Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,361 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm a 26 year-old male, and I don't really know what to do career-wise as a next step. I don't know how I stack up competitively in the job market, whether I should be pursuing some certifications or something similar, or whether I should consider going to grad school. What should my next steps be to ensure that I am a competitive job candidate and that I can continue to move upwards? I'm hoping I can just post my credentials and see what people think?

Education
-Graduated in 2009 with a 3.37 from the University of Illinois at Chicago, BSc in Economics
-Graduated with distinction, member of the deans list a few times, and was a member of the honors college
-Studied at the London School of Economics for a year (didn't do so well, which contributed to my lower GPA)
-Worked and interned during school

Work Experience
-After interning there, joined a 2-year development program, then joined as a regular employee at a respectable Chicago financial services company, gaining lots of experience and responsibility. Decided I really disliked the finance industry and I didn't fit in.
-Changed careers into advertising, where I currently work as a project manager for a web advertising company making a good amount of money

Would I be a good candidate for a top-tier grad school? Was my undergrad GPA high enough? I don't even know what I would want to study per se, but I am afraid of getting more student loans (which I already have a lot of). I know I need something that will stimulate my creative side, but I am very comfortable with technical matters as well. I am a little lost, and could use some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM

278 posts, read 468,661 times
If you are making "a good amount of money" don't quit, continue working.

Graduate school is something where you need to know the exact cost and benefit, including the opportunity cost.

If you want to "move up" be aware that there are fewer jobs available on the next level, and it takes longer to get them, and even more connections.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,530,425 times
Agreed with OP don't quit and why the push for Master's. Most I know that have MBA are all managers is that what you want? You seem content?

It's a real crap shoot right now dropping 50-100k on Masters.

I think you look good on paper. Don't bring up bad GPA in London, but be quick to address if mentioned like you did.

Have you ever considered trader for bank can you program. Finance is pretty wide but there are alot of spare Fiance people with Wall St. crash a few yrs back and automation. Maybe actuary?

Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 AM

6 posts, read 23,399 times
Wait a minute ! You did everything you were supposed to do. You went to a good school, majored in a reliable major, had an internship, have a darn good GPA, found a good job, didn't like it, found another good job, making "good money" and probably don't have any kids to worry about? I'm sorry, what seems to be the problem here, hmm ?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:21 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,535,438 times
Have to agree with cynthia. If you need to stimulate yourself creatively outside of what sounds like a very good job and feel that you need compensation for it then look into starting a small business on the side. Perhaps it will take off and you can quit your job.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm just trying to think about what to do next. I start to feel antsy and I always look for the next challenge, and I want to continue to make myself a valuable employee, for future potential employers.

If I wanted to move up in the near future and start to look for that next step, what should I be doing right now? If I can convince my small company to foot the bill on some project management training, is that something that would look good on a resume? What about community college courses in something related?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,784,510 times
Have you thought about doing more IT work since you are really good with webdesign related stuff?

Management sounds like a good avenue as well. To be honest, I would not pursue any more advanced degrees unless you can somehow offset the tuition since you mention having student loans. If you go the management route, many times and employer will pay for some or all of your school tuition. I would lean towards that if management was something I wanted to advance in. MBAs are just a dime a dozen unfortunately in this job market.

You ought to network with your alma mater. Or try the career guidance office assuming your college is not that far away from where you currently live. Since you are somewhat a recent graduate, I would still use those resources for some ideas and guidance.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,692,035 times
While the advice you have gotten is all good, you shouldn't rule out getting an MBA from one of the top 4 business schools either. A degree from one of these schools will cost you over 100k but you are looking to get a job that pays at least 150k right out of school. Your career trajectory will also take a much steeper climb after acquiring such a degree. Also, this opens the door for you for executive jobs in the future that pay 300-400k.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:18 PM

5,205 posts, read 4,692,035 times
Here is something I read recently that applies in your case:

Stop Fast-Tracking Your Career - Daniel Gulati - Harvard Business Review

Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Have you thought about doing more IT work since you are really good with webdesign related stuff?

Management sounds like a good avenue as well. To be honest, I would not pursue any more advanced degrees unless you can somehow offset the tuition since you mention having student loans. If you go the management route, many times and employer will pay for some or all of your school tuition. I would lean towards that if management was something I wanted to advance in. MBAs are just a dime a dozen unfortunately in this job market.

You ought to network with your alma mater. Or try the career guidance office assuming your college is not that far away from where you currently live. Since you are somewhat a recent graduate, I would still use those resources for some ideas and guidance.
I think I should definitely pursue some more technical subjects. I am considering taking a few community college courses, in networking or programming, or something like that. I imagine this will make me a little more well-rounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment