Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM

30,395 posts, read 23,862,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hey Twis....don't ever be horrified to be human and experience absolute panic and desperation. It is an ugly part of life, none of us is above it and it could happen to any of us, at any time. I have been there, but admittedly not in the exact place you find yourself right now. It is not a good place to be. The worst part is that you feel so alone in this, and are so far removed from an area where there is any help available. I'm not here to bull**** you, or beat on you or anything else - I simply want to let you know that some of us out here truly do care what happens to you, wish that we could change things for you, and are praying for you that somehow, something will change for the better. You ARE NOT alone!!! Miracles still do happen. In that spirit - I found another source for you to examine - directed at Veterans. They don't have anything listed for Maine - but I would be willing to bet that they would at least TRY to help you any way the could - and also remember that MEMORIAL DAY is coming up. What better way to honor a dead veteran than to help a living one? I am attaching the link for you just in case. Be thinking about ya'....
Vets Cars Auto Dealers, Veteran Auto Discount, Vet Benefits
Well, I always wanted to be one of those people that handled everything life threw at them with class and dignity. So much for that.

Thanks for the link. I emailed them. I don't know if this is for all veterans or for veterans of war...seems these days being "just" a veteran doesn't get much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Please seek out family members for help, wherever they are--they will understand.

Wishing all the best for you....
You have no idea how I wish it were that easy.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,525,267 times
maybe you should panhandle for bit J/K but a lot of them get $200-500 a day. Is there a need for house cleaning? People I know of that do it in So Cal get $12-15 per hour depending on how fast they work?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
If the dude is putting 32K miles a year, a taxi would be prohibitively expensive. That is probably true for a ride on craigslist.

OP, can you move closer to your work? Maybe stay with someone and carpool?
The OP couldn't move because of other need work on the car prior to it dying on her (motor blew)and the OP lost her job during the probation period due to not getting to work because of the car.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,428,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

I'm fricken done.

What sucks even more is that I was looking for another job the whole time, finally found one, it requires driving, (albeit no where near the same amount), but since the car just died, the offer I just got...is probably gone.

So, goody for me, I'm unemployed again.

Fricken seriously?!
TWitS, Forgive me, please, I look at the world by the numbers. I have faith that you'll catch a break and will be able to find a car and employment. I will recite something that everybody in my life has recited to me at one point or another: "You can't have everything you want exactly at the time that you want it". Right now, the yob is more important than the scenery. I would urge you to move smack dab into the middle of a yobs center.

Otherwise, this will keep happening. From one crisis to the next. Another thing people have said to me is "Go with the flow". For the forseeable future, that flow is: the need for cash outweighs every other priority.

Do you think there's a bit of stubbornness here? (I'm that way too. Until I take out a spreadsheet).

IMHO, your first priority is to beg. Your second priority is to acquire a working car. Your third priority is to get a yob. Your fourth priority is to MOVE to a yobs center. E-move will do the heavy lifting for $300. Renting a U-Haul truck is much less than that. Cheaper is to get yourself embedded into a church community. That way you'll have real life friends to help you move. Please don't yell at me - those are the realities as I see them.

Cash is your primary need. Do whatever you need to do to get it. Lie about your pets, or get them adopted. Lie about whatever you need to lie about. You are at the point where you can't afford your pretensions. WHERE YOU ARE IS JAIL, and 'tis soon to be the sidewalk. if you change a couple of the variables, life will be very different.

You need money and you're in a place where there's none to be had.

Best wishes to you.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,645,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Three Wolves you said " Without me coming right out and saying, "HELP! I need 4 grand right now!" I don't really know how else to make it clear that I'm in a bind right now and one that is not going to be resolved easily."

Yes this is what you need to do, you need to ask either in person or over the phone.

Facebook is nonense. It doesn't have the human connection. Posting your problems on Facebook isn't much better than posting on City Data. You will get empathy and that is about it.

You need to swallow your pride and ask not wait for an offer, ask if any of these friends can help you. The worse they can say is no.

You still have the job offer and you need a working car to get to it.

Those of us who are familiar with you on here know you're a decent person. I am sure your friends know that as well.

And you're the type who will pay back the money.

But you must ask them, you're assuming they know how bad it is and they may be thinking "well she has been through so much she will pull through" or "she probably has some money saved"......SPEAK UP and be crystal clear about it.

Tell them you need a loan, maybe you need 3 people to come up with the money for a new engine, but ASK. This new job depends on having a working car.

ASK.
Or they may have a loaner car or know someone who does.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 AM

30,395 posts, read 23,862,400 times
Welp, I tried that little "ask the friends" thing.

What did I get?

Kicked.

That's lovely.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,366,344 times
Quote:

What did I get?

Kicked.

That's lovely.
I was afraid something like that would happen and it would make you feel worse!

You say kicked. You mean people told you off just for asking?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,533,728 times
Good way to find out who your friends are. I can count my real friends on one hand, and I have over 230 facebook "friends".

Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,509,356 times
I know the feeling, Three. I worked for an airline for 20 years, that went BK. So I left and got a job working in the title mortgage business for 4 years. Then the real estate market went in the toilet and we lost all of our mortgage clients. I have bounced from one crappy sales job to the next and spent a year on UE. I`m working now but only make 1/3 of what I used to make, but at least it`s a job. I live paycheck to paycheck, so one missed pay and I`m in the same boat as you. Luckily I moved in with a divorced friend who is glad to have me helping her around the house and I also help watch her kids. She says I provide her with a sense of security and reduce her stress level because of my help with her kids (one has cancer).

My point is, at one time I lived the middle class lifestyle. I was married, had a nice house, drove a nice car, took several vacations a year, had a nice 401k,etc. but over the last 6 years, I have gone through a divorce, drained my savings, 401k, and just about everything I own trying to stay afloat. Thank God, I had a great job and benefits when my children were younger.

I`m not in the same shape you are but I was very close and I`m one lost pay away from being there again. Thank goodness I had a friend who was willing to help me with a place to stay. All you can do is break it down in the smallest increments and not focus on the big picture (hard ,I know). Take it one day at a time. Whatever can get you to the next day. As long as you can make it another day, you never know what that day will bring. Sometimes it seems when we are at the very end of our rope ( I mean the last thread of the rope) that`s when help or change is closest. It`s all about keep your mind focused. Take walks or sit in the park. We all need time to clear our minds everyday and de-stress.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,700,979 times
Quote:

What did I get?

Kicked.

That's lovely.
Did you do more than just post on Facebook?

I did a post earlier and IMO you need to actually ask people either over the phone if they're not local or in person.

Facebook isn't really the way to go in a situation like this.

You're a hard worker and the people who really know you know that. As I posted earlier even if it takes 3 people to come up with the cost of replacing the engine I know you will pay them back once you get up and running with the new job.

But just posting on Facebook that your car died isn't going to be enough.

You need to ask in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment