Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM

653 posts, read 1,802,557 times

Advertisements

I am working on getting an executive position in a medium sized tech company, and Robert Half brought the job to me.

Although I expect the compensation to be good if I get it, I am envisioning paying a huge fee to Half.

How does this work, to anyone who has been through this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Whatever salary that they offered is what you'll get. So if they offered you $15/hr, that's what you'll get. RH will already have their fees taken out before hand in accordance with the deal they made with their client, or your potential employer. I worked with both Office Team and Accountemps, both subsidiaries of RH, and that's how they did things.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
The company should be paying any fee, not you. Do you really think they would go through the entire hiring process and then just tell you what you owe them at the end?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Ooo.

Well back in the Olden Days the headhunter got a percentage of your salary. I didn't know whether that was just for the first year, forever, whether it included bonuses, etc.

So Half was retained by the company and is working on their behalf. Would this normally mean that they are the exclusive agent for that job and it's not being offered elsewhere?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
So Half was retained by the company and is working on their behalf. Would this normally mean that they are the exclusive agent for that job and it's not being offered elsewhere?
Indeed. You shouldn't see anything additional taken out.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Ooo.

Well back in the Olden Days the headhunter got a percentage of your salary.
That is how it generally works today. I think you are just confused on who actually pays the amount.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,522,738 times
Quote:
Not always but chances are good that it is an exclusive posting. I find it depends on where you live. In Chicago any job an agency sent me to interview for was an exclusive agreement. But in SC it seems in some cases several agencies are recruiting for the same job.

I used an agency in Chicago 4 times throughout 25 years. I always had a job in about a week. Here in SC they only seem to care about you if you want to temp and have few full-time positions available. It sure is a different world down here.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,900,708 times
any money made by robert half will be paid by your employer and not by you, so you have nothing to worry about.

i work in IT in NYC too and have had a good bit of experience with headhunters and recruiters. never have i heard of anyone having to pay anything to their recruiter or headhunter, it's always the hiring firm that pays them.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:31 AM

Interesting.

So here's the next question: During the interview the recruiter seemed a bit nervous about disclosing the name of the hiring company. After the interview though, he did send me an email with the details of the job and the company name. This was Tuesday. Wednesday I sent him an email saying that I do want this job and made clear that I am working through him to get it. Haven't heard a word since.

So can I reasonably assume that he does not have an exclusive, and that he's now trying to negotiate a fee with the hiring firm? I will certainly use him if he's functional, as he brought me the job, but how long do I wait to not hear back from him? Another thread here recently was about a recruiter screaming at the applicant because he contacted the company directly. I am honorable and will help this guy get paid, but also I don't want to wait forever if the company will not pay him.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Its only been a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment