Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 AM

3,322 posts, read 8,015,398 times

Advertisements

So I'm 28, college graduate, worked in the auto insurance industry since college. I spent 3 years working claims which I HATED. Transferred positions within the same company and landed a cool job for 18 months; working as a field inspector the underwriting department. That didn't end well and more importantly, after a few years it would become a dead-end job. I didn't have any authority as the underwriters would make the final call. I was ready to leave that company anyways.

That was two years ago. I spent months and months in 2012 looking to get into underwriting but its very hard without any experience. So I gave up and got back into claims in late 2012 with a different company. I signed up for a one year contract and I counted the days as I never thought I'd have to deal with claims again. I finished the contract on good terms.

Since late 2013, I sold my house, used some of the money to get my parents a house and traveled the world for 3 months. I decided to obtain the state sales agent license as I figure that would be somewhat helpful for underwriting. Maybe even try insurance sales even though I feel like my education and experience wouldn't count for much if I do. So I officially got the license yesterday after the states background check.

So as of now, I'm put in a very unique situation. I have plenty of own money, very little bills (staying with my parents til i get a job), and I'm pretty good with the stock market so I'm making about 1k a month with that. I don't NEED a job for income but I WANT one to keep myself busy and establish myself for the future. Problem is, I don't know what.

Should I leave the insurance industry even though I have 6+ years experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
Nobody can answer that for you. It's your life. There are no "shoulds."

You have some financial freedom to explore some things. What other areas interest you?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:28 PM

12,110 posts, read 17,223,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Nobody can answer that for you. It's your life. There are no "shoulds."

You have some financial freedom to explore some things. What other areas interest you?
I agree with this.

You are in a favorable situation. To help you, I would consider three factors...

1) What do you like, what are your interests?

2) What are you good at? What types of jobs would your personality/work ethic/physiology be amenable to?

3) What kind of a lifestyle would you prefer? We all want more $, but since you have worked before, you know how much pays for what. So what level of comfort would be acceptable to you?

I'm guessing you'll need another degree if you want to change careers.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 PM

5,123 posts, read 6,188,858 times
You expressed some interest in Underwriting. What do you need to do to get that experience ( I think it involves school and some heavy math but I'm not sure) If soi do you want to spend time going up that path?

If not as others have suggested find something you do want to do . It seems you are lucky enough to be able to invest time into building a new path, go for it.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,422,545 times
You can't really work halfway at being an insurance agent. Building up your book of business requires daily hustle and customer contact. It doesn't really sound like something you have to mindset to do right now.

But it would be a shame to toss all that experience, especially in an industry that is not going away.

What do you think is the big hurdle keeping you from a job in underwriting?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 PM

89 posts, read 114,166 times
Leave the insurance industry and do what? Even if you knew what you wanted to do, it doesn't sound like you have the work experience to get a job in anything else.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You can't really work halfway at being an insurance agent. Building up your book of business requires daily hustle and customer contact. It doesn't really sound like something you have to mindset to do right now.

But it would be a shame to toss all that experience, especially in an industry that is not going away.

What do you think is the big hurdle keeping you from a job in underwriting?
Experience.

And not being able to get the designations / licenses to fill in that gap. They are all online classes. Read the book and take the test in person. I'm an audio learner and I miserably failed the test...it was one of the easier ones too.

I went thru college easy, finished in 3.5 years being an audio learner. That test is by far the hardest test I ever took. I just can't read a book and pass the test. They don't offer classroom learning.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,583,306 times
What's an underwriter?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM

659 posts, read 945,869 times
Why did you sell your house to help your parents get a house? Why not give your house to your parents? Unless your parents wanted a bigger house..

Old 02-15-2014, 12:58 PM

They couldn't afford the monthly payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment