Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:49 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,560,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImtheBrilliantest View Post
On one hand, it's business and they need someone to fill that position. On the other hand, it's a heartless move. Pick one.

]On one hand, it's business and they need someone to fill that position. (Right Hand)

On the other hand, it's a heartless move. (Left Hand)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 01:42 PM

128 posts, read 178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, that's often the way it goes.

Sorry, I just found that phrase darkly humorous.
I was thinking the same

Old 10-20-2013, 04:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,058,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I just think I'd have trouble sleeping at night if I fired someone for this reason, that's all.
Unlike the boss at the OP's company, that makes you a member of the human race. I'd be in the same position as you. I'd NEVER forgive myself. Nor should this boss. EVER. If you believe in a higher power, he won't forgive you for this, and he shouldn't.

I once worked for a company where both I, and the company prez, who regarded me as a "quasi son" treated a long-term employee cavalierly when she was leaving. She had come in at times weekends included, against a doctors advice. Super dedicated. He was, as I was than, active in the Roman Catholic Church. He knew how I felt, and hated to hear it, when after discussing his unethical treatment, I left his office saying "Don't forget church on Sunday". He still offered me a reference 4 weeks later when I left, and I told him to put it in a certain orifice, reminding him of his prior actions.

The message to him was the same one most corps lose in the heat of the moment. Doing the right thing when the going gets toughest is both the only moral thing to do, and long-term, the better thing to do for the bottom line.

I'd bet the OP is not the sole person at his corp having doubts about his employer. Again, a $50k base spot, costs $70k with benes, the first 6 months of a hire are a loss-that costs you $35k, plus another $15k for the recruiter. So anyone who changes their view at a corp over a reprehensible action like this cost the company $50k.

I'd strongly advise the OP to seek a new job, and get liked minded friends at the company to do the same. I cannot imagine what future moral boundary they would hesitate to cross.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:13 PM

15 posts, read 32,912 times
Consider the size of a family. Consider what it does when someone needs help.

There's a lot of sacrifices to be made, and I'm pretty sure there's very few extended families that even come close to having 250 people. Even with turnover, such a company should easily be able to make the sacrifice of having someone taking an extended leave of absence. If not, the company was spread way too thin to begin with.

I think that company clearly does not really value its employees.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:21 AM

3,730 posts, read 4,655,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelblue View Post

I think that company clearly does not really value its employees.

Of course they don't value them. They are only concerned about the bottom line. Human kindness and decency is not even in the equation.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 27,656 times
I'm jumping in a bit late, but I think you should let her go. Under no circumstances should this be tolerated; and I absolutely believe in the slippery slope argument. It is sad it is happening, but too bad. Life is tough and she shouldn't expect anyone to help her, ever. If it were me I would let her go sooner rather than later, even though it might temporarily put you in a bind. I believe that a person's worth is tied directly to their work - if her work suffers, her value diminishes. That's her value as an employee and a person. I manage several people, and I wouldn't want a person who isn't worth my time working for me. If they have other priorities, then they have to suffer the consequences that come with preferring to loaf and freeload. Ask yourself this: would you want someone working for you whose main goal IS NOT maximizing your bottom line? If the answer is no, then you know what to do. If the answer is yes, and I'll get flamed for saying this, then you need to reconsider your priorities as a businessperson. You need to send a message to your staff - this isn't tolerated, and if they get so much as an inkling to pull something like this, they will be crushed. The hammer needs to not just drive the nail in; in this instance it should be pulverized.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,164,605 times
Ebenezer Scrooge, is that you!?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,680,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
I'm jumping in a bit late, but I think you should let her go. Under no circumstances should this be tolerated; and I absolutely believe in the slippery slope argument. It is sad it is happening, but too bad. Life is tough and she shouldn't expect anyone to help her, ever. If it were me I would let her go sooner rather than later, even though it might temporarily put you in a bind. I believe that a person's worth is tied directly to their work - if her work suffers, her value diminishes. That's her value as an employee and a person. I manage several people, and I wouldn't want a person who isn't worth my time working for me. If they have other priorities, then they have to suffer the consequences that come with preferring to loaf and freeload. Ask yourself this: would you want someone working for you whose main goal IS NOT maximizing your bottom line? If the answer is no, then you know what to do. If the answer is yes, and I'll get flamed for saying this, then you need to reconsider your priorities as a businessperson. You need to send a message to your staff - this isn't tolerated, and if they get so much as an inkling to pull something like this, they will be crushed. The hammer needs to not just drive the nail in; in this instance it should be pulverized.
Welcome to employment 'at will' folks! Happy now?

I basically gave time limitation but in a much less hostile way.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,778,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
False.
[Source: US Department of Labor.]
1250 hours is just over 24 hours a week, so it does apply to many part time employees.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,539,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I work in a big company with around 275-300 employees. Everyone is entitled to a month leave of absence during the first three months of the year.

One part-time employee had a mother dying of cancer. There was no definite date set as to when she would die, so it could have taken months, maybe even longer.

Well this employee took a whole month off to care for her mother, and when she asked to extend her unpaid leave, my company basically did not give her the option of doing that. Their philosophy is basically an employee can only have unpaid undetermined leave of absence for dying spouses or children. Other close family is not allowed, even if you live with them.

Do you think this is wrong? Or would granting this employee an undetermined leave open the doors for other employees leaving to take care of close dying relatives?
Several things:

With any terminal illness, there is never a definite date set as to when someone is to die, but especially cancer as people can go into remission several times and then finally succumb to cancer.

Second, she already took an entire month off to care for the parent, as allowed by company policy.
The rule is that only spouses and children qualify for this undetermined leave. Very few companies in the world today in this economy will give anybody "undetermined leave". Are you serious? I think she should be grateful she got that at all. She should find a hospice/home health aide or other family to help. She is a part timer on top of that. Otherwise, f*n resign.

I have been underemployed for 3 years. I would literally give an arm or leg for her job. Put me out on an operating table, take my arm in exchange for her job. She's ungrateful and is trying to take advantage. There are at least 500 people who would take her job in a heartbeat, with lower pay and without bennies. And she wants MORE leave? - Where do these people come from...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment