Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times

Advertisements

They are making a ton by treating staff this way. I'd report them and leave. No need for two weeks notice either as thats for employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
They are making a ton by treating staff this way. I'd report them and leave. No need for two weeks notice either as thats for employees.
I love it!

Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
"independent contractor" one of the most abused classification there is.

Even some roofing contractors ask you to divide up the bill and write each employee of his an individual check because he calls them "Independent contractors "

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
"independent contractor" one of the most abused classification there is.

Even some roofing contractors ask you to divide up the bill and write each employee of his an individual check because he calls them "Independent contractors "
That would be a huge red flag. I doubt those "independent contractors" are each individually registered, bonded, and insured. Nor are you likely to have signed individual contracts with each of them.

Last edited by ferraris; 10-21-2013 at 10:42 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 10:30 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
This is an extremely interesting practice of which I was unaware. So I gather it has been going on for years and is fairly widespread? Is this due to the recession or was it always prevalent? The reason it is interesting is because a lot of companies are dropping employees' spouses and families from employer health care policies--Home Depot, for one. i believe these US companies have simply been waiting for a reason to dump health insurance, as they will be able to compete globally on a more level playing field. Since most other countries provide their citizens with health insurance and health care, their companies do not have the expense of providing health insurance to their employees. Big savings. Not having to provide health insurance makes US companies more competitive. Employers have been converting to part time employees for years to save on benefits. They are all using Obamacare as the excuse as it is politically encouraged. If there were a single payer system it would be even better for businesses, but the Affordable Care Act will have to do.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:43 PM

This thread is the first I've heard of it being done without a middleman company. I've heard of this sort of arrangement referred to as "permatemp".

Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Most temp agencies are w-2 as they know the IRS will rip them a new rear orifice if they try it.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Oh this is old news in South Carolina.
Many of the jobs down here are independent contractor jobs.
Literally, just in my small town, hundreds of jobs are.
It's hard to even find a job with any kind of benefits at all,
even if you are an employee.
The pay is sooo bad, I actually feel kind of sorry for people who
don't understand what a 1099 is and go to file taxes and find out
they owe money for SS Trust Fund taxes, and they don't make much to
begin with.
This is very common in the south.
Trust me on this one.
This will be even more common place in the future, because after all,
its all about making as much money as you can, right?

Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
This thread is the first I've heard of it being done without a middleman company. I've heard of this sort of arrangement referred to as "permatemp".
Yep this sort of arrangement has become a scourge on my profession. The only positive thing that came out of it for me is I was so relieved when I got my current job that it motivated me to excel beyond belief out of fear of ending up working for scumbags again if anything happened to my job.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM

106 posts, read 309,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You've been without benefits for over a year and you just now started looking? Your making it sound like some horrible job. I would have been looking since day one for something better. If you don't care, why should your employer?
Yes, because I believed them when they told me benefits would come eventually. It's a job in my field that fits exactly in-line with my degree. Why would I look for a new job on day one? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Stop with the personal attacks, they are not warranted here on City-Data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Agreed if you find yourself working for a S_Thead company you should be spending every spare moment looking for a new job and heck if they are really bad you can even consider not giving them the courtesy of a notice though they may retaliate with a bad reference.
I've built good relationships with my coworkers, why would I burn bridges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment