Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

936 posts, read 2,070,205 times

Advertisements

So my company has been bought by another company, and as part of the takeover, the new employer has sent around a description of the new benefits package. Part of it is named "Alternative Work Arrangements". One of the possible arrangements is to work remotely. For some jobs, they issue you computer equipment, and you never have to come on site.

So if I were to abuse this setup--because what fun would it be if I didn't?--what if I were to take off for another country, say, Spain, for example. I rent a long-term vacation flat in Madrid with a good internet connection for two months. I work out of the flat during the work week, and poke around Madrid and other places nights and weekends.

Could Spanish immigration bust me for violating rules about work visas? I'm American, so I don't need a visa to enter and stay up to 90 days as a tourist. But I'm not employed by a Spanish company, nor taking a job away from a Spaniard.

What about income tax in Spain--would that apply? Would I get taxed differently by the IRS in America?

What about my bank? Can I arrange to have part of my paycheck automatically converted to Euros and held on deposit?

Come on, C-D! Help me abuse my employer's flexibility! What other wrinkles and problems haven't I thought of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,247,097 times
Damned interesting notion, something I've pondered a lot too except relating to Panama. I work over 1000 miles away from my company right now, what's the difference right?

It would be weird setup because so much of your HR paperwork in America is related to your state of residence.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,174,474 times
As long as you have an ATM card, and direct deposit, the money wouldn't be a problem. Give your employer a generic email address that doesn't indicate your location.

I did some work from Spain a few years ago. I was in Santa Pola on the Costa Blanco and it was great fun. Close to Alicante. But my employer knew where I was and when I was returning.

Don't know much about Spain and work issues but I imagine most countries wouldn't care because you are not taking a job away from a local person. I would just do it and not worry about it. As far as taxes go it's interesting. Lots of Americans have made big bucks working in foreign countries for about 18 months at a time. There's a window where you don't pay US taxes or taxes to your host country. But you aren't being required to work in Spain so I'm not sure this would apply to you at all. I did some research on doing web work from Central America and it was no problem. As long as you weren't taking a job and you were contributing to the local economy, it was all good.

All of this stuff has it's own host of paperwork that I'm betting your company doesn't want to do. Or be involved in. You'll probably find out down the road these 'work from home' opportunities are allowed on an individual case basis and won't be an option for you anyway. Hope I'm wrong but lots of companies want to look accommodating and forward thinking on paper and the reality is quite different. Managers go crazy when they are responsible for employees they can't physically watch!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
As long as you have an ATM card, and direct deposit, the money wouldn't be a problem. Give your employer a generic email address that doesn't indicate your location.

I did some work from Spain a few years ago. I was in Santa Pola on the Costa Blanco and it was great fun. Close to Alicante. But my employer knew where I was and when I was returning.

Don't know much about Spain and work issues but I imagine most countries wouldn't care because you are not taking a job away from a local person. I would just do it and not worry about it. As far as taxes go it's interesting. Lots of Americans have made big bucks working in foreign countries for about 18 months at a time. There's a window where you don't pay US taxes or taxes to your host country. But you aren't being required to work in Spain so I'm not sure this would apply to you at all. I did some research on doing web work from Central America and it was no problem. As long as you weren't taking a job and you were contributing to the local economy, it was all good.

All of this stuff has it's own host of paperwork that I'm betting your company doesn't want to do. Or be involved in. You'll probably find out down the road these 'work from home' opportunities are allowed on an individual case basis and won't be an option for you anyway. Hope I'm wrong but lots of companies want to look accommodating and forward thinking on paper and the reality is quite different. Managers go crazy when they are responsible for employees they can't physically watch!
Not only is my manager cool with it, she's hoping to abuse the system by working from a beach house in Maui. And her boss wants to work from St. John. They're both of the school that believes in "so long as the work's getting done, it's all all right."

Spain was just an example. You could use any other developed country with the internet as an example. Actually, if I could pull it off in one country, switching countries every so often could be a possibility.

Health benefits might be a problem. I hadn't thought of that. Is there long-term foreign health insurance available? I would think there must be.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,174,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Not only is my manager cool with it, she's hoping to abuse the system by working from a beach house in Maui. And her boss wants to work from St. John. They're both of the school that believes in "so long as the work's getting done, it's all all right."

Spain was just an example. You could use any other developed country with the internet as an example. Actually, if I could pull it off in one country, switching countries every so often could be a possibility.

Health benefits might be a problem. I hadn't thought of that. Is there long-term foreign health insurance available? I would think there must be.
Health insurance is quite available and reasonable compared to what we pay here. Most of us do without because of the expense, it can actually be much better in other countries. You will be surprised. Costa Rica, just for example has great health care. So does Panama.

I want to work where you work. Any openings?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,764,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
So my company has been bought by another company, and as part of the takeover, the new employer has sent around a description of the new benefits package. Part of it is named "Alternative Work Arrangements". One of the possible arrangements is to work remotely. For some jobs, they issue you computer equipment, and you never have to come on site.

So if I were to abuse this setup--because what fun would it be if I didn't?--what if I were to take off for another country, say, Spain, for example. I rent a long-term vacation flat in Madrid with a good internet connection for two months. I work out of the flat during the work week, and poke around Madrid and other places nights and weekends.

Could Spanish immigration bust me for violating rules about work visas? I'm American, so I don't need a visa to enter and stay up to 90 days as a tourist. But I'm not employed by a Spanish company, nor taking a job away from a Spaniard.

What about income tax in Spain--would that apply? Would I get taxed differently by the IRS in America?

What about my bank? Can I arrange to have part of my paycheck automatically converted to Euros and held on deposit?

Come on, C-D! Help me abuse my employer's flexibility! What other wrinkles and problems haven't I thought of?
I wouldn't leave the country yet. You many find yourself out of job. Sorry to throw a wrench in your plans but they may be getting rid of people, and the ones who are taken over always end up on the losing end.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I wouldn't leave the country yet. You many find yourself out of job. Sorry to throw a wrench in your plans but they may be getting rid of people, and the ones who are taken over always end up on the losing end.
Don't worry--I'm not planning on doing this unless my job and my boss's job are both secure in the New Regime. But I can still shake out the bugs beforehand, and leave it as a contingency plan.

Since I currently work in a high COL area, a more realistic scenario would be to live in a low COL area, keep the same salary, and bank the gain (in real terms). But if I can make the dream work....

Old 08-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Health insurance is quite available and reasonable compared to what we pay here. Most of us do without because of the expense, it can actually be much better in other countries. You will be surprised. Costa Rica, just for example has great health care. So does Panama.

I want to work where you work. Any openings?
Depends on what you do. Scrimshanders, barbers and royal tasters need not apply.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:31 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,664,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
This is true, If I were you I would be fearing for my job in the next couple of months. Same thing happened to my long time company. There are very few left from my old company now. Probably out of 150, 15 remain at the new company. One by one people got laid off or left because of it.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,764,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
This is true, If I were you I would be fearing for my job in the next couple of months. Same thing happened to my long time company. There are very few left from my old company now. Probably out of 150, 15 remain at the new company. One by one people got laid off or left because of it.
Exactly. I was with a company that was taken over by Northrup Grumman, they kept people on just long enough to pick their brain and then let them go.

Out of 250 people I think 10 people ended up staying on.

Nobody on the takeover side of a merger comes out ahead.

Just the fact that they are talking about moving you out of your office so you can telecommute is a RED FLAG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment