Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,666,358 times

Advertisements

If you were asked to imagine a prominent, wealthy doctor, who would come to mind? Chances are no matter whom you envision, they would have one thing in common: a Y chromosome, the defining genetic material of a man.

A new study found male physicians make $12,000 more per year than female doctors when adjusting for differences in specialties, work hours and academic rank. If you do the math, this amounts to more than $350,000 in the course of a career.

Male Doctors Make $12,000 More Annually Than Female Ones - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM

545 posts, read 1,557,184 times
I don't know why people are so upset when women earn less than men when it's quite acceptable that, in general, some people earn more than others doing the same job. There's no reason why gender discrimination is more heinous than any other kind of discrimination yet no one ever talks about two men who earn different wages doing the same job.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,136,904 times
There was an article I read in the Independent UK in which they mentioned how women are beginning to dominate medicine. In the article a female doctor feared that if women dominate medicine that it will turn medicine into a pink collar ghetto and she cited Russia as an example. In Russia, women make up the vast majority of doctors and the status and income of a doctor in Russia are not very high. Supposedly, this is because women unlike men do not negotiate/lobby the government hard enough nor do they have the will to stand up for their profession. This isn't my opinion of course but an opinion that I read in an article.

Here is the article from BBC (couldn't find the Independent article):
BBC NEWS | Health | Women docs 'weakening' medicine

Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 AM

461 posts, read 912,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkiel View Post
I don't know why people are so upset when women earn less than men when it's quite acceptable that, in general, some people earn more than others doing the same job. There's no reason why gender discrimination is more heinous than any other kind of discrimination yet no one ever talks about two men who earn different wages doing the same job.
Its common knowledge that in the professional world, men make always make more than women, regardless of education and experience.

You don't hear about two men doing the same job for different pay rates because it can easily be argued that one man has better qualifications. In the link below, a commenter posted:

" How do they expect me to take care of my family on a crappy $42,000 a year!” I was bowled over and without thinking revealed I only made $22,000. I told him I planned on bringing this information to my boss. When I confronted him he fired the man telling him he was not to discuss his salary contract with anyone. "

Wage differences between men and women - sexist or functional? - Forbes

The men are still seen as "primary breadwinners" and perhaps this is why they get paid more. It is assumed that they have to take care of a family--which is not always the case anymore.

White women apparently get paid more than her ethnic sisters, which says to me that (of course) the US is still very racist, even if it tries to say other wise. If ethnic women get paid less then white women, then it is safe to assume that white men get paid more than ethnic men.

"That's because U.S. women still earned only 77 cents on the male dollar in 2008, according to the latest census statistics. (That number drops to 68% for African-American women and 58% for Latinas.)"

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

I won't say that I even understand or know the reasoning behind it. Should there be a law enforcing same base pay, and then the pay to be increased based upon experience and education alone? Of course, but how do you put a value on experience and education in terms of pay wages? Someone may have more experience than education and visa versa, how does that get figured out fairly?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 AM

461 posts, read 912,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
There was an article I read in the Independent UK in which they mentioned how women are beginning to dominate medicine. In the article a female doctor feared that if women dominate medicine that it will turn medicine into a pink collar ghetto and she cited Russia as an example. In Russia, women make up the vast majority of doctors and the status and income of a doctor in Russia are not very high. Supposedly, this is because women unlike men do not negotiate/lobby the government hard enough nor do they have the will to stand up for their profession. This isn't my opinion of course but an opinion that I read in an article.

Here is the article from BBC (couldn't find the Independent article):
BBC NEWS | Health | Women docs 'weakening' medicine
Why should she have to fight for the same wages that a man would receive? If the woman put in the same time and effort into her education and work as a man, she should be compensated the same.

I know, you said this isn't your opinion.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 AM

130 posts, read 253,760 times
I believe that more than 50% does have to deal with prejudice but it also has to deal with attitude. I don't have that much experience in the workforce, but of what I have and my impressions, is that guys in particular are more likely to "try and push the boundary". They are more willing to ask for a raise, more likely to seek a perk, and more likely to push themselves to stand out for a promotion. I am not saying, that woman don't do this, but in my experience Men do this all the time.

What I do see several times, is that Woman do work "harder", but only because they are afraid of losing their job because they took too many days off for their kids, or they need to work harder such as getting more projects done and such so that they can take days off for an event for their kids.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:00 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,595,162 times
I always wondered about this kind of wage discrepancy. Are women just less likely to negotiate for a higher salary, or are there really dinosaurs out there who specifically offer less money to women?

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,854,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
"That's because U.S. women still earned only 77 cents on the male dollar in 2008, according to the latest census statistics. (That number drops to 68% for African-American women and 58% for Latinas.)"

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

I won't say that I even understand or know the reasoning behind it. Should there be a law enforcing same base pay, and then the pay to be increased based upon experience and education alone? Of course, but how do you put a value on experience and education in terms of pay wages? Someone may have more experience than education and visa versa, how does that get figured out fairly?
First off, a lot has changed since 2008 so pay numbers from that long ago aren't necessarily applicable in today's workplace. Secondly, I've never seen any of these studies that truly account for all variables. Gross simplifications and blanket assumptions about broad demographics can make the numbers say whatever you want them to say. Honestly I don't think any of it gets figured out "fairly". A "study" done by a men's group might find that pay is actually equal and a "study" by a women's group might say that the discrepency is 80%. It's very easy to manipulate the statistics to fabricate the exact conclusion you're looking for.

I'll say that it's entirely possible, even likely, that the discrepancy is disturbingly large, but there are too many "studies" out there that do funny math and make poor assumptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I always wondered about this kind of wage discrepancy. Are women just less likely to negotiate for a higher salary, or are there really dinosaurs out there who specifically offer less money to women?
Exactly what I'm saying, there are always too many variables that are unaccounted for and many groups love to jump to conclusions to support their agenda. It's par for the course with mass media. I say go find the actual study and pick it apart yourself using a critical eye. Only then will we know whether or not the conclusions are logical.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

87 posts, read 192,897 times
I remember taking a class in college and we were talking about something similar to this. Now remember the teacher was a women in her 40's..

There were some girls asking why men always are CEO's, president, prime ministers etc. Except for a select few people.
She told us that it's because woman have a disadvantage in the emotional department. A man would be able to fire a 50 people to save a business when a woman could do the same but would have emotional issues doing it. She also said that not many woman are world leaders because they think too much to make haste decisions. A man would be able to make a quick decision on something while a woman would think about, job loss, life loss, money loss etc.

According to her, men are better leaders because we are not as emotional as women. Women care about people, men don't (in general)

Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,647,112 times
FTFA:

A new study found male physicians make $12,000 more per year than female doctors when adjusting for differences in specialties, work hours and academic rank. If you do the math, this amounts to more than $350,000 in the course of a career.

Adjusting for what differences, exactly? So what about comparing apples to apples? Compare the salaries of a male doctor to a female doctor with identical qualifications. Surely they could be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment