Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:28 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,791,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I see the sexist bigots are still parading themselves around blaming others for their dead end job consequences.
People of the jury, I give you exhibit A^^^

People will always be entitled to their own opinion as you are to yours. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,238,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
People of the jury, I give you exhibit A^^^

People will always be entitled to their own opinion as you are to yours. YMMV.
Yes, and I have expressed my opinion. But you are the only exhibit in your life and entirely responsible for it.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM

832 posts, read 1,421,332 times
I can only admit that of all the supervisors I've had, there's only been one female whom I respected. Although, now I have a female supervisor of a male supervisor and I'd much prefer to be under the female 2nd line supervisor than my current male 1st line.

And yes I am a female. But I generally respond much better to male supervision than female supervision.

I'll give an example why.

Female: Oh my gosh. There is just so much work to do and I don't know how I'll ever meet my deadline. Employee, will you help me meet my goal? I'll pay you over time! Thanks so much. I don't know what I'd do without some help.

Male: Employee, there's 5 hours of overtime available. Do you want it before I offer it to someone else? Great. Here's what you're going to do.

With the female boss, I'm more likely to be grumbling about saving her ass because she bit off more than she could chew.

But with the male boss, I'm thinking... YES! Overtime! Mama needs a new purse!

Old 03-25-2013, 04:30 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,789,285 times
My first female boss in the corporate world was terrific but she was an older lady (past 50). She was absolutely wonderful, caring, smart, knowledgeable in the field, but she really cared about her employees and their families.

My second boss was a gay guy. He was great as well. He mentored me and helped advance my career. He was serious yet fun. Overall, I think highly of him as do several of my former colleagues.

My third boss was a real quirky guy. Dry sense of humor, micro-manager, drove me nuts..had no respect for my work schedules but we got along. All in all, he was a stand up guy and we still remain in contact. Good guy, terrible boss.

My fourth boss was a nasty nasty woman who got the job through nepotism. She was horrible on so many levels. Petty, socially driven, had nothing but contempt for anyone under her, couldn't do her job because she was truly incompetent. She is no longer a manager (thank goodness)

My fifth boss was also a female. She had severe ADHD and was such a trainwreck words can not even describe the amount of stress she caused me and others who had to work with her. For instance, she couldn't even remember where she put her car keys or cell phone, just imagine what doing actual work was like with her! I couldn't stand it. Honestly she was the WORST boss I have EVER had. She probably took years off of my life in the year I worked for her. With that said, I hauled out of that situation real fast. Worst employment experience ever. Such a moron. Should never have been a manager. Don't know how or why management thought she was wonderful.

My sixth boss was female as well. Very nice young lady. She was smart and cared genuinely about her employees. I did not work for her for too long though as I was laid off.

My seventh boss and current boss is female as well. She is an older lady and she is smart, compassionate, cares about her employees, doesn't micro manage. I love her, she is great.

So from my experiences, bad managers could be male or female. I have had a large sampling of female managers, and two of which were terrible, but the other three were (are) great. So I guess you can not judge by gender alone.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,213,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
My first female boss in the corporate world was terrific but she was an older lady (past 50). She was absolutely wonderful, caring, smart, knowledgeable in the field, but she really cared about her employees and their families.

My second boss was a gay guy. He was great as well. He mentored me and helped advance my career. He was serious yet fun. Overall, I think highly of him as do several of my former colleagues.

My third boss was a real quirky guy. Dry sense of humor, micro-manager, drove me nuts..had no respect for my work schedules but we got along. All in all, he was a stand up guy and we still remain in contact. Good guy, terrible boss.

My fourth boss was a nasty nasty woman who got the job through nepotism. She was horrible on so many levels. Petty, socially driven, had nothing but contempt for anyone under her, couldn't do her job because she was truly incompetent. She is no longer a manager (thank goodness)

My fifth boss was also a female. She had severe ADHD and was such a trainwreck words can not even describe the amount of stress she caused me and others who had to work with her. For instance, she couldn't even remember where she put her car keys or cell phone, just imagine what doing actual work was like with her! I couldn't stand it. Honestly she was the WORST boss I have EVER had. She probably took years off of my life in the year I worked for her. With that said, I hauled out of that situation real fast. Worst employment experience ever. Such a moron. Should never have been a manager. Don't know how or why management thought she was wonderful.

My sixth boss was female as well. Very nice young lady. She was smart and cared genuinely about her employees. I did not work for her for too long though as I was laid off.

My seventh boss and current boss is female as well. She is an older lady and she is smart, compassionate, cares about her employees, doesn't micro manage. I love her, she is great.

So from my experiences, bad managers could be male or female. I have had a large sampling of female managers, and two of which were terrible, but the other three were (are) great. So I guess you can not judge by gender alone.
Thank you for sharing you experiences. Far too many people assume one bad female boss means every female boss will be exactly the same, which is just as ridiculous as thinking one bad male boss means all male bosses are exactly the same. Individual people vary GREATLY, this is true of men and women. I also have great and bad bosses of both genders, but I would never be ignorant enough to assume that everyone of that gender acts the same.

Most of this thread is just a bunch of ignorant stereotypes applied to a work situation, and then used to imply every single female acts like that. With a few notable exceptions, it's mostly a bunch of utter stupidity, and probably a lot of trolling. Not one thing written about female bosses isn't true of large numbers of male bosses, some workers are just not bright enough, or experienced enough to realize this.

I mostly feel pity for the young women who are posting this nonsense, they apparently feel they are not management material since they are women. I hope they grow up someday.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,238,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Thank you for sharing you experiences. Far too many people assume one bad female boss means every female boss will be exactly the same, which is just as ridiculous as thinking one bad male boss means all male bosses are exactly the same. Individual people vary GREATLY, this is true of men and women. I also have great and bad bosses of both genders, but I would never be ignorant enough to assume that everyone of that gender acts the same.
Yea, and it's the height of ignorance. It's bigotry. The problem is not with a gender, or race, or culture, etc, but the bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment