Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,323,162 times

Advertisements

Part of the problem is that since the recession a lot of companies have mainly been hiring from within since they're not expanding. If they are growing, they've usually achieved greater productivity that is keeping headcount level. On top of that, public sector jobs have been shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 09:44 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,129,721 times
Don't even get me started.....

In Michigan, employers expect you to wheel your $5k worth of tools in for a whopping $12 per hour job.

Starting to see that here in AZ too.

Why?

Because they can.

With so many unemployed skilled machinists looking for work, they can pay Burger King wages.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:54 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,415,328 times
Peter Cappelli exposes the "skills gap".

The Skills Gap Myth: Why Companies Can't Find Good People | TIME.com

If There's a Skills Gap, Blame It on the Employer - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM

10,838 posts, read 14,970,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hk94 View Post
I have been trying to hire a very specific skill set for 6 months ago, and while I don't know if there is a true skill shortage, I do know that I have yet to receive a single resume that even resembles what the job looks for....
I will soon be 65 and I am reaching the end of my working life. for three years I have been looking for my replacement. Very difficult to find.

Must be a high school graduate.

Standard entry wage is $33k but salary goes up with experience as shown in this 2010 salary survey.

The interesting thing about that salary survey less than 20% have a college degree.Must have clean driving record. One speeding ticket is fine but drunks & felons need not apply. If you do drugs you are to stupid to work for me so if you do don't bother as I have zero tolerance for that sort of garbage.

Must have a reasonably good understanding of the International Building Code and a reasonably good working knowledge of NFPA 13 Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems along with NFPA 13R Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Low-Rise Residential Occupancies, NFPA 14 Standard for the Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems, NFPA 20 Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection, NFPA 24 Standard for the Installation of Private Fire Service Mains and Their Appurtenances and NFPA 25 Standard for the Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems. There are others of course but that's a good start.

Must have basic working knowledge of industry standard software and the problem here it is very specific and you can bet it would take one year to get the basics. Now that can be a skills gap and not one you can fill in six months to a year.

Three years ago I met a recent high school graduate who was looking for a career right here in this very forum. We started private messaging which went on to email. After a bid I could tell he was truly interested so I sent an extra copy of the 2002 handbook and a variety of sprinkler heads I got out of the shop he could look at.

I told him not to take my word for it but do serious research on his own. He found the career fit him well, had everything he was looking for in a life work so he applied and went to one of the three schools I know about that offer two year degrees. All this from a chance meeting on this forum.

We kept in touch but little did he know his job interview has been going on for nearly three years now.

In January I offered him a job, he accepted and will start shortly after graduation in May. He's 22 years old.

In presenting the job proposal to him he asked for X dollars and we added $4 to it because, as I told him, "we expect you to earn it." He mentioned his car wasn't capable of traveling so to sweeten the pot we're giving him unlimited use of a company vehicle (Chevy S-10 truck) so he doesn't have to worry about car payments, gasoline, insurance or maintenance. All we ask is if he is going to drive it more than 100 miles a week he put some of his moldy money in the tank but for the most part he's got free use of a newer vehicle. Yeah, maybe it's not the red sports car but it is free!

He's several states away so we are going to make it easy for him by helping with the move. When he gets here he'll need an apartment and being a fresh graduate won't have money for first/last months rent so we'll just pay it for him along with the deposits for utilities and stuff. Make the move real easy so he can concentrate on his job which is what I want him to do. The more he does, the better job he does, the less I have to do approaching my decrepit old age

I've talked to him on the phone but never met him. We're gong to fly him in for a few days next month for a meet, greet and show him around.

In three years he will be able to take my place. This will be fun to watch.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,666,009 times
nicet4, I don't even believe in God, but God bless you.

Now that young man clearly did what he needed to do once you offered him the opportunity (and frankly, I've seen plenty of people drop a ball that was passed to them, then bellyache about how hard they have it.) But this is exactly what young people need! A targeted plan to develop skills for a career that actually exists.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,858,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Indeed. I agree that the problem is likely that companies are just not willing to pay the right price for what they are demanding of their workforce. But of course, if the corporate hacks have their way, they will hammer us into believing that we are all only worth $12/hr.
Careful what you say. This forum is full of people who don't understand why an employee wants to make a living wage.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,512 times
I read the first article, it was a good read. I think there's plenty of truth to it.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
The shortage my employer friends encounter are mostly of the candidates making...

Can't hire unless clean driving record and no criminal history... that weeds out most that apply.

Even years ago when I worked in a took and die shop... people were terminated because of driving issues making them not insurable on the company policy.

The master machinists/tool makers were truly amazing with years of experience and discipline... always willing to share... they began to question the applicants coming through the door... half is just showing up ready to work each day and having a fight with your girlfriend or transportation issues are personal problem...

Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,449,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The shortage my employer friends encounter are mostly of the candidates making...

Can't hire unless clean driving record and no criminal history... that weeds out most that apply.

Even years ago when I worked in a took and die shop... people were terminated because of driving issues making them not insurable on the company policy.

The master machinists/tool makers were truly amazing with years of experience and discipline... always willing to share... they began to question the applicants coming through the door... half is just showing up ready to work each day and having a fight with your girlfriend or transportation issues are personal problem...
Interesting point. To me, this raises the question, which fields/industries are the skills shortages prevalent? Is it more in the blue collar fields that you're describing above? Or is it more in the white collar fields? Both?

When I read this post, I was thinking to myself "really?". I would expect a shortage in skills like technical math (calculus, stats, trig, etc.) or something similar, but what you mentioned seems pretty elementary. Maybe I'm just assuming incorrectly, but what you've mentioned seems like a blue collar industry problem.

Last edited by Tekkie; 03-02-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 PM

29,910 posts, read 25,033,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Interesting point. To me, this raises the question, which fields/industries are the skills shortages prevalent? Is it more in the blue collar fields that you're describing above? Or is it more in the white collar fields? Both?

When I read this post, I was thinking to myself "really?". I would expect a shortage in skills like technical math (calculus, stats, trig, etc.) or something similar, but what you mentioned seems pretty elementary. Maybe I'm just assuming incorrectly, but what you've mentioned seems like a blue collar industry problem.
IMO, it's both. Anywhere where the talent and driving force behind the development and production of goods and services can be exploited really. What I love... When a company is doing poorly, it's always the ground level worker's fault, particularly their grossly inflated wages and benefits. When a company is doing great, it's all because of superb management and direction Doesn't quite happen that way, but all the money basically goes into finding the best management these days. Be that as it may, folks are behaving exactly as you would expect and migrating towards the higher paying and more secure roles. Also as you would expect, employers are whining about their inability to find grunts to exploit.

Why would you go through one of the most challenging college curriculums to become an engineer when you could earn the same or more coasting through one of the various business disciplines? After all, in America, the B students end up being the bosses of the A students, and making a good dollar more in the end. You don't have to be smart to have a great career, you just have to be in with the right crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Don't even get me started.....

In Michigan, employers expect you to wheel your $5k worth of tools in for a whopping $12 per hour job.

Starting to see that here in AZ too.

Why?

Because they can.

With so many unemployed skilled machinists looking for work, they can pay Burger King wages.
Exactly why I left Michigan. Last job there, 50% of the cars in the parking lot looked like they were about to fall apart. Can't blame the boss though, their all trying to bid competitively in an economic wasteland. AZ ain't much better from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment