Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:55 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Knight2009,
Thank you so much for your kindness.
I have sorta considered the IT field as people have told me that I am good with computers.
I really don't like reading directions so I have usually been able to figure out how to do things on computers on my own.
Working as a help desk technician may suit me. Not to sure about Database Network Administration though.
Congrats to you on being so successful in IT $100,000/yr- that's awesome
There are less jobs for Hardware people then there are for software people so keep that in mind. I've made a pretty decent career as a software developer with only an AAS degree (that I earned while working as a developer). It is seriously never too late, don't give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I don't know I haven't been in school for years.
I should of never been born- my mom should of just had an abortion. I'm not cut out for life.
Aw....don't say stuff like that. You sound depressed and if I were you, I would get some help for that. There is medication out there and counseling. I have struggled with depression in the past and had to get some counseling. I also try to work out regularly. It will be difficult for you to work out the career thing until you can get help for the depression. When I was depressed, I couldn't even find a crap job.

After you get help for the depression, look at your skills and interests and see what might be a good fit for you. 48 Days til the Work You Love might be worth reading for you. How do you know you won't be any good at school? You haven't tried. I would avoid going into debt for school, but you could probably do community college. Yes, it will require effort, but if you find something you are interested in, you shouldn't have a problem with it because you will be motivated to study something you are interested in.

Good careers I can think of are: medical coder, information systems analysts, lab technician, engineer, accounting, bookkeeper, robotics technician.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
chef

Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 12,571 times
Autumn07, a virtual hug for you!!! please dont lose hope and keep your faith strong. You are just in early 30's there are lots of possibilities for you. Why dont you consult a career counselor? Probably someone like that will be able to guide you well. Have you ever consider working in non profit field? I know that it is a lot different from corporate culture and you will be surrounded more by people who are mission driven. You can find one near where you live and start volunteering. I bet they always welcome volunteers. So that you will get to know more about the work culuture and if you really do love it, you can focus your career towards non profit world. My 2 cents- Just think about it. Moreover, don't feel depressed. Life is beautiful. You never know what all blessings future holds for you.. Here is simple exercise you can do before you go to bed. Take a paper and write down 2 good things that happened to you that day. If not think about and write down 2 blessings you have in your life and make it a routine. I am sure you will be able to come up with more as days goes and it is really gonna help you!!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else but didn't you start a similar thread a while ago?

You sound as though you may be depressed as it's really unhealthy not to have any particular interests which can inspire you towards any particular field or draw you towards conversing with others who share those interests.

Just because they are shy doesnt mean they are depressed. Why do people think being soft spoken is such a bad thing?
Some people cant help it. I tried joining the military to break out of my shell and ive come to find out that i cant change my personality. Being soft spoken and shy is not bad.. doesnt mean your "depressed"

Shes trying to find a job where she can be herself.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
And since this thread is 3 years old hopefully found one by now.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:51 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
I never was good at school. I hated studying so I never got good grades.

Well, you're going to have to learn to do something to get the beginning salary you say you want. Some sort of schooling or training is probably going to be unavoidable. Without specific skills, any kind of employment with prospects for advancement is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to find.

Sometimes we have to suck it up and do things that are hard in order to get something we really want. No one is going to hand you a job if you don't have skills, so you're going to have to learn to do something, and that will probably involve studying.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Mortician. You deal with dead people all day and they aren't very talkative.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:48 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
I don't know I haven't been in school for years.
I should of never been born- my mom should of just had an abortion. I'm not cut out for life.
Cut it out.

Depression gets you nowhere in life.

NOWHERE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment