Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:35 PM

3,730 posts, read 4,655,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I thought this was a post about a woman caring for her dying mother? Whilst I certainly agree that her employer cannot give her unlimited time off ~ calling her a 'cockroach' and going on about the 'welfare state' doesn't seem to belong in this thread.

As for your reference to the Chinese - I have no desire to race to the lowest common denominator in terms of workers rights either. Here in America, we don't make our poor and unemployed 'disappear'; is this what you are advocating for? And, the inferior classes, eh? I wonder where you fall poster.

Somewhere, there is a rational and happy medium. You certainly have not found it.

IF the lady described in the OP is entitled to FMLA, she should certainly avail herself of that. IF she is not; then she may well lose her job and there is not a thing she can do about it.

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,778,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
you're the "Just because I can do it...so should the millions of unemployed." "Bootstrap person" -
your "choose to be unemployed" was was very resentful and extremely offensive to millions if not billions of unemployed people who have circumstances you do not know about. many of us also have disabled and terminally ill family members. Your hard lot in life is not harder than anybody else's. You seem to want to take the prize for "the hardest circumstances" and "if I can so can all the millions" . You don't know someone's life. -
You are right I do not know someone else's circumstances, but I know mine, and I know that I have seen people kill themselves over just portions of what I have been through. i also know that you have been on this message board all day talking crap to me while also complaining about those of us who actually refuse to sit on the internet and complain all day about how bad life sucks, meanwhile you have not had a job in 3 years, I wonder how all this time complaining could be better spent?
Quote:
I don't believe you have the guts to spew like this in public. You say all this because the Internet is a safe cover.
Still flexing your internet muscles I see, believe it or not I have been paid to spew this in public, fact is I refuse to sit around and complain about how hard life is, that is taking the easy way out. But keep telling us how tough you are, and how tough your life is.
Quote:
You are hateful and very resentful. The level to which you are judgmental just blows my mind. By far I have never encountered this level on city-data anywhere. Some people need to put elderly in nursing homes and yes, disabled kids in group homes. And there are hospices for terminally ill. Some have to choose between doing those things or going through extreme hardship, eviction, homelessness, etc. this may be "immoral" to you and that's fine. Other people find it immoral as well but they have no choice. Some people have no extended family/spouses/siblings to help out. Not everyone qualifies for Medicaid/Medicare or other gov't help that you feel they have no right to collect.
Sure some need to put their loved ones in homes, where did I make any kind of judgement on that? I made a judgement on the fact that someone who does not know the person or the overall situation posted that they should dump their loved one in a home so they can keep a part time job, because otherwise you will take it. Yet I have the problem?
Quote:
seriously. I give you the prize for the most judgmental and biased.
Your right I am judgmental and biased, I have a problem with people who complain constantly about the horrible people like me (bootstrappers I believe you call us) that work to improve our situations and are willing to tell people how we did it, and try to offer advice on how they can do it. I am judgemental and biased against people who post all day long about the evil corporations and how the government and unions would solve their problems, and then in their next post tell someone they should stick their parent or child in a home if they want to keep their job, otherwise they want it. I am judgmental against the people who post all day long about how horrible the job market is, and make every excuse they can come up with, while ignoring advice or refusing to change their behavior or location to improve their lives.

So you are right I am just as judgmental and biased as you are, but at least I am not a hypocrite.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:54 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,585,669 times
I would want an employee who had these values that were so important to actually STAY!!!! Its rare to find a child who will take care of a dying parent. I would want to keep that employee on her morals for that reason!! Think about what kind of person that is deep inside! Think of the character.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 27,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I would want an employee who had these values that were so important to actually STAY!!!! Its rare to find a child who will take care of a dying parent. I would want to keep that employee on her morals for that reason!! Think about what kind of person that is deep inside! Think of the character.
Think of the character...then think of the message you send to your other employees. "It's perfectly okay to take time off work! We can function just fine with a depleted staff! Oh, old Aunty Mildred has the tuberculosis, you say? Well, no matter! See you in six months!"

If that's the way most people look at the workplace, well then it's little surprise that we elect the politicians we do and that we are being surpassed by people who are inherently inferior to us such as the Chinese. They are beating us because they refuse to tolerate such attitudes. Don't like it? Well, in China you don't work and then you really suffer the consequences. That's an ethic that we don't value and we are worse off.

And before anyone tells me that the Germans are beating us too...well, they got rid of a population of people they felt were doing more harm than good. I'm not saying they were right, but you can't say they aren't better than us now...

Life is suffering, people. We have forgotten this lesson and paying the price. We want every happiness, and we want it now. Well, we need to be beaten down, day after day. This is how we were meant to live. Remember, life is not permanent. You will die one day, and if you used the talents given to you, then you may very well have a life after death. If you chose to loaf, well, you will be sorry. I am 27 and I personally have no friends or social circle to speak of, but I do have a career I am proud of. I look around at the people of my generation who pride themselves in doing things; when they are on their deathbed they will regret that they were so frivolous and that they did not work harder. Who cares about going to the movies when there is work to be done and money to be made? This generation will, I firmly believe, be the death of this country. That said, we were enabled by those who express the meekness that permeates some of the posts in this thread. Very disappointing that we have reached this point in this country.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,873,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
I am 27 and I personally have no friends or social circle to speak of
I wonder why...

Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 PM

19 posts, read 27,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I wonder why...
Because I refuse to buy into the notion that life is about the pursuit of every trivial thing. I am here on this earth to work, and to make money for my employer. When I die, I will not be thinking to myself "Gee, I wish I'd seen that new stoner comedy everyone is raving about." Instead, I'll be wondering if I did as much as I could do to make money and make my employer better off. They are the reason we exist. We are here to work and everyday I am thankful that my employer chose me and validated my existence. Conception does not equal value. I do not get validation from anything other than work, and I refuse to warp the standards by which I determine my self-worth in order to have friends. If they are my friends because they like my personality, then they are very shallow people. I do not dwell in the frivolous, only in the sensible. I don't want to be liked for who I am, but because I did something with my life. A pity that others think happiness will bring them something. It won't.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I want to share a good story about this topic.

My friend worked for a very small company, so they were not required to provide FMLA. They also did not provide health insurance, so she went without. She was diagnosed with a severe form of breast cancer (most likely would have been caught much earlier had she had insurance and regular check-ups).

She ended up going through cancer treatment for several months. Her employer basically just let her take off time as she needed to while she went through this. She did work each week, but wasn't completely able to predict how much she could work. They could have easily fired her, but they didn't.

I look back and I realize how incredibly fortunate she was.

Now that is a good company with empathy. I am glad they have a moral compass.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,005,495 times
Quote:
Its rare to find a child who will take care of a dying parent.
Bit of a gobsmacker to me that is. Honestly, I don't know of any child who hasn't although I'm sure they're out there - but I can't agree from my own experience that this is "rare".

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,562,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
Because I refuse to buy into the notion that life is about the pursuit of every trivial thing. I am here on this earth to work, and to make money for my employer. When I die, I will not be thinking to myself "Gee, I wish I'd seen that new stoner comedy everyone is raving about." Instead, I'll be wondering if I did as much as I could do to make money and make my employer better off. They are the reason we exist. We are here to work and everyday I am thankful that my employer chose me and validated my existence. Conception does not equal value. I do not get validation from anything other than work, and I refuse to warp the standards by which I determine my self-worth in order to have friends. If they are my friends because they like my personality, then they are very shallow people. I do not dwell in the frivolous, only in the sensible. I don't want to be liked for who I am, but because I did something with my life. A pity that others think happiness will bring them something. It won't.
If this post is a parody, it's a damn good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment