Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,720 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if there was anyone else in my position working in a starting job in fast food, and could tell me what all your expenses are, and how much spending money and such you have?

I'm 21, single, not in college, don't have a car, and have no loans or bills currently.

I want to work at a fast food place, and be living in a cheap apartment.

So I just want to know what all my expenses will be, how much getting insurance for things will be, etc.

And ultimately just how much spending money I'll have left over at the end of each payday.

So if someone has the time and patience to write that all out, and estimate around what everything is going to cost that would be great, thanks.

Also, I don't plan on getting TV service, and I would only be getting the cheapest cell phone service, no data plans or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Include $5000 per year for ROth IRA after contributing 401(k) up to your company's contribution limit.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Include $5000 per year for ROth IRA after contributing 401(k) up to your company's contribution limit.
Huh?

Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grillton1153 View Post
Huh?

The sooner you save the more the power of compound growth works in your favor.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The sooner you save the more the power of compound growth works in your favor.
Awesome, although that's not really what I was asking about.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,116,258 times
You would get more response in personal finance than the unemployment forum.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 PM

29,811 posts, read 24,891,001 times
The would probably let you take some unsold food home at the end of the day

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
You would also get more responses if you gave us more information. Are we supposed to guess your salary? Are we supposed to assume they won't be paying any contributions towards your health insurance? Are we supposed to guess what city your living in? Are we supposed to guess what your rent will be?

I think Charles' response was only meant to be about as vague as your post is. That is the only piece of advice he can supply you with because without more information all we will be doing is taking shots in the dark. IMO, working in fast food should never be a "goal" but more of a last resort. Don't be surprised if the answers you receive aren't up to par given your initial post...

Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
You would get more response in personal finance than the unemployment forum.
Sorry, didn't know there was a forum for that, I only just joined yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
You would also get more responses if you gave us more information. Are we supposed to guess your salary? Are we supposed to assume they won't be paying any contributions towards your health insurance? Are we supposed to guess what city your living in? Are we supposed to guess what your rent will be?

I think Charles' response was only meant to be about as vague as your post is. That is the only piece of advice he can supply you with because without more information all we will be doing is taking shots in the dark. IMO, working in fast food should never be a "goal" but more of a last resort. Don't be surprised if the answers you receive aren't up to par given your initial post...
My salary would be $7.25/hr, working 40 hours a week, and let's say either a McDonalds or Burger King, or KFC or something, and most likely somewhere in Maryland, probably either Baltimore or Annapolis, in an apartment most likely in the $400-500 range as far as rent.

I'm not sure what fast food places like the ones I mentioned give as far as contributions towards health insurance, that's why I'm asking for other people in my situation to comment, as other people working in fast food, and who are smarter than I am at this stuff would probably know.

And it's only a "goal" for me insofar as that's as far as I expect to go in life, and I'm okay with that, I don't have any high aspirations for jobs or anything, I'm content with my life situation currently.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
you would have a much greater income potential waiting tables. i guess fast food would be an ok place to start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment