Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,595,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Say everyone is on an even playing field, except those without kids schedule their appointments and time off weeks in advance with managerial approval. While those with kids are allowed to unexpectedly and sporadically take leave because of child obligations?
Then I think that we, as a society, see that as their reward for taking on the burden of procreating.

I would argue that many people are paid not for the time that they put in, but for the results that they produce. In an enlightened work place, everyone would be given the opportunity to split early, work from home, take a day off when needed. But you know, and I know, that there are too many slackers who would exploit the situation and ruin for everyone.

The other thing to think about, is that not every thing in life works out. The earlier that you learn that "life isn't fair", the better off you will be. Sometimes the wicked aren't punished -- they thrive. Sometimes the "good" aren't rewarded -- they suffer. Some people live long, difficult lives, and die unfulfilled. It's sad, but true. And I think it's our job to be kind, to err on the side of giving someone (a parent) a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
...Usually those workers are jealous of the ones without kids, as the parents burn through so much PTO in dealing with sick kids and/or family obligations that they don't have enough available for "fun".
Exactly.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,318,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
The other thing to think about, is that not every thing in life works out. The earlier that you learn that "life isn't fair", the better off you will be. Sometimes the wicked aren't punished -- they thrive. Sometimes the "good" aren't rewarded -- they suffer. Some people live long, difficult lives, and die unfulfilled. It's sad, but true. And I think it's our job to be kind, to err on the side of giving someone (a parent) a break.
Going to say I completely disagree with this. If I can work 50 hours a week and win deals while going to grad school full time, a parent can put in the same amount of time and effort and still be a good parent. Just my opinion. I am cut no slack or given breaks. I also dont expect to get them or ask for them. Its my choice to work and go to school, not my employers. Just like its not my employers choice for and employee to choose to have a child. If I can work just as efficiently taking classes as I do when I'm not in school, the same should be expected of someone before and after child.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM

194 posts, read 637,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Then I think that we, as a society, see that as their reward for taking on the burden of procreating.
I don't think this is accurate at all. I am single and childless, but I would literally love nothing more in this life than to have a wife and kids.

I would give anything for those little moments, even the tough ones where a kid is whining or crying or misbehaving.

I look at it just the opposite of how you do. Not only am I not fortunate enough at the moment to have found the perfect person to marry and have kids with. But I also pay the price for it in the workplace by never having any excuses to take some time off of work to be with the ones I love.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:10 AM

2,646 posts, read 7,457,400 times
I'm the only person in my office who is single, no kids or grand kids. I seem to be held to higher standards than everyone else here.I'm always the first one asked to cover phones when something comes up. I'm always being pestered to help with computer things. It's kind of annoying since I'm at the office more than everyone and it distracts me from trying to do my thing

Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I'm the only person in my office who is single, no kids or grand kids. I seem to be held to higher standards than everyone else here.I'm always the first one asked to cover phones when something comes up. I'm always being pestered to help with computer things. It's kind of annoying since I'm at the office more than everyone and it distracts me from trying to do my thing
It sounds like you are the most responsible, dependable person at your office. You may not be rewarded like you want to be at this job, but you can spin it to your advantage when you are searching for your next job.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM

136 posts, read 239,926 times
Tihs has nothing to do with marriage, kids, etc. it's about your priorities. If you get PTO then use it. You should make your personal time a priority. You earned it. Take time off and do whatever ; even if its a few hours or a day or two. Get a hobby; take a day trip; see a movie. Don't de overly available unless you can use it to your advantage. If it hasnt resulted in merit increase, bonus, or promotion then your giving too much of yourself. You dont have to decrease your work standards but you do need to reevaluate your work/ life balance. When they want to let you go your dedication will not matter. It will be in their best financial interest to do so.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
I don't think this is accurate at all. I am single and childless, but I would literally love nothing more in this life than to have a wife and kids.
I know. There were decades when I wanted the same thing -- a husband I couldn't live without, and kids that looked like him. But it didn't happen. I've got to look at what I DO have, than what I don't.

Quote:
But I also pay the price for it in the workplace by never having any excuses to take some time off of work to be with the ones I love.
It's because we (as a society) value family above all else. More than taking time off to go to a ballgame with friends, getting out early to enjoy a walk in the woods while it's still light out, or just hanging out with your friends.

I think the OP and most people would be perfectly happy with his job/life, if it weren't for other people getting just a little bit more. Why are we so focused on what others have instead of appreciating the extremely lucky lives that we live??

Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,721,840 times
Quote:
Do you think single, childless people have it tougher in the workplace than those who have a family to look after.
Many people seem to think that certain types of people "have it tougher" or are "discriminated against" in the workplace. Usually they think that people like themselves are discriminated against. It helps when people can have someone or something to blame for whatever issue they may be having in the workplace (or in any other aspect of life for that matter).

Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM

194 posts, read 637,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Many people seem to think that certain types of people "have it tougher" or are "discriminated against" in the workplace. Usually they think that people like themselves are discriminated against. It helps when people can have someone or something to blame for whatever issue they may be having in the workplace (or in any other aspect of life for that matter).

Mmmmk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment