Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,406,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
my company does allow telecommuting but only on an adhoc basis (doctor's apt, family emergency, etc etc) and you're expected to come in to work most days.

I've just resigned from there and moved back to LA and a number of job listings seem to be offering at least 1 - 2 days of telecommuting. a few listings even state that you can telecommute the entire time, and just come in on days when there's important meetings. this is a good sign and most certainly a necessity in places like LA where commute times tend to be long.

however, I do worry about the long term impact of telecommuting going mainstream. I mean, with all the offshoring already goin on, what's to stop a company from saying, "if we don't need the worker in the office at all, why bother hiring someone from THIS country at a higher wage in the first place?".
There ya go!

You took the words right out of my mouth.

That's why I'm a big believer in face time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,925,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
however, I do worry about the long term impact of telecommuting going mainstream. I mean, with all the offshoring already goin on, what's to stop a company from saying, "if we don't need the worker in the office at all, why bother hiring someone from THIS country at a higher wage in the first place?".
Do not worry, telecommuting policy would not be a factor in this; thousands (millions?) of jobs have been off shored and most of those were most likely not telecommute positions.

Telecommute is used to attract talent, and to reduce expenses. If your talent is not needed, I assure you telecommuting would not be the reason.

My company pushes telecommuting because it reduces expenses for the company and attracts talent. We would go permanent, but there are some items which require a physical presence, so those things are being worked out.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,542,455 times
Unless your employer specifically prohibits it or you can't do it due to the nature of your job (i.e. you can't work remotely as a waiter for example), I'd say telecommuting is fair game for you.

So assume your job is telecommuting-friendly:

First, install Teamviewer on your office computers if you need to use software that can only be used on those workstations.

If you've telecommuted before in the recent past, I'd say just go for it and try to perform as well as you do in the office.. then apologize if your employer doesn't like the idea of you telecommuting.

If you've never telecommuted before, use some excuse to stay home that day (i.e. not feeling well, cable installation, exterminators, etc.) but say that you don't wish to miss work or use a vacation day so you're gonna work at home. Try to perform at least as well as you normally do that day then say a week later, tell them you like the idea of telecommuting and would like to try it out.

Point is, unless your job can't be done remotely or your company strictly prohibits it, telecommuting is definitely a negotiable option!

I still prefer to be in the office at least once in a while (once a week at a minimum.)

Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM

576 posts, read 998,117 times
I work in low level internet support for a major US Company. If you can't get onto the company's site and navigate around, I'm the person you talk to, to help troubleshoot that. The company doesn't allow telecommuting. We have to go into work, sit in our little cubicle, sign on to our workstation and work from there. For the life of me, I don't know why. Everything we do, be that interacting with fellow employees, talking to customers, attending training sessions, everything, ........or even if our own computer isn't working right, that is net-oped by the techies ... so it's not like they even have to physically visit my cubicle if there is an issue, everything we do, is "virtual".

We are timed, micro-managed, by a software program that reads every keystroke, every minute of everything we do, everyday. Have long since gotten used to being micro-manged to that degree. The long and short of that is, if you are doing what they are paying you to do, your job, you don't run afoul of being micro-managed.

That can be done from working at home. I have asked, and the answer has been "no its not being considered at this time".

They had a pilot that I was allowed to participate in, where we brought our systems home, and worked from home for 2 weeks. The outcome of the project was improved efficiency among those that did it. There were some technical glitches, as would be the case with most any new project. But those got ironed out, usually within the first day or so.

If I could find a job like I do, and do it from home, I would jump ALL OVER IT. I loved it.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 AM

2 posts, read 2,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Don't you feel micromanaged?
On my part? No. Our boss allows us to do what we think is best for the company we are working for. Yes, they can see all the work that I am doing, but the main part of "http://www.worksnaps.net" is the verification of time and work being done within a span of time. It doesn't really bother me because I get to prevent myself from slacking off and I get to contribute a big part on our company's growth.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,589,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
My current job allows 1 day per week telecommute. I am resigning very soon due to this.
I resigned my job where I was allowed 1 day/week telecommute. Found a position that is 100% telecommute.

OP. If this is important, focus on finding a way to do this. Ask the manager on your current job to allow you some days from home each week. If this doesn't work out, get your resume posted and start searching for telecommute jobs. Research your area to find which companies allow it(some dont advertise as such but allow it several days a week or more.). You can use this as a negotiation tool when you get an offer...to be allowed some telecommute per week.

Bottom line, it is becoming more popular and if it's important to you, focus on this as your goal.

Last edited by sware2cod; 12-18-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM

8,239 posts, read 10,771,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01 View Post
I telecommuted for a couple years prior to this job. Now that I'm making the commute I have a new-found respect for telecommuting. With a 1 hour commute each way, I'm spending 10 hours per week just getting to work and home. That's more than a full day of work per week. Just doesn't seem like the most productive approach to work or life.
I have telecommuted for the past 3 years and have really begun to hate it. The isolation gets old after a while. Your response is the single reason I havent gone back to working in the office. I just know that the minute I give it up, I'll regret it.

There are tons of benefits to it. I get to take my daughter to school every day and pick her up. I am home for a good 2hrs before the wife gets home so I get a lot of stuff done (cutting the grass, cooking dinner, etc). The problem is that on most days my only face to face interaction is my wife and daughter and that is it. I really miss cruising the office chatting with folks about nothing.

Funny story about this, my mom once asked me if I was watching "The Voice". I said (pointing to my wife) "she doesnt watch it and reality shows are no fun when you dont have people to talk to about it". You miss out on the whole "watercooler" talk by not being in the office.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 PM

43 posts, read 159,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I resigned my job where I was allowed 1 day/week telecommute. Found a position that is 100% telecommute.

OP. If this is important, focus on finding a way to do this. Ask the manager on your current job to allow you some days from home each week. If this doesn't work out, get your resume posted and start searching for telecommute jobs. Research your area to find which companies allow it(some dont advertise as such but allow it several days a week or more.). You can use this as a negotiation tool when you get an offer...to be allowed some telecommute per week.

Bottom line, it is becoming more popular and if it's important to you, focus on this as your goal.
You know, the odd thing is my company supposedly has a good reputation for allowing workers to telecommute. However, my immediate division seems to be full of people who only work from home once in awhile and usually end up emailing an excuse as to why they need to work from home on a given day (furniture delivery, not feeling well, car's in the shop, etc.).

When I interviewed I was told that I could probably work from home a day or two out of the week once I got up to speed. I've been there for a few months now but I'm not sure when I should push for those telecommuting days. Would love to hear what everyone thinks as to how long i should wait before pushing for this. I've done it a few days since I started and it makes a world of difference not having to make that hour long commute each way.

The other aspect is that there seems to be a lot of competition within my division, meaning people thrive on putting in long hours and working evenings, weekends, etc. It's almost like a competition. I really don't care for all that. i have a life outside of work and I like to make the most of it, so it's fine by me if they want that type of glory. But I do have to admit that it makes me feel awkward trying to work from home a day or two when no one else in the division is doing so.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,406,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj01 View Post
You know, the odd thing is my company supposedly has a good reputation for allowing workers to telecommute. However, my immediate division seems to be full of people who only work from home once in awhile and usually end up emailing an excuse as to why they need to work from home on a given day (furniture delivery, not feeling well, car's in the shop, etc.).

When I interviewed I was told that I could probably work from home a day or two out of the week once I got up to speed. I've been there for a few months now but I'm not sure when I should push for those telecommuting days. Would love to hear what everyone thinks as to how long i should wait before pushing for this. I've done it a few days since I started and it makes a world of difference not having to make that hour long commute each way.

The other aspect is that there seems to be a lot of competition within my division, meaning people thrive on putting in long hours and working evenings, weekends, etc. It's almost like a competition. I really don't care for all that. i have a life outside of work and I like to make the most of it, so it's fine by me if they want that type of glory. But I do have to admit that it makes me feel awkward trying to work from home a day or two when no one else in the division is doing so.
What does your supervisor do? Often it is a good thing to take your cues from the top (at least from the one who does your evaluation).

Old 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,624 times
I worked at a software company and was fortunately offered to telecommute when I told my boss I was moving to a different state. I no longer work for that company, but do still telecommute. Check out SkipTheDrive.com for telecommuting jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment