Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I would love to move to another country for the experience. Any tips for how you managed to do that?

Work for international companies then always look out for opportunities to be oversea. You can also look for opportunity in middle east. Great pay and good vacation. :-)

I was planning to move to the Middle East but another opportunity came up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,472,265 times
It really depends on your personality. Some folks are always happy to experience new things, make new friends, explore new territory. Others are lost when away from home.
Anyway I would consider the following:
1) Has the new place potential for future employment if current offer doesn't work for you?
2) Is your income sufficient for living in the new place?
3) Is there potential for promotion or is it a dead end job?
4) Do you have a personal issue that will make it hard to adjust? (Like being an older person in a young environment or the opposite).

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,599,114 times
If you are still in USA or Canada, it really doesn't count as "far from home". At least you speak the same language and eat at the same pizza hut, and your family is a short plane ride a way.

Try going to a country with totally different culture, language, custom and tradition on the other side of the earth without the Internet.

One of the key similarity from those high earners is they are willing to be mobile. Had I stayed where I was after I graduated from college, I remember $60K was a dream number to me.

Beside the career advancement, it is a great personal experience.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 PM

543 posts, read 1,147,494 times
If you have friends now, you'll make new friends. It sounds as though you're very young... Moving to a brand new place (I've done it 6 times) was always a good idea for me.

How did you meet the friends you have? Have you ever met someone just taking a walk, or in a store or waiting in line somewhere? The world is full of friends you just haven't met yet... Better get busy!

That's my take on it. Life is short and the way I look at it is this: If I was 80 years old, looking back on my life... what would I have regretted? Not trying? Not taking advantage of my youth and adventures as yet undiscovered? For me and from what I've read, more people regret Not doing something than doing something.

As far as what would you do when you're not working... well, that's up to you, but you MIGHT make friends at work... or if you join a club or group... It's really only as hard as you make it.

Do you due diligence, check things out before just packing up and going.. (I have done that and it was fine), but now with the internet and so many resources, there is really no reason why you can't have a pretty good idea of area before you get there...

I wish you well and have fun.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
3000 miles. Did not know anyone. Best career move I ever made.

Don't let fear hold you back.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,678,645 times
Sometimes you have no choice...not these days.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,592,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Was wondering if many people do this and how happy or successful they are after they did.
When I was younger, I moved all over - cities, states, countries - by myself. It was fine. I think many people do that. It's necessary if you don't live in a metropolitan area with a lot of job opportunities.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,080,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Why is it different? If you don't know anyone, you don't know anyone......
I moved about 450 miles away from home for grad school. I don't have any experience moving far away for a job, but I think that with college, you have a built-in social network of others in almost your exact same situation. For a job, this isn't really the case and it makes the transition a bit harder in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:51 AM

102 posts, read 170,664 times
Yes, I would do it. The ability to work and support yourself, if you are single and alone, is paramount to happiness. If you're offered a job in a new city and the only obstacle is that "you don't know anyone" I would consider it a small one.

Once you're settled into your job and having a decent, safe place to call home, you can control your social life, to a certain extent. You have the ability to join organizations, go out and meet people and try and become part of the community. Chances are, you won't be alone for long.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,365,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterofopinion View Post
Yes, I would do it. The ability to work and support yourself, if you are single and alone, is paramount to happiness. If you're offered a job in a new city and the only obstacle is that "you don't know anyone" I would consider it a small one.

Once you're settled into your job and having a decent, safe place to call home, you can control your social life, to a certain extent. You have the ability to join organizations, go out and meet people and try and become part of the community. Chances are, you won't be alone for long.
I don't know anyone young who meets people through organizations in the real world. Even groups like meetup only draw a certain type of crowd and doesn't work for most people. Its either friends they had from college or work. But if you don't have anyone like you or your age where you work you are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment