Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,196,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I struggle with algebra.
I'd stay away from all business degrees.

How about something creative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

338 posts, read 742,213 times
So, I shouldn't get a degree in business?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,783,160 times
Quote:
Are you saying I should find a different major?
To be blunt, a general Business major (BA or BS) is more "marketable" for a recent college graduate than Marketing in of itself.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM

I guess I shouldn't get a degree in business, since I'm no good at math.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:34 PM

503 posts, read 1,174,131 times
You need to stop surfing the market for what's good and start looking at what skills you have. Then, take those skills and translate them into a marketable course of study. I'd suggest getting your general education requirements done at a community college first. Focus on diversity so you dabble in fields that may or may not interest you and will give you a better idea on a major to declare for undergraduate.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,397,256 times
Quote:
Then I guess I shouldn't get a major in marketing.
Quote:
Should I forget about marketing?...

Are you saying marketing isn't a good major/job?
Quote:
Are you saying I should find a different major?
Quote:
So, I shouldn't get a degree in business?
Quote:
I guess I shouldn't get a degree in business, since I'm no good at math.
You still don't have a single clue yet do you?

Just do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
You need to stop surfing the market for what's good and start looking at what skills you have. Then, take those skills and translate them into a marketable course of study.
Have you met with an academic advisor yet? Sounds like you could use some one-on-one time with someone to discuss your options, goals and interests.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM

I wanted to get into marketing, because I was hoping it wouldn't have too much math.

I guess I'll have to settle for a low paying, menial labor job.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:24 PM

503 posts, read 1,174,131 times
Quote:
I wanted to get into marketing, because I was hoping it wouldn't have too much math.

I guess I'll have to settle for a low paying, menial labor job.
If everybody who was bad at math did not go into field that required math, there would be a hell of a lot more jobs open to people like me.

Don't blanket-statement your options just because you're not confident in 1 skill.
Just because my girlfriend makes amazing meals doesn't mean I'm too unskilled to microwave popcorn.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,853,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
If everybody who was bad at math did not go into field that required math, there would be a hell of a lot more jobs open to people like me.

Don't blanket-statement your options just because you're not confident in 1 skill.
Just because my girlfriend makes amazing meals doesn't mean I'm too unskilled to microwave popcorn.
No one is really good at math and you won't be doing calculus on your job.

I am TERRIBLE at math and I was a buyer for a year. There's a differnce between work-related math (all I needed to do was add, subtract, multiply, divide and find %s 90% of the time in excel) and taking a math test. Most on the job math is easy. Unless you are a mathmatician.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:33 PM

But I didn't take Calc in high school. And apparently, you need Calc to get a business degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment