Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
1250 hours is just over 24 hours a week, so it does apply to many part time employees.
Correct. The point I made was that the statement, "Her part time status is irrelevant," was false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 04:22 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
If this post is a parody, it's a damn good one.
Ahh yes, I just checked.... 8 posts from "coop_x"... should have known.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
Think of the character...then think of the message you send to your other employees. "It's perfectly okay to take time off work! We can function just fine with a depleted staff! Oh, old Aunty Mildred has the tuberculosis, you say? Well, no matter! See you in six months!"

If that's the way most people look at the workplace, well then it's little surprise that we elect the politicians we do and that we are being surpassed by people who are inherently inferior to us such as the Chinese. They are beating us because they refuse to tolerate such attitudes. Don't like it? Well, in China you don't work and then you really suffer the consequences. That's an ethic that we don't value and we are worse off.

And before anyone tells me that the Germans are beating us too...well, they got rid of a population of people they felt were doing more harm than good. I'm not saying they were right, but you can't say they aren't better than us now...

Life is suffering, people. We have forgotten this lesson and paying the price. We want every happiness, and we want it now. Well, we need to be beaten down, day after day. This is how we were meant to live. Remember, life is not permanent. You will die one day, and if you used the talents given to you, then you may very well have a life after death. If you chose to loaf, well, you will be sorry. I am 27 and I personally have no friends or social circle to speak of, but I do have a career I am proud of. I look around at the people of my generation who pride themselves in doing things; when they are on their deathbed they will regret that they were so frivolous and that they did not work harder. Who cares about going to the movies when there is work to be done and money to be made? This generation will, I firmly believe, be the death of this country. That said, we were enabled by those who express the meekness that permeates some of the posts in this thread. Very disappointing that we have reached this point in this country.
You have never lost a parent to cancer have you? Look its your parents, its cancer , I went thru it! I also am a conservative. Nobody said God I wish I worked more in the end of their life. They wish they spent more time w/ family. I would be all for this women helping and spending the last months of her mother's life w/ her and helping her. Its death! Its not a job. THe job will be there later. Also do you think this women is gonna be focused on work anyway??? I also would not call this a happiness time for the family. We see things different. I get your point, wait till you see one of your parents get cancer I hope it never happens!!!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Bit of a gobsmacker to me that is. Honestly, I don't know of any child who hasn't although I'm sure they're out there - but I can't agree from my own experience that this is "rare".
If you lived in North Jersey, we have tons of selfish children who only want their parents money! I mean this too! They throw them in the nursing home then to hospice.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:33 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
You have never lost a parent to cancer have you? Look its your parents, its cancer , I went thru it! I also am a conservative. Nobody said God I wish I worked more in the end of their life. They wish they spent more time w/ family. I would be all for this women helping and spending the last months of her mother's life w/ her and helping her. Its death! Its not a job. THe job will be there later. Also do you think this women is gonna be focused on work anyway??? I also would not call this a happiness time for the family. We see things different. I get your point, wait till you see one of your parents get cancer I hope it never happens!!!

Is very apparent that work is coop's entire life. He will give an arm and leg to please and appease his employer. Work is more important than family apparently. But it would be interesting what he would do if one of his parents got cancer (I hope it never happens). I wonder if his focus would be on only work and to hell with his parent being sick? Judging from his posts here I can almost see what side he would choose and its sad.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Stories like this really tug at your heartstrings and it's easy to get mad at the company but in the end it's business and the company maybe can't be without an employee for another months or maybe 6 months, maybe 8 months, maybe a year.

A somewhat similar situation sort of is a friend of mine who has crohns disease and colitis. Was working for a larger insurance company one of the biggest if not hte biggest. Anyhow, he for as long as I've known him has had health problems, trying to get to the bottom of his stomach issues, had his lower intestine taken out, now wears a colositmy bag, still having lots of pain, lots of meds, lots of appointments. His company let him take his time off, I think even gave him some extra paid time, tried letting him work from home but meds made it so he couldn't concentrate.

Anyhow, they worked with him more than many employers would have but eventually had to lay him off. He was mad at the company and I can see where he's comming from I'd be frustrated with the situation as well but really a compny can't function when someone is taking weeks off at a time every few weeks. Other people have to pick up that workload, things probably get dropped in translaction or between employees. At some point it's a business and not a charity and they have to do what's best for the company and other employees.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
At some point it's a business and not a charity and they have to do what's best for the company and other employees.

Yes I agree with your point too. But the sad thing is that sometimes a supervisor's parent is ill, they have no qualms about taking time off. There seems to be a different set of rules for them. Its wrong for those under the supervisor to tend to their ill parent, but yet the supervisor can come and go as they please. This business about not letting people off to attend a parent's funeral or someone in their immediate family is ludicrous. And that is why I would not hesitate to leave such a company in a case like that.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
I work for a government employer that has several thousand employees. The policy is FMLA then another 30 days unpaid leave on a case by case basis. After that you are gone.

In my experience anyone taking that amount of leave does not return. Their situation, although unfortunate, has not improved after four months and they simply move on.

The question is how long should your job be held open? There is a lot of criticism about being cold and heartless but you wouldn't be saying that if you were the one always covering their work. In my case your position MUST be filled everyday. If you are sick someone must work in your place. A four month absence creates a hardship on everyone but some here think that should go on forever. It isn't practical.

The other thing I find odd is the amount of posters who would quit if their employer was like this. Really? You would quit because you did not like how another employee was treated?

Those of you who think this would not be abused have not been managers. I know a guy who started a new job. A few months after he started his mother had a massive stroke and he asked if he could go care for her in another state. He had no sick or vacation time so the compassionate employer advanced his sick time. This went on for several months. Turns out it was all a lie. He was working another full time job about a hundred miles away. He was busted when someone saw a picture of him on the internet at his new employer.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:05 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,299,877 times
We all know for every good son/daughter legitimately using this time to care for a dying parent, there would be 5 employees exploiting the system.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post

The question is how long should your job be held open? There is a lot of criticism about being cold and heartless but you wouldn't be saying that if you were the one always covering their work. In my case your position MUST be filled everyday. If you are sick someone must work in your place. A four month absence creates a hardship on everyone but some here think that should go on forever. It isn't practical.

The other thing I find odd is the amount of posters who would quit if their employer was like this. Really? You would quit because you did not like how another employee was treated?

Just so long as supervisors are held to the same standard about how long their job should be kept open.

Also I said I would quit if they wouldn't let me take off to attend a parents funeral. I absolutely would tell that employer to stick it in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment