Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM

120 posts, read 194,134 times

Advertisements

Guy calls me to come in to their office a month ago. Usual stuff: filled out a bunch of paperwork, talked to the guy about my resume. He seemed pretty knowledge about tech and about all the businesses in the area. Tells me what sort of temp work he thinks would be up my alley. The following few days after that he's calling me and telling me about the positions he's submitted me for. Ok, sounds good, although I never heard any followup about those.

Then yesterday I hear from him for the first time in a month. Tells me about a software internship position and he wants me to send him an updated version of my resume and do some PHP and HTML tutorials that he's going to give me a link to. Also tells me that I should call to check in with him once a week. I send him my resume but he doesn't confirm that he got it or send me the link he said he would send me.

I dunno what to think about all this. Some people say that RHT is a scam and they're just resume hoarding and post fake positions. That must be somewhat true since I've seen them repost some of the same positions for weeks on Dice. Then again the guy I've talked to seems genuine and I don't understand what he has to gain by keeping in touch with me.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,905,474 times
Recruiters will only spend time on you when they feel they have a good shot of placing you and thus earning a commission. They deal with several dozen candidates at any one time, so expecting a recruiter's absolute undivided attention is naive at best. He is most likely staying in touch because there might be a position that could open up sometime, that you would be a good fit for. He wants to keep you in hand so he could earn a commission - which is perfectly reasonable.

I've heard mixed things about RHT, but in general, you would do well to not rely on recruiters as your sole source for new job leads.

And do check out my advice re. recruiters in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...rs.htmlhttp://

Btw, I work in the tech field myself.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 PM

120 posts, read 194,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
Recruiters will only spend time on you when they feel they have a good shot of placing you and thus earning a commission. They deal with several dozen candidates at any one time, so expecting a recruiter's absolute undivided attention is naive at best. He is most likely staying in touch because there might be a position that could open up sometime, that you would be a good fit for. He wants to keep you in hand so he could earn a commission - which is perfectly reasonable.

I've heard mixed things about RHT, but in general, you would do well to not rely on recruiters as your sole source for new job leads.

And do check out my advice re. recruiters in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...rs.htmlhttp://

Btw, I work in the tech field myself.
That link doesn't work

Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
That link doesn't work
you work in tech and you don't know how to fix a broken link? lol j/k.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ecruiters.html

Old 09-06-2013, 11:38 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,667,870 times
One of the reasons recruiters "keep in touch" is to find out if you've gone somewhere new in hopes that you may be able to connect them to a hiring manager in your new company or know of any teammates who are leaving in hopes of filling those vacancies.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
One of the reasons recruiters "keep in touch" is to find out if you've gone somewhere new in hopes that you may be able to connect them to a hiring manager in your new company or know of any teammates who are leaving in hopes of filling those vacancies.
yes very true, i totally forgot to mention this.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,743,872 times
i have a friend who got a job using Robert Half finance. I worked with the same recruiter and nothing happened. I found my own position.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
He probably submitted you. They get hundreds and hundreds of emails per day. Ask him again about the link. since he probably was handling more urgen temails.

Put something in the subject line of email that will jog his memory. In the first line of the email specify the date you talked to him and also specify what company/position he was going to submit you to and that he was going to send you a link. Ask if he can send you the link and ask if got any feedback on your resume submittal.

It's a numbers game dealing with them. Don't burn your bridges. They are slammed with calls, emails, job listings and often they dont follow up as much as they wish they could due to time constraints.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,424,047 times
They don't always submit you and they sometimes use you just to fish for information.

They do that to gather resumes so when they do have a client, they can say " Oh i have 10 prospective applicants bla bla bla" and that's how they build their portfolio. It is a technique well known that headhunters use.

Read about it here http://www.recareered.com/blog/2011/01/28/career-a...how-to-recognize-fake-job-ads/

Quote:
In my prior life as a recruiter, my offices were required to have a minimum number of jobs posted each week … even if we didn’t have enough current job orders. This requirement was audited as part of our offices’ performance and reported all the way up to the President of the company.

In addition, even if we had job orders, we were required to post additional ads for “typical” jobs that we often filled … even if there wasn’t an immediate need for that specific job. Part of what drove this requirement was my company’s relationship with CareerBuilder. My prior employer was one of CareerBuilder’s largest advertisers and purchased an unlimited advertising package with them. So our corporate office encouraged (insisted on is a better description) fake job ads to drive a pipeline of candidate resumes to keep our inventory of candidates strong, maximizing their use of an unlimited package.

ALSO this one:
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/2013062...2594-when-the-headhunter-calls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment