Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,776,855 times

Advertisements

So, eventually the scales will tip...in favor of the employee. And when this happens and there are once again plenty of jobs, what do YOU think should happen to the employers?? Me? I think people will start treating employers with the same respect that they showed us, NONE AT ALL. A time will come one day when there will once again be jobs. When this happens, employers will have to reverse their overly hostile nature and start showing the american worker the respect we have earned. And guess what?...we, the employees that have been brought through the mud and kicked around will show them we don't need their crappy job and move on. We will once again have the employer begging for their loyal workers to stay. So remember the way they have treated us. Never forget what hoops these employers have required us to jump through and respond in kind. So...just a thought. And what's yours??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,821 times
I'll still respect the employer for as long as they're paying me well for my services. But I will certainly not tolerate being treated poorly or taken advantage of. I will look elsewhere immediately. Competition is good...when it's a two way street.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,489,665 times
I've been thinking like you for a long time. However, we as humans forget very quickly.

For me personally, I definitely have a lower respect for employers and even more so their HR departments. But I think the problem is that in order to get the promotion, more responsibility, money, whatever, we will still have to kiss butt. I think some of us won't think twice if a better opportunity comes along, but others will get comfortable. Employers will flip the switch and bring back some perks and people will fall for it.

I think the important thing is to always keep your resume updated and persue opportunities all the time. Don't become complacent and don't take crap from your employer. I think the employees have actually caused this behavior in employers. We stay when asked, take on jobs of two people, settle for less money and no raises and watch our perks slip away. Of course the employer will take advantage.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM

994 posts, read 1,595,682 times
To be honest, by the time there actually will be many more jobs instead of applicants I and many people in the labor pool will probably be self-employed, retireed or out of the USA entirely so I think that employers will have a bigger problem instead of worrying about whether the employees will treat them like crap or not. Personally, part of the reason why I'm trying to go self-employed is because of the games and hatred pulled by employers. They're shooting themselves in the foot since an employee who gets burned by an employer is not just a lost employee but very likely a lost customer. The employers that stuck it up my ass in the past are companies I avoid as a customer and we all know that a good experiences makes one tell 10 people but a bad experience will make you tell 20! Believe me, the employers today that are pulling this crap on people are going to go down in the near future. Most people hate bad employers in bad job markets and won't even give them the time of day in good job markets.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,704,810 times
Back in the 90s employers were begging for people, offering great benefits like free meals, staffed and equipped gyms, and had to deal with salary bidding wars. I don't see that ever happening again. At that time outsourcing had barely started,
there was less government regulation, lower taxes, and the baby boomers were in their peak earning/spending years. The unemployment rates may go back down some in the next few years, but there will still be people unable to get jobs except with the worst employers.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,198,825 times
Yes, back in the mid-late 90s during the Internet boom it was an employee's market. There were lots of start-ups and offers flying around right and left ... at least here in Si valley. Then came the crash.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,821 times
I think in 5-10 years we'll start seeing some relief in the labor market. The generations following the Boomers are much smaller. They will fit in better in a job market that requires less human capital.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 PM

29,919 posts, read 25,040,196 times
What's your beef with people who actually create a job for you to do? I rather like job creators. We need more of them these days. Just because the labor market rates for your time don't satisfy your demands doesn't mean you should blame your employer. Don't like the way you are being treated? Hang your own shingle and create your own job if you think it's any easier. I rather enjoy the simplicity of being given work to do, doing it, and moving on to the next task. Securing work to be done is a whole other can of worms.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,772,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
So, eventually the scales will tip...in favor of the employee. And when this happens and there are once again plenty of jobs, what do YOU think should happen to the employers?? Me? I think people will start treating employers with the same respect that they showed us, NONE AT ALL. A time will come one day when there will once again be jobs. When this happens, employers will have to reverse their overly hostile nature and start showing the american worker the respect we have earned. And guess what?...we, the employees that have been brought through the mud and kicked around will show them we don't need their crappy job and move on. We will once again have the employer begging for their loyal workers to stay. So remember the way they have treated us. Never forget what hoops these employers have required us to jump through and respond in kind. So...just a thought. And what's yours??
Sorry, it ain't happening.

Offshoring will continue to where the labor is cheaper and the transition to automated labor will continue to accelerate, making the unemployment crisis more structural.

Get used to the new economy.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,772,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I think in 5-10 years we'll start seeing some relief in the labor market. The generations following the Boomers are much smaller. They will fit in better in a job market that requires less human capital.
A lot of those jobs (such as the admin positions) likely won't be reoccupied. The employers are probably just letting some of the baby boomers hang around in otherwise obsolete positions as they're nearing retirement.

Furthermore, there's still the echo boomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment