Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times

Advertisements

that is correct. The stuff on the list are the criteria the IRS uses to determine status. It is a good summary of the questions asked on form ss-8. There are cases where a person is 1099 and a couple of points on the list applies but in most cases if more than a few apply you are an employee and the IRS nearly always rules employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:39 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,613,250 times
If it's any consolation, I'm in the same boat as you. My contract ended a few weeks ago and my agency has extended my contract indefinitely. No one has discussed making me a full-time employee and my boss has done very little training nor explaining things to me. The gal in my cubicle next to me was here over a year and they just made her full-time. The only good part is making ok money.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM

21,879 posts, read 25,195,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
that is correct. The stuff on the list are the criteria the IRS uses to determine status. It is a good summary of the questions asked on form ss-8. There are cases where a person is 1099 and a couple of points on the list applies but in most cases if more than a few apply you are an employee and the IRS nearly always rules employee.
There are cases where a person is a 1099 and answers most of those questions yes. It's more about degree, but even then, that really says little.

For example, I provide THE key service that is the reason for companies to exist. I'm Mr. Front Line. That's a big check mark on the "employee" column. My services are completely integral and without them and the other workers (all of whom are contractors) there would be no business. We're still independent contractors. Likewise, most places are seriously anal about "agency" contracts as we call them. That's explicitly in our contractors. The face-to-face is to be done by YOU personally and not contracted out to someone else. Continuing relationship... it's a small field, people have ongoing relationships from the day they start until the day they retire. Check for employee. There's others, but those are the big "employee" items where we very strongly look like employees. For example, it's abnormal for us to be paid expenses or paid per time interval. It happens but isn't the norm. Generally we cover our own expenses and are paid per assignment.

Now, some of the people working for the government as long-term contractors? They're definitely employees. If it ever got challenged, the government would lose that. There's a few items that are not emphatic yeses for long-term government contract workers. There are people that do that for two or three years at a time, five days a week. Nobody has ever challenged it since historically you usually did that for 6 months or a year as a probationary period. It's just been recently with the budget that they don't hire employees anymore. They also have some legitimate contractors. I've done contract work for the government, but it's short term. I don't have office space, don't work full-time, accept or reject assignments individually depending on my availability.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,361,223 times
So use your experience to find a full time job with benefits? What are you waiting for? If you can't find anyone else to hire you and give you benefits after over a year of experience, then maybe you should rethink your career path.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM

106 posts, read 309,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
So use your experience to find a full time job with benefits? What are you waiting for? If you can't find anyone else to hire you and give you benefits after over a year of experience, then maybe you should rethink your career path.
Who says I can't find someone to hire me? I haven't been actively looking until recently. I'm simply explaining my experience with the job, and moving on.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoran View Post
Who says I can't find someone to hire me? I haven't been actively looking until recently. I'm simply explaining my experience with the job, and moving on.
You've been without benefits for over a year and you just now started looking? Your making it sound like some horrible job. I would have been looking since day one for something better. If you don't care, why should your employer?

Old 10-21-2013, 06:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoran View Post
Why don't you unionize with your contract coworkers to demand FT status? Don't quit in this economy, just don't work unpaid OT for them.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Why don't you unionize with your contract coworkers to demand FT status? Don't quit in this economy, just don't work unpaid OT for them.
Unions are for bums. By the time you put forth all the effort to join a union, you could have just found another job. WTF? Just find another job!

Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Agreed if you find yourself working for a S_Thead company you should be spending every spare moment looking for a new job and heck if they are really bad you can even consider not giving them the courtesy of a notice though they may retaliate with a bad reference.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

For example, I provide THE key service that is the reason for companies to exist. I'm Mr. Front Line. That's a big check mark on the "employee" column. My services are completely integral and without them and the other workers (all of whom are contractors) there would be no business. We're still independent contractors. Likewise, most places are seriously anal about "agency" contracts as we call them. That's explicitly in our contractors. The face-to-face is to be done by YOU personally and not contracted out to someone else. Continuing relationship... it's a small field, people have ongoing relationships from the day they start until the day they retire. Check for employee. There's others, but those are the big "employee" items where we very strongly look like employees. For example, it's abnormal for us to be paid expenses or paid per time interval. It happens but isn't the norm. Generally we cover our own expenses and are paid per assignment.
The simplest definition of an independent contractor is someone hired for an individual project of defined scope and length like I mentioned design a web page or build a roof, then the contractor completes it and moves on to the next job. If you show up day after day, are given work by a supervisor, and are paid by unit time that is an employee relationship and needs to be w-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment