Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:51 PM

3,655 posts, read 3,318,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
Every company iv'e worked through touts their wonderful telecommute policy! However, in practice, it's not always that great b/c it's still a "be seen" culture and those that arent seen are often forgotten.

I hope companies adopt very liberal policies soon - it would save so much in costs. given the modern technology and prevalence of residential broadband, there is no reason companies should incur the expense of onsite employees.
I think we are going to see more and more of this. The cost to the company to not provide office space is a huge savings. I work in software, and it is really silly to have a software engineer travel to come into the office to spend time writing programming code which can be done anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'll be telecommuting tomorrow if we get the 4" of snow predicted. It's rare here and all down hill to the freeway. My people are allowed to telecommute on an as-needed basis but have to tell me in the morning what they will be working on, and have taken home their laptop or tablet.
I'm in the New York City metro area, and if the weather gets bad employers usually tell employees to work from home that day. So most have a laptop they use in a docking station in the office and bring home the laptop if they except bad weather to work from home. I know people who regularly bring home their corporate laptops to connect to work just in case. Because of corporate security you can't use the network remotely without the corporate laptop.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
At home, I have a high energy five year old who gets in between 3:30 pm and 5:00 pm depending on weather, a four month old, a wife who works from home four to five days a week and a nanny. Let's just say that I am very happy to get to peace and quite(relative) of the office every day. And I am happy to get back to my family in the evening. I do love my family as long as I don't have to see or hear them all day long

My commute is long, 70-85 minutes, but it is all walking or trains. Most of the time I get a sit and can relax and take a nap.

The actual work form home policy at our company is up to an individual manager. My manager prefers everyone to be in the office if possible. He is however OK if employees need to work from home to take care of something, if there is an emergency, snow, train delays, family situation, etc. I end up working from home about twice a month and I have to ask for it every time(short e-mail) and book it in Leave Tracker system. So far, he has never said no. I also worked one day from home for a few months after our baby was born and my parental leave was over. But I definitely prefer the office...
Some people have a guest house or a room over the garage, in other words, something detached from the rest of their home so they can work there in quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment