Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:50 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,025,442 times

Advertisements

I hope they fire them all and teach them a lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:52 AM

72 posts, read 116,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
You don't have much respect for fellow human beings, do you? What a sad, sad attitude.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM

796 posts, read 866,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
They have a right to complain and hold signs. Now any who do not show up for work should be fired. They have no right to expect to keep a job if they are not willing to show up when scheduled. So they need to do this on their off time. Unless they are interfering with the business operation. Then they should be fired.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:02 AM

I have owned a business that employed others and have managed 2 business where we employed others. If this happened to me, I would consider as an act of resignation not showing up to work when scheduled and shut down for a month or so. This way they could not draw unemployment and when the got tired of walking around for no reason they would disappear.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,774,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post

It's a small town of Brent, Alabama. Our average household size is 2 and the median income as of 2011 is $37,268. Since most homes have 2 workers you divided that by 2 and get $18,634 per person. And that breaks down to just under $9 per hour. Our cost of living index is 81.1. That US is 100 so we are low on the scale. Here is a link to this mythical land as you call it. https://www.city-data.com/county/Bibb_County-AL.html

So in this town, $10 is not a living wage ---- $18 per hour is a living wage. You can't count 2 salaries as one and then divide that and say it's a living wage. What if there are not 2 salaries coming in? What if it's a single parent or single person household???

So, even in Brent, Alabama, a living wage is $18 per hour.

Your story about $10 per hour being a living wage is as mythical as your story of moving your family with nothing but $20 in your pocket.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM

827 posts, read 1,094,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
So in this town, $10 is not a living wage ---- $18 per hour is a living wage. You can't count 2 salaries as one and then divide that and say it's a living wage. What if there are not 2 salaries coming in? What if it's a single parent or single person household???

Your story about $10 per hour being a living wage is as mythical as your story of moving your family with nothing but $20 in your pocket.
Burger flippers will never get $18 an hour.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,273,898 times
Quote:

Why is that person only working 40 hours/week?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:

And so is the idea that you have half a brain. Done with your calling me a liar.

I hope you face hardship someday and have to make tough decisions so your family can eat. Then you will not set in judgement of everyone else.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,128,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
And so is the idea that you have half a brain. Done with your calling me a liar.

I hope you face hardship someday and have to make tough decisions so your family can eat. Then you will not set in judgement of everyone else.
No i understand what they are thinking though I think you found the right area to move if you could. The south is notoriously low COL and has a good number of churches. The issue is he is saying the same as I, moving on 20 dollars in your pocket (even if you have a credit card) is not a good possibility unless you have a job lined up (not as easy as more and more employers are not taking out of state applications) or you can find a job with quick hiring response (again not as easy with all the steps in the hiring process.) So yes unless you are willing to live on Ramen, raw potatoes and soylent green, you may not want to move with that little amount of money in your pocket.

Also the math is a little suspect because unless you got a job right off the bat, you would have not been able to move into a trailer right away. I believe that is what was said but I am not in the mood to go back and double check.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,128,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You spend too much time posting on forums and complaining, instead of developing your career.

I was laid off in 2008 from my $11-12/hr shipping clerk job. I was a college dropout with less than 30 credits. I never made more than $12/hr for the past 10 yars. I could have gone on these forums and posted complaints every day. I opted to take a weekly career skills class for 9 months. After a few months, I had corrected my resume and learned how to interview without making silly mistakes. I upped my resume response rate from 0/month for the past 2 years to 1-2 calls every week. I got an offer for 12.5k/yr raise. I for a $25k/yr raise. I did so well in the new job, that I got a $5k bonus.

I was laid off again in 2011. I applied my old lessons to a new job hunt. Within 2 months, I calls every week again. I had offers again for $15-20k raise. I picked a $20k/raise. Nowadays, I make over $80k.

I made a choice to not make excuses and tell everybody why I can't get a good job. I chose to take a free weekly class that lasted almost a year. I sacrificed 1-2 evenings every week to attend this class. There were a variety of poor people with different circumstances from single people to single parents with toddlers. The students(over 100 people in multiple locations) averaged a 40% increase in salary. I made a 100% increase.

It would have been easier if I stayed home. I just got sick and tired of working for nothing for the last 10 years, so I went to class.
Perhaps I do but I do not have the resources available to me in my area as you did. The nearest town has little for job help and that is 20 minutes out. Not everyone has optimal positions. I submitted applications virtually daily at some point and barely got any interviews and the only companies that would interview me were scam sales and the only offers I got were through Vector Marketing (who never really don't hire anyone) and insurance companies. No matter what I put in for whether it was retail or fast food. I guess the degree scared them cause "I could jump ship as soon as I got experience."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment