Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM

500 posts, read 971,513 times

Advertisements

Well, from what I have read from the differing points of view on this thread, it's easy to identify people who have success in their careers, and folks who will never achieve professional happiness.

I guess I'm fortunate to be retired so that I don't have to face the real life problems that every generation of workers have had to anymore.

What a bunch of do nothing whiners. Unless you grow up and start acting like responsible adults, I will weep for your children. Reading this thread has been a total waste of time, but I should have expected that in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM

796 posts, read 860,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
No i understand what they are thinking though I think you found the right area to move if you could. The south is notoriously low COL and has a good number of churches. The issue is he is saying the same as I, moving on 20 dollars in your pocket (even if you have a credit card) is not a good possibility unless you have a job lined up (not as easy as more and more employers are not taking out of state applications) or you can find a job with quick hiring response (again not as easy with all the steps in the hiring process.) So yes unless you are willing to live on Ramen, raw potatoes and soylent green, you may not want to move with that little amount of money in your pocket.

Also the math is a little suspect because unless you got a job right off the bat, you would have not been able to move into a trailer right away. I believe that is what was said but I am not in the mood to go back and double check.
Well I think he was an SI. But that's just my opinion. I clearly said I had a job where I moved to. I only had to survive until the first paycheck so I needed little help. I never suggested moving with no hope of an intimidate job. This guy is like those who tell the Jew's that Hitler did nothing to them. I am sick of people who think they know more than anyone and tell you that what you lived though is a lie and question what you have experienced. I lived through it and this SI has no right to question what I have lived through.

Last edited by balunman; 08-01-2013 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
Well I think he was an SI. But that's just my opinion. I clearly said I had a job where I moved to. I only had to survive until the first paycheck so I needed little help. I never suggested moving with no hope of an intimidate job. This guy is like those who tell the Jew's that Hitler did nothing to them. I am sick of people who think they know more than anyone and tell you that what you lived though is a lie and question what you have experienced. I lived through it and this SI has no right to question what I have lived through.
My issue is just with people that say if you are unemployed, move to an area there are jobs. I find that logic to be pretty hap-hazard and not specific to one's situation. If they have connections to the area, that's great. If they have the shovel waiting for them, that's even better. The issue is many (not necessarily you but others on this thread and other forums) just say if you are unemployed and don't move to where jobs are you are only hurting your job choices. The fact is, if you have a way to live off the money in your pocket to start (which you did) you should but many unemployed people don't and yet are told "oh move already and stop your bellyaching about not finding work." The economics in the move sometimes price it out, particularly if you are on "the Dol."

Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
My issue is just with people that say if you are unemployed, move to an area there are jobs. I find that logic to be pretty hap-hazard and not specific to one's situation. If they have connections to the area, that's great. If they have the shovel waiting for them, that's even better. The issue is many (not necessarily you but others on this thread and other forums) just say if you are unemployed and don't move to where jobs are you are only hurting your job choices. The fact is, if you have a way to live off the money in your pocket to start (which you did) you should but many unemployed people don't and yet are told "oh move already and stop your bellyaching about not finding work." The economics in the move sometimes price it out, particularly if you are on "the Dol."
There is always a way if you really want to work. I believe some people don't care enough to do the hard things. Unless you have a physical handicap ( I mean a real one ) I am not sympathetic if your not happy with your income. Until you learn that it is up to you and decide you want more then you are choosing what you have. Sorry, I have been there and do not buy the excuses. If I can do it, anyone can.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,446,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I can't say I blame them. They're being paid minimum wage ($7.25/hour in NY) with NO benefits at all while these corporations are making billions in profit every year.

They're asking for $15/hour (which would barely get you by in NYC) and benefits and the right to form a union.

I'm thinking they'll get $10/hour, very few benefits, and no union.

I hope they're successful. I don't eat at fast food places but I think these people deserve a decent wage.
I think minimum wage is sufficient for a job that requires minimal skill and experience. These people want to raise families or live middle class lifestyles on this wage, and that's where their thinking is flawed. These wages and jobs are not designed to raise families or live middle class lifestyles. They are meant for people to gain experience and move on to something better. Maybe if they can't afford to raise their babies on this wage, they should A) stop having babies they can't afford and B) aspire to a higher wage job. Go to school, earn a degree or learn a trade, and earn that higher wage with the skills you've acquired.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think minimum wage is sufficient for a job that requires minimal skill and experience. These people want to raise families or live middle class lifestyles on this wage, and that's where their thinking is flawed. These wages and jobs are not designed to raise families or live middle class lifestyles. They are meant for people to gain experience and move on to something better. Maybe if they can't afford to raise their babies on this wage, they should A) stop having babies they can't afford and B) aspire to a higher wage job. Go to school, earn a degree or learn a trade, and earn that higher wage with the skills you've acquired.
Or join the military or get a job driving a truck. Both will train you. Where I live they cannot keep enough School Bus Drivers. They will even train you and prepare you for the driving test. Of course the problem with most of those jobs is too many people will not give up drugs to pass the drug test or have felony convictions that prevent them from getting those jobs. But that's their own fault.

I had to run an ad on Craigslist and the local news paper to ever find anyone who would actually show up at my house to hang drywall.

My point is that people make choices that result in the wages they are capable of earning. It's up to them to do what it takes to make more. And walking off your job and demanding more for a job not worth what your now making is not the way to do it.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,141,373 times
Quote:
Perhaps I do but I do not have the resources available to me in my area as you did. The nearest town has little for job help and that is 20 minutes out. Not everyone has optimal positions. I submitted applications virtually daily at some point and barely got any interviews and the only companies that would interview me were scam sales and the only offers I got were through Vector Marketing (who never really don't hire anyone) and insurance companies. No matter what I put in for whether it was retail or fast food. I guess the degree scared them cause "I could jump ship as soon as I got experience."
You would only be driving once or twice a week for the class.

If a 20 minute drive is an obstacle, you can forget about a job. That's a shorter commute to the city than most suburb dwellers. Try navigating the congestion in Houston at 5 pm. You will be lucky to make it to the burbs in 40 minutes.

If you change your mind, here is what I found with Google. Otherwise, we can agree to disagree. I did my time and I am reaping the rewards. Life is sweet.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...tors-help.html
Career Connector
Toastmasters International - Home

Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,516,136 times
Toastmasters is a good one I forget about. I took PS in college so no need, but that would be good for many.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You would only be driving once or twice a week for the class.

If a 20 minute drive is an obstacle, you can forget about a job. That's a shorter commute to the city than most suburb dwellers. Try navigating the congestion in Houston at 5 pm. You will be lucky to make it to the burbs in 40 minutes.

If you change your mind, here is what I found with Google. Otherwise, we can agree to disagree. I did my time and I am reaping the rewards. Life is sweet.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...tors-help.html
Career Connector
Toastmasters International - Home
Not everyone can get money from unemployment. Unemployment don't work for recent college graduates unless they were let go from their last job. Unless of course you were fired with cause... 20 minutes back and forth on no gas money isn't easy.

As for Toastmasters, the nearest resource center is 40 minutes both ways for me. I looked at that option in the past.
Career Connectors is a similar boat.

Not whining but you talk about Houston being bad, Phoenix is just as bad and I am easily an hour out (if not more) with normal traffic. Forget rush-hour.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,389,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Where do you live that $10 an hour is a living wage???? $400 week.... after taxes, maybe $325. If you have to pay for benefits (medical, dental), you might walk home with $250-$275. Please tell me what city and state you can live off that because I'm coming to live there.
Ashtabula, Ohio., I know, I left there 8 years ago. I had enough of low wages, so, I packed up what I could fit in my busted ass '94 dodge truck, and moved to Colorado with $2000 I saved from selling tools and other things. Got a job on the second day in town, turns out deciding to be a mechanic 15 years ago paid off.

Sometimes, you CAN just pick up and move, if you know you can get a new job somewhere else. I realize that it's not like that in every career field though.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 08-01-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment