Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM

286 posts, read 851,290 times
When that parent leaves early, they have to make it up or take a paid time off. A couple times a week, I spend my lunch hour to pick my kid from school and drop him home and come back to work. I don't get to eat my lunch or even relax.

If I have to leave for my sick kid, I have to clock out and make up the time later. There is no special parent time off, parents have to sacrifice their paid time off for their kids. A single person uses their paid time off for themselves. You can leave work in early afternoon to see a friend and use your paid time off if you want.

An employer prefers single people as they don't have to worry about them having a family emergency. Single people can work later and be more productive. I can't work later since I have to pick up my daughter.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 PM

265 posts, read 409,602 times
Maybe if they work in a family oriented town or something.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 AM

90 posts, read 385,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharroun View Post
How is it a double standard...

You going to hang out with your friends has no benefit to society.
The father taking actions to be there for his child helps guide an raise him to be a future productive member of society.

I don't have children but rather not turn the US into a place only the well-off and the dumb/poor (who get welfare) breed.
Yes it is a double standard. However you wish to rationalize it does not change the fact.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:52 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I would think no. No early headout or can't come in today because of sick kids, pta, plays, etc...

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
When that parent leaves early, they have to make it up or take a paid time off. A couple times a week, I spend my lunch hour to pick my kid from school and drop him home and come back to work. I don't get to eat my lunch or even relax.

If I have to leave for my sick kid, I have to clock out and make up the time later. There is no special parent time off, parents have to sacrifice their paid time off for their kids. A single person uses their paid time off for themselves. You can leave work in early afternoon to see a friend and use your paid time off if you want.

An employer prefers single people as they don't have to worry about them having a family emergency. Single people can work later and be more productive. I can't work later since I have to pick up my daughter.
An employer prefers the person who can best perform the job. If that person has children, a mutually beneficial arrangement can usually be worked out. If other employees, ones without children, see that as unfair, well tough. The arrangement is between the employer and the individual employee.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:10 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post

See people need to think of these things before they decide to have kids.

A friend of mine (now ex friend) was stuck working every Sat because she didn't have kids and the others did and had "lives." I told my friend to buck up and tell them that her and her husband have lives too and to pound sand. It was eventually rotated to one Sat a month.

Just because I don't have kids, doesn't mean that my time off isn't as valuable as yours..Get over it.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I got a position where I work and I was single. I passed the drug test and had a good attendance record. Tardiness and calling in are what get people in trouble, since that's the number one thing employers look at.... I keep my butt clean by maintaining 'perfect attendance' .. since I don't like a lot of overtime I can not work so much of it and not get hassled.. the person who works tons of overtime but comes in late a lot, or signs up and doesn't work it, is far worse off. In all the time I've worked here it seems like I'm the one most concerned about not working enough overtime... all they care about is I do a good job when I'm here and have excellent attendance showing up when I'm scheduled.

A lot of single mothers tend to call in quite a bit... they can't discriminate though. They will not hire people with DUIs though, that they do seem to discriminate against.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM

70 posts, read 88,946 times
Some are. I've had people tell me stories where their bosses told them to their faces that they have no family or that they have nothing to go home to. I really think that should be illegal, but unfortunately, it isn't.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye Star View Post
Some are. I've had people tell me stories where their bosses told them to their faces that they have no family or that they have nothing to go home to. I really think that should be illegal, but unfortunately, it isn't.
yes.
people without kids still may have girlfriends/boyfriends/friends/parents. What makes children more important than that?

having kids is a choice. if it gets in the way of your career, you probably shouldn't have kids, or should change your job. No one else is supposed to make your life easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment