Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM

29,850 posts, read 24,953,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Even Amazon doesn't have them ... at least in their MASSIVE Reno NV warehouse. I know someone over there. The warehouse workers literally walk for miles every day to pick the orders. Amazon would get more orders processed out of them if they gave everybody a Segway or a scooter. It takes 15 minutes just to walk off the warehouse floor to the breakroom for your lunch.
It will be years away at today's low labor rates. For 12/hr, why bother? It's not just the cost of the equipment... It's the cost of having expensive technical staff come in and set everything up. Floor layouts would have to be modified drastically. Operations would have to be shut down for extended periods of time. And once all of this is done, there will be weeks and months of trouble shooting and tweaking. This type of stuff is a major headache. And besides, I Amazon is quite profitable with their operation as it is. Less motivation to make drastic changes.

The U.S. auto industry changed out of necessity. Companies like Amazon are not faced with any such life of death circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,498,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It will be years away at today's low labor rates. For 12/hr, why bother? It's not just the cost of the equipment... It's the cost of having expensive technical staff come in and set everything up. Floor layouts would have to be modified drastically. Operations would have to be shut down for extended periods of time. And once all of this is done, there will be weeks and months of trouble shooting and tweaking. This type of stuff is a major headache. And besides, I Amazon is quite profitable with their operation as it is. Less motivation to make drastic changes.

The U.S. auto industry changed out of necessity. Companies like Amazon are not faced with any such life of death circumstances.
Don't worry bob will figure out how to brings in those bots

Old 04-24-2013, 09:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,990,567 times
Amazon to Acquire of Warehouse Robots Maker for $775 Million

Colorado, Had you been well read, you'd know Amazon has taken care of it.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amazon to Acquire of Warehouse Robots Maker for $775 Million

Colorado, Had you been well read, you'd know Amazon has taken care of it.
Renamed Bob the bot cyber stalker LOL

I am well read Bob bots don't affect my employment in sales.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Don't worry bob will figure out how to brings in those bots
No, Bob will hire someone smarter than him (like me ) to figure out how to do the work. Of course, when I am no longer needed, I will be disposed of like last week's leftovers. In the end, one has to ask, who was really smarter in the end??? The desk dolt that makes a living hiring someone else to do his dirty work, or the smart guy who makes a living figuring out ways to marginalize his own value

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM

Andywire, You claim to be well read, but that Amazon purchase was covered by every major publication/wire service. I'm surprised it eluded you.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Andywire, You claim to be well read, but that Amazon purchase was covered by every major publication/wire service. I'm surprised it eluded you.
Yea, in fact, you have posted about Amazons investment in the past. Could be a trial run for bigger things ahead. It could be more. But the idea that Amazon will convert millions of Sqft into automated forklift friendly landscape is a bit too far fetched. It took GM nearly 4 years to do something similar in scale with a handful of plants. Amazon has a lot more to juggle in that regard.

And not so much well read... I have been involved in more than a few automation orientated projects, and know all to well the hurdles involved. It's never what they say in the brochure, and it never runs as smoothly as management believes it should. Mostly because management is too busy snorting coke and chasing young interns to mess around in the trenches with the "working class".

Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Anyway the scales aren't going to tip for a few years but we are starting to ramp up, housing picking up for the next bubble and that will generate more jobs. Maybe I should work on selling bots? Bob Andy? Does Siemens make bots that is a dream co to work for?

Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 PM

Amazon is not about to add selling robots as a 2nd business unit-that is too far removed from their core business. Now they may shift larger percentages of their workforce to casual labor (aka permanent temps), the reduced cost by not having benefits to pay (the agency markup < benes) could well make the ROI for a conversion to robots less palatable.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM

I was kidding Bob although I do want to work for Siemens heck I want to move and work in Germany they treat workers well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment