of calls waiting from when i sit down till when i leave full of angry people is just too much. i get headaches at work quick, my stomach starts turning and my hair is even starting to lose color. i dread waking up in the morning.

ill keep looking for a new job, but i predict i can have 8 months expenses saved by april 1st. should i just quit then? everyone says its crazy to quit but i dont think i can take much more....

(i dont have any kids or debt, just normal bills)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,839 times
That horrible to hear, and your boss to do that to you shows his true colors and lack of character... I can relate.

What kind of job are you looking for? Probably want to consider something besides call centers, use your degree if you can for your minor if you have to.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Ep- Ep- started this thread

2,080 posts, read 4,171,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
That horrible to hear, and your boss to do that to you shows his true colors and lack of character... I can relate.

What kind of job are you looking for? Probably want to consider something besides call centers, use your degree if you can for your minor if you have to.
I just grabbed the call center job since it was entry level to grab experience. didn't expect to be there this long. then i found out ive been offered promotions (more then just the one mentioned above) but my boss has screwed me out of it. im not the only one. we have some really talented people there that have been stuck for 5+ years.

ive been looking into different IT jobs without much luck. my degree has a lot of business classes in it so ive expanded my search a little more recently. just hard to find anything period though. most employers also dont seem to know about the economy and wonder why ive been in a call center for so many years for a big company without being promoted. longer i stay more it hurts my chances of getting out.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
have you been actively looking for new jobs? i would turn it up a notch for a while before thinking about quitting because it will be easier to find a job when you already have one (maybe til april first like you said). but if it is really that bad and you can afford to not work for a while, go for it. make sure you're writing good cover letters to everything you apply to. be honest about where you stand in your career right now- i think you have a decent enough story to make you employable despite the long stint of being underemployed.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM

399 posts, read 855,219 times
It always seems unbearable while you are in a job you do not like. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. My daughter quit her job as she was very dismayed over some of the policies practiced by her company. She was confident she could survive and readily find new employment. It is now 4 months later and no job. Meanwhile her bills are starting to get the best of her and she is scrambling to find a source of income. I would suggest keeping to yourself and getting through each day by telling yourself that it's only 8 hours and again, you do what you have to do. All too often the people in supervisory positions misuse their authority to better care for their own needs. Staying with it until something better comes along would be my advice. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment