Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM

249 posts, read 425,397 times

Advertisements

While I detest flip-flops and am totally with you on #4, I'm gonna have to concur with the guys who seen absolutely no problem with #2.

Also, with #6, it depends on the indoor temperature. At my office, to save energy, they keep things at 28 degrees C (82 degrees F) in the summer. Guys go around in short sleeves and some women wear tank tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,364,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
IMO there's nothing wrong with what you describe. I've been at the other spectrum of the scale where I worked for an investment company that had such stiff dress codes that people hated it. And these were for everybody, even us who were not interacting with customers. They wanted men to wear suits. When they left their desk they wanted men to put their jackets on (even if they went to the bathroom). Women had to show legs. Consequently we had to wear dresses or suits with skirts. No business pants allowed for women. One time a coworker of mine was sent home for coming to work wearing a leather skirt and I was sent home for daring to come to work wearing sandals in the middle of the summer!
I would last about thirty seconds in an atmosphere like that; Dress code "meddling" has long been one of my biggest pet peeves when job-seeking. Usually, I can get a picture of what's likely to be expected during the hiring process, but I'll never forget one job that soured very quickly and completely when I got a new supervisor (former militarist), who was very much into "s*it (take your pick among which consonant fits best) and polish". It's something about which I feel very strongly, so I just have to take the risk of losing a lot due to standing up for principle.

I've been in shops where, because I worked mostly nights and weekends, I only had to put up with the insult of unnecessary dress rules for part of the day, but there is no such thing as twenty percent of a principle; you either live by them. or you don't.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-13-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
who cares?

does the way a person dresses determine their productivity?

it can matter if you are face to face with clients of course, but in professions where thats not a must then you shouldnt have to. as a former fed employee i saw all that crap...and i didnt care because the workers were the same with or without slacks.

Last edited by MJ7; 12-13-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
who cares?

does the way a person dresses determine their productivity?

it can matter if you are face to face with clients of course, but in professions where thats not a must then you shouldnt have to. as a former fed employee i saw all that crap...and i didnt care because the workers were the same with or without slacks.
Weren't they kinda distracting without their slacks?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 PM

453 posts, read 632,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Probably depends on the answer to "Boxers or briefs? And if briefs, then how brief?"

Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
if someone was that distracted by someone wearing jeans in my profession im sure they wouldnt be around very long.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 PM

453 posts, read 632,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
if someone was that distracted by someone wearing jeans in my profession im sure they wouldnt be around very long.
I think you missed the joke...

Old 12-13-2013, 07:25 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
I think you missed the joke...
indeed

however, i wouldnt be surprised if someone complained to HR about it in this day and age

Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM

4,572 posts, read 5,689,509 times
For employees who are not customer facing, as long as nobody is exposing anything indecent, what's the problem? A company with a culture that encourages the promulgation and enforcement of unnecessarily strict rules about what you wear, usually also invents arbitrary rules for other areas, and is best avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I think if I worked for sachs, chase, etc as a market analyst or if I worked in account in this company I couldn't do what I described. I see everyone in business attire, not casual, in accounting.
Is this because it's necessary, or because the accounting folk are 'dressing for the job they wish they had'?

Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,167,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
It only bothers me that I cant wear jeans on Friday. We have several departments where I guess management can decide whatever they want. We also have tiers of assocates/management level employees and I am considered managment.
This is EastCoast-WestCoast bias!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment