Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:24 PM

177 posts, read 532,558 times

Advertisements

Since I am still in the job market I want to leave all my options open at this point and I been talking to agencies a bit.
Robert Half Technology had called me to set up a meeting. I went to their job site and they do have jobs but I am not sure if they are even real.

They also just emailed me over paperwork to fill out and they are asking for very personal info up front.
They want ALOT of references, managers, peer to peer etc... and also a list of places where I have interviewed lately.

I know we talked about this on the board but me personally I am DONE giving such info out up front.

My question, should I still go talk to them ?
Has anyone ever used RHT for their job search ? Are they ok .... or just like any other agency ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,497,102 times
They are rated as one of the worst to work for........google it. I worked for their competitor way back in 98-99. They are asking for references as a new source of leads for them. They may not even have that job and are just churning for your resume.

I would call their bluff and say I would be happy to provide references once we have found a good fit for me. My references are busy people like you and I am sure your understand.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:43 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,666,304 times
What ColoradoXXX said . . .

Robert Half is just one of a huge bunch of agencies that are under Office Team.
They're mining your resume for companies to sell services to, most likely.

Generally speaking, if an agency gets you a job, it most likely will be a McJob, which is fine, just know what to expect.
Ive lived in two states where McJobs were needed in the absence of real employment, and in both of those states, Craigslist worked the best. Agencies just wasted my time.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:45 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,321 times
NEVER ever give any references or personal info upfront EVER. I've had this happen to me but I knew it was bs right there and than. They are trying to obtain names of your current and/or past managers so they can solicit business to them. Any recruiter/employer or does this to me I will always refuse to give it upfront. I will would never ever work for Robert Half Technology because they are sleezy and the worse to work for.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 PM

YES I know now not to give my references up front....
I was just wondering if anyone ever hand any luck with RTH or if they are just after your connections... ?

I just don't want to waste my time going downtown tomorrow... when I could be at home looking for a real job .....

Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
What ColoradoXXX said . . .

Robert Half is just one of a huge bunch of agencies that are under Office Team.
They're mining your resume for companies to sell services to, most likely.

Generally speaking, if an agency gets you a job, it most likely will be a McJob, which is fine, just know what to expect.
Ive lived in two states where McJobs were needed in the absence of real employment, and in both of those states, Craigslist worked the best. Agencies just wasted my time.

I agree. I have used craigslist in the past and got good jobs at Pharmaceutical Companies...

Old 08-08-2013, 04:22 PM

213 posts, read 504,534 times
Woah .... wait a minute. Can someone explain to me the whole RHT scam? I'm guessing I missed some other threads on this.

I recently made a thread about how I hated giving out references but had to. That was after being called in to visit a RHT office and filling out a bunch of paperwork and being asked for references. I had know idea this was some sort of scam. Is it? I talked to a guy there for like an hour and the next day he called me about some temp work at Amazon which he submitted me for. Is this really all a scam? How does it work? I'm confused.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,497,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
Woah .... wait a minute. Can someone explain to me the whole RHT scam? I'm guessing I missed some other threads on this.

I recently made a thread about how I hated giving out references but had to. That was after being called in to visit a RHT office and filling out a bunch of paperwork and being asked for references. I had know idea this was some sort of scam. Is it? I talked to a guy there for like an hour and the next day he called me about some temp work at Amazon which he submitted me for. Is this really all a scam? How does it work? I'm confused.
It's not black and white. Sometimes scam to ask for ref. so they can cold call those people and put their names in the database. They just keep "daisy chaining" until they have a lot of names. So did you get any interviews or assignments yet? If you did prob. no scam if not after a few weeks prob scam.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:32 PM

213 posts, read 504,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
It's not black and white. Sometimes scam to ask for ref. so they can cold call those people and put their names in the database. They just keep "daisy chaining" until they have a lot of names. So did you get any interviews or assignments yet? If you did prob. no scam if not after a few weeks prob scam.
Like I said, he called me about a position he was submitting me for. I'll let you guys know how this plays out.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:33 PM

827 posts, read 1,090,607 times
I did gig for them back in 2007-2008 when I was breaking into IT for the first time. Hated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment