Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm not sure all that it's true in...most cases. Like I mentioned earlier, my husband it's overweight. He has always impressed all of his employers with his smarts and work ethics. And he was competing with plenty of smart and skinny people. So in other words, if a interviewer judge a person based on his size, he or she might miss out big time.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:24 AM

106 posts, read 171,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Sure, overweight people are discriminated against and they should be. Allowing yourself to stay at an unhealthy weight shows a lack of discipline and self-respect.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why people become fat. If you load up on high-calorie foods and don't exercise, your body stores the extra energy as fat. Look in the grocery baskets that the fatties push around at the grocery store. They stack them full of garbage food- ice cream, cookies, red meats, macaroni and cheese, all sorts of junk.

Eat well balanced, lean meals with fresh vegetables and meats like chicken and fish, and go jogging for 15 minutes in the afternoon after work. That is all it takes to stay in shape.

Fat people are lazy, and employers don't like lazy people.
I tend to agree. Obviously it's different if someone has a health issue that causes them to be morbidly obese. But....if you're just an average joe that likes eating whoppers and sitting on the couch all day.....why should you be protected against weight discrimination ? Get on the treadmill, get healthy, and get more job prospects. It's a win - win.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 AM

265 posts, read 409,822 times
lol. the perceptions some people hold are priceless. I was overweight once, like big time. now I've got a six pack, run marathons, and i'm generally in better shape than 99% of people I meet. my self-esteem is the same. my life isn't cherries because I keep in shape.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:52 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
I am not fat (and also not skinny - maybe 10-15 pounds more than would be ideal in the looks dept) - but I think that people who are thin and in shape look like they have their **** together, while overweight people look like they don't. And they don't - I mean, if you can be in great shape, have three kids and work a full time job, then you are clearly organized and on top of things. I always envy women like that. I wish I were more organized and energetic, too, but I'm holding on at ever so slightly overweight, and that only because my genetics don't lend themselves to obesity. But I do think that my weight is a direct result of disorganization and lack of energy, and I really am less healthy than the fit ladies I know. So there is some basis to this outlook.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM

106 posts, read 171,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
lol. the perceptions some people hold are priceless. I was overweight once, like big time. now I've got a six pack, run marathons, and i'm generally in better shape than 99% of people I meet. my self-esteem is the same. my life isn't cherries because I keep in shape.
But you are more healthy than you were when you were overweight. Everything else may be debatable. But not that.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,014,240 times
I worked at a bank where the new manager improved the customer satisfaction ratings dramatically. When she was asked what was her secret, she said, "I only hire young, thin, beautiful people. It's a fact that customers will always give a higher rating to better-looking people."

She was a shallow beotch, but she was right. That was the only change she made, and the numbers didn't lie. Sad, but true. Even when she hired slightly dim-witted tellers, they got high ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment