Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 AM

181 posts, read 386,462 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to apply for a job as a Marketing Coordinator, and looking for some help in how to answer these questions. Any help would be appreciated...Also, below is the job description if anyone has any experience and give more insight on what to expect with the position.

Please describe what you think makes something a good piece of inbound marketing collateral.
Please explain what makes someone an outstanding marketer and why you would want to be in marketing.

Also, the job description reads like this :

Job Duties Include:
· Coordinate and manage our inbound marketing development
· Draft, write and edit a variety of materials such as press releases, executive bios, corporate newsletters, social media and website content, newspaper articles, internal communications, etc. to feature in national, local, and industry-related media.
· Manage Knowland’s social media content (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.)
· Compose articles and columns on behalf of CEO or other management executives for industry publications.
· Identify opportunities to implement The Knowland Group’s public relations and communications strategy.
· Field questions and inquiries from the press and other outside agencies.

Job Requirements: The Marketing Coordinator will have a knack for and an understanding of the benefit of using inbound marketing collateral to increase sales for the organization and to create brand awareness. Experience using social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) and writing press releases, newspaper articles, and website content are ideal for this position. Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism, Marketing or other related field is required. Must have impeccable communications and writing skills, as well as conscientious research and information gathering skills. The ideal candidate will be proficient with MS Office and have experience with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,715,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missdiagnosis View Post
I'm looking to apply for a job as a Marketing Coordinator, and looking for some help in how to answer these questions. Any help would be appreciated...Also, below is the job description if anyone has any experience and give more insight on what to expect with the position.

Please describe what you think makes something a good piece of inbound marketing collateral.
Please explain what makes someone an outstanding marketer and why you would want to be in marketing.

Also, the job description reads like this :

Job Duties Include:
· Coordinate and manage our inbound marketing development
· Draft, write and edit a variety of materials such as press releases, executive bios, corporate newsletters, social media and website content, newspaper articles, internal communications, etc. to feature in national, local, and industry-related media.
· Manage Knowland’s social media content (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, etc.)
· Compose articles and columns on behalf of CEO or other management executives for industry publications.
· Identify opportunities to implement The Knowland Group’s public relations and communications strategy.
· Field questions and inquiries from the press and other outside agencies.

Job Requirements: The Marketing Coordinator will have a knack for and an understanding of the benefit of using inbound marketing collateral to increase sales for the organization and to create brand awareness. Experience using social media outlets (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.) and writing press releases, newspaper articles, and website content are ideal for this position. Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, Journalism, Marketing or other related field is required. Must have impeccable communications and writing skills, as well as conscientious research and information gathering skills. The ideal candidate will be proficient with MS Office and have experience with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
Since the position asks for an english degree or related field, does that mean I could apply? I have a degree in history btw. I always see positions like this but I don't usually apply since it doesn't just say Bachelor's degree for education.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,760,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Since the position asks for an english degree or related field, does that mean I could apply? I have a degree in history btw. I always see positions like this but I don't usually apply since it doesn't just say Bachelor's degree for education.
Apply to those positions anyway. I wouldn't say no to yourself, I would make them say no.... which means I will apply for anything I think I'd like and could possibly be a great fit for.... worst thing that will happen is they say no and I'm no worse off than when I started!

I applied for a finance position that requested five years of experience when I only had 2.5.... I still got the job. Had I been like "I don't have five years of experience...." I wouldn't have gotten the job.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Apply to those positions anyway. I wouldn't say no to yourself, I would make them say no.... which means I will apply for anything I think I'd like and could possibly be a great fit for.... worst thing that will happen is they say no and I'm no worse off than when I started!

I applied for a finance position that requested five years of experience when I only had 2.5.... I still got the job. Had I been like "I don't have five years of experience...." I wouldn't have gotten the job.
I understand that, but I have maybe heard of only two stories ever where people with history degrees got jobs like that, so it's kind of disheartening.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,775,057 times
Quote:
I understand that, but I have maybe heard of only two stories ever where people with history degrees got jobs like that, so it's kind of disheartening.
"or other related field".

English has nothing to do with twitter or Facebook. They're most likely looking for someone with very good writing skills. History has a lot to do with a lot of things, and as a sideline, getting degrees in it typically requires a lot of reading and writing.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,090,304 times
Quote:
Are you a good writer? Then go for it. Attach some writing samples, or include your writing experience in your cover letter.

In a marketing coordinator role, they are looking for someone who enjoys the general work required, and someone who is creative enough to apply their previous experiences to the role.

My friend was a history major and went into marketing. She is a senior manager now. I did not major in marketing or english, and I am in marketing now as well. Most of my marketing peers did not have a related major either. To the tune of 40% at the worst case.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,760,864 times
Quote:
Yes, but that is two vs. zero if they didn't apply.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
"or other related field".

English has nothing to do with twitter or Facebook. They're most likely looking for someone with very good writing skills. History has a lot to do with a lot of things, and as a sideline, getting degrees in it typically requires a lot of reading and writing.
I was always confused by the other related field part, while I know that history and english are somewhat similar, it's trying to make HR see that fit and help them get over their biases. I get asked all the time am I going to keep teaching, like that's the only thing that I can do with this degree, it's kind of annoying, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Are you a good writer? Then go for it. Attach some writing samples, or include your writing experience in your cover letter.

In a marketing coordinator role, they are looking for someone who enjoys the general work required, and someone who is creative enough to apply their previous experiences to the role.

My friend was a history major and went into marketing. She is a senior manager now. I did not major in marketing or english, and I am in marketing now as well. Most of my marketing peers did not have a related major either. To the tune of 40% at the worst case.
I would enjoy the work there, in fact, I almost thought about going back to school for a second bachelor's or a masters in communications. I like the typical office setting. You say that you are in marketing now, what did you major in, if I may ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Yes, but that is two vs. zero if they didn't apply.
So true, you are right there!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,090,304 times
Quote:
I was always confused by the other related field part, while I know that history and english are somewhat similar, it's trying to make HR see that fit and help them get over their biases. I get asked all the time am I going to keep teaching, like that's the only thing that I can do with this degree, it's kind of annoying, actually.

I would enjoy the work there, in fact, I almost thought about going back to school for a second bachelor's or a masters in communications. I like the typical office setting. You say that you are in marketing now, what did you major in, if I may ask?

So true, you are right there!
American studies, it was create your own liberal arts major. My first post college job was in PR. Great for general liberal arts or social science majors. Research, writing, and communicating. You learn a ton applicable to any job in the future. And there is a lot Of turnover so there are always jobs. (People get promoted quickly or leave the firm for more money later).

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
American studies, it was create your own liberal arts major. My first post college job was in PR. Great for general liberal arts or social science majors. Research, writing, and communicating. You learn a ton applicable to any job in the future. And there is a lot Of turnover so there are always jobs. (People get promoted quickly or leave the firm for more money later).

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Oh wow, well it's good to know that someone with a liberal arts degree is making it, the way some of the people complain about the arts and STEM degrees, you wouldn't think so. Did you go to a very good college? I didn't really go to a good good school, but I have a degree in History. We have a create our own major too, it's either general or interdisciplinary studies, but most people end up being teachers...did you ever get asked why weren't you teaching? I get asked that question all the time.

Oh one more thing, I also read that there was a lot of stress in marketing/pr jobs...why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment