Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 AM

537 posts, read 1,243,110 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to another state next month, and I gave my supervisors adequate notice. Since notifying them, one of them has been extremely cold toward me. He has also been giving me more work than I can possibly manage.

I am determined to leave here on good terms with everyone, so I am doing what I can. But it's stressing me out, and I just really wish this would stop. I've always been overworked in my current job, but this is to the point where I can't even focus on anything. Even worse, I don't want to do any of this work. I know I shouldn't burn bridges, but he needs to understand that it is not fair that I am receiving this type of treatment.

I really don't need any added stress considering I'm making quite a few major life changes. I would like some advice on how to handle this since I have never experienced this before.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I would ask him why he is giving you extra work when he knows you are leaving.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Unfortunately, Some bosses take leaving personally despite it being usually just business. You gave plenty of notice and have remained professional. Ask if some of this work can be delegated to others, which should be the case anyway since you are leaving and even if someone is hired they will have to be trained. Work will have to distributed anyway.

Remain professional, You will be leaving soon anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I would do what Joe mentioned and if it continues call and HR and let them know you are trying to finish out your time there, but you may need to got on paid leave for stress reasons and watch them change their tune.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I'm moving to another state next month, and I gave my supervisors adequate notice. Since notifying them, one of them has been extremely cold toward me. He has also been giving me more work than I can possibly manage.

I am determined to leave here on good terms with everyone, so I am doing what I can. But it's stressing me out, and I just really wish this would stop. I've always been overworked in my current job, but this is to the point where I can't even focus on anything. Even worse, I don't want to do any of this work. I know I shouldn't burn bridges, but he needs to understand that it is not fair that I am receiving this type of treatment.

I really don't need any added stress considering I'm making quite a few major life changes. I would like some advice on how to handle this since I have never experienced this before.

Thank you in advance.

I would probably address it head on - stop into his office and just honestly tell him your perception and that it started since you gave notice. Remain professional, reiterate that you are leaving in a month and that you will do what work that you are assigned to the very best of your ability. Instead of treating you like crap he should be focusing on the fact that you are leaving and trying to find someone else to slide into your chair - even have you train them somewhat while you are there. Who knows why he is acting like he is - jealousy, fear, and who knows what else. He may even think if he can make you feel guilty you won't actually leave. You have enough on your plate right now with an out of state move coming up and you are entitled to live your life to make you happy - whatever that entails. I would also probably honestly advise him that if he doesn't lighten up I would be moving my last day of work there up in order to be done with it and move on. No one can fault you for taking care of yourself first - and if they do - who needs them? Good luck with your move and your new changes. A month from now you'll wonder why this even bothered you!!!

Last edited by CFoulke; 05-09-2013 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Unfortunately, Some bosses take leaving personally despite it being usually just business. You gave plenty of notice and have remained professional. Ask if some of this work can be delegated to others, which should be the case anyway since you are leaving and even if someone is hired they will have to be trained. Work will have to distributed anyway.

Remain professional, You will be leaving soon anyway.

This is it. You've betrayed him, betrayed the company and betrayed your colleagues. Human nature.

Just keep going about your job, remain professional and leave when planned.

As a note form my experience, the supervisors who do this to people are the first ones out the door when they decide to move on to another job.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM

537 posts, read 1,243,110 times
So this is what I plan on doing.

Because my supervisor is giving me so much work, I don't have time to train any of my co-workers or create a resource manual for them. Right now, it's one or the other, and I don't want to miss any mandatory deadlines. If he talks to me about training, I'll let him know that I haven't had time since I've been given so much work.

I don't see the point in stressing over something that I can't change. I can't change his attitude toward me now. I can only adapt to this change for the time being and then leave when the time comes.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
My husband's boss refused to speak to him after he put in notice at his last job. The boss walked around ignoring him like a snotty 12 yr old girl, and this was at a six figure job! It caused problems with the client agency because snotty boss wouldn't even respond to emails or voicemails from hubby about client projects. What a turd!

Some people are just immature and lack perspective. You won't change that in the next two weeks, so just put up with it gracefully and count the days until you're free. Good luck at your next job!

Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
My husband's boss refused to speak to him after he put in notice at his last job. The boss walked around ignoring him like a snotty 12 yr old girl, and this was at a six figure job! It caused problems with the client agency because snotty boss wouldn't even respond to emails or voicemails from hubby about client projects. What a turd!

Some people are just immature and lack perspective. You won't change that in the next two weeks, so just put up with it gracefully and count the days until you're free. Good luck at your next job!
That shows a problem with overall management. Bosses naturally do not like it when capable people quit. But they sometimes do, And part of a managers job is to be prepared for this, and be willing to train another to this standard or promote from within. It is not supposed to turn into children's tantrums or attitude.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,216 times
Since you're leaving anyways just bite your lip, do the work and smile. That'll REALLY **** your supervisor off. By the time you know it you're out of there for a new beginning.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment