Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:14 PM

95 posts, read 434,799 times

Advertisements

I am desperately searching for a job I can work from home. I'm well educated (AA in legal assisting, BA in business, MA in communications), smart, organized, and interview well. I have experience mostly in mid-high level administrative support. I have had NO luck with local businesses around me. But I see on this site that many people work from home. How do you find such a job? It is important for me to do this- I'd do anything to make it work.

There are so many scams online- in most cases you have to pay money to apply for a work-at-home job listing. I wouldn't even mind doing that if it was on the level. I'd like a job that could be done from anywhere so we could relocate (say to colorado) if we wanted to.

If anyone could PLEASE point me in the right location I would be so thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,335,677 times
NEVER pay money for an at-home job. Any legitmate company will put out any expenses if necessary and properly train you. They will not ask you to put money out. I just read somewhere (if I can remember where I'll let you know) that you should never, ever pay money out for a job. Never fall for anything listed in the paper under "Need Cash Fast" or "Can Make Between $500 and $1000 a week" or similar adds. Again, a legitmate company will have their information posted properly in an ad and they will not advertise it as fast cash or make money from home. Another idea is to go out searching on your own. For example, a friend of mine photocopied every title agency listed in our area and then faxed resumes to all of them. You can do that with attorneys, doctors, pretty much anything...just send your resume with a cover letter explaining what you are looking for. A lot of times people are looking for someone like that or they've just been given they idea for it.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:14 AM

I've applied to jobs and asked if I could make my office out of my home at least part time and never have I gotten a positive response. i don't understand why more businesses aren't okay with that- it would save them money. I thought work/life balance was becoming more mainstream? I guess I could send a cold-call letter to those types of businesses?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,118,257 times
In my experience most companies w/ good, desireable jobs are not willing to set you up to work from home unless you have worked with them for a period of time and proven your worth, or unless you have an outstanding resume w/ great job history as well as education and you have a skill that is hard to find.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:42 PM

I guess I understand that, but I thought people we becoming more accepting to it.........

Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,478,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randtbrown View Post
I am desperately searching for a job I can work from home. I'm well educated (AA in legal assisting, BA in business, MA in communications), smart, organized, and interview well. I have experience mostly in mid-high level administrative support. I have had NO luck with local businesses around me. But I see on this site that many people work from home. How do you find such a job? It is important for me to do this- I'd do anything to make it work.

There are so many scams online- in most cases you have to pay money to apply for a work-at-home job listing. I wouldn't even mind doing that if it was on the level. I'd like a job that could be done from anywhere so we could relocate (say to colorado) if we wanted to.

If anyone could PLEASE point me in the right location I would be so thankful.

I actually had the opportunity a few years back in the Phoenix area. I saw an ad in the paper for data entry at home, I went to the interview and took the test and it was for real. It was doing medical billing and they were giving you complete training but you had to go to an office for 2 weeks fulltime for training and then you could work from home.

I would look into medical transcribing. If you can learn that and then market yourself you should have a good shot a landing something.

Sometimes Realtors hire transaction coordinators and you can work from home to but you have to have a RE license.

Also sometimes Mortgage processors can work from home too. I'm just giving you some ideas of what types of businesses let you work from home.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:45 PM

22,950 posts, read 28,350,952 times
Most insurance adjustors work out of their home these days. Depending on the company, benefits can be pretty sweet too.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM

184 posts, read 1,213,442 times
Default Are you still looking?

I'll pm you a link so I don't get in trouble for spamming or whatever.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 213,280 times
I don't know if you found anything, but if you want a job, you're better off searching for "freelance" on line. You can find typing and other jobs.

Most people you see may have their own business - Big difference between a business and a job.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:31 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
ive got a friend, who just had a very simple idea, called a "pet motel"
he put an ad in the paper (minimal investment) and he was surprised by the response,,,now this was many yrs ago, and yes, there may be many doing this now, but what he found was, people going out of town, on trips, etc, dropped off thier beloved cat or dog, and he watched and took good care for them while they were gone, he even said he's check on thier house a couple times a week, and collect thier mail, if they wanted him to.
he had a fixer-upper farm house with some land,,,a perfect fit.
he also offered to pick the dogs or cats up at the owners house (smart!)
he's done very well, and now has folks working for him, he loves cats and dogs, and makes sure they are given a bath, before returning to the owners,,,so got got many word of mouth referels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment