Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 AM

40 posts, read 134,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's pretty horrible to have all that on TOP of being fat, which is pretty horrible anyway.
That was so wrong.

I tried not to laugh, but it was such a good point.

The military always says they are cracking down...I have not seen them 'crack down' more than a year or so in my 9+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,159,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet08 View Post
That was so wrong.

I tried not to laugh, but it was such a good point.

The military always says they are cracking down...I have not seen them 'crack down' more than a year or so in my 9+ years.
I didn't mean it to sound insulting. I need to lose about 30 pounds so I know of what I speak.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:38 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,914,768 times
My friends daughter is having a really hard time finding work.
She graduated from one of the top universities on the west coast but still cannot seem to land a job.
She is an overweight gal (+100lbs over) and she even admitted it's because of her appearance that she has not been getting call backs.
She went to an image consultant and the first thing the woman said to her was about her weight issue, that it will hinder her chances of getting jobs.

So, I would say yes, some employers do discriminate, maybe indirectly.
Not sure what their basis is completely with the overweight issue...but it sure does exist.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:35 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,214,221 times
Let me give you a viewpoint of an interviewer in a big personnel department.

The badly overweight person slowly waddles in, and grunts when they sit down in the chair for the interview. The chair creaks in protest. Yep, the chances of that person being hired is slim.

Second scenario: The job is for a desk job in a room that is already crowded. The applicant needs to be able to do a lot of bending and stooping to get to files.

Third: The job is in a department with a lot of walking, and need to get from Point A to Point B in a hurry.

And most of all, there is that feeling, usually unjustified, that this is not a healthy person. There will probably be more than usual sick days off. The fat person is looked upon as a person that doesn't have enough will power to deny themselves extra unneeded food. Would they have what it takes to be a dependable employee?

I know this isn't a pretty picture, but personnel people are not happy when someone overweight shows up for a job interview.

Can the overweight person make it? The thought is that when the potential is just unknown and you can only guess at and hope, they will not do as well as a slimmer person. The company will probably keep looking.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,083,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
When you lost weight, did the reverse happen? I mean, did the discrimination stop?
Yes. It was amazing all the doors that opened for me. People I had worked with for years just suddenly decided one day to start speaking to me. People listened to what I had to say.

Part of me liked the acceptance. Part of me was really angry. I didn't get smarter or more competent. All I did was lose weight. I thought about this a lot and did some reading. I came to the conclusion that heavy people are invisible. The regular size folks don't see or hear us.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:02 AM

14 posts, read 99,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
I agree with most of what you wrote except for the part about if you want it and can do it you will get it. Not so where I work. I have seen slightly overweight people who are well-qualified and degreed to the hilt apply for jobs in high profile departments such as recruiting and human resources but were denied due to "an unprofessional image". These individuals were neat and clean with manicured nails, $500 suits, and "money bags" hair (meaning they spent a fortune on foils and cuts) and were still overlooked because of an extra 30 - 40 pounds. I don't get it.
Well, there is an exeption to every rule. It's not fair, but in my area, and where I work, most people are overweight - not obese - but overweight. I believe some discrimination takes place, and I agree with one person here about how some physically demanding jobs will most likely be reserved for a more able applicant.

Either way, this country is sick for how it says "everyone is equal, beautiful, etc." But at the same time will deny opportunity to a human being just because appearance......

As I always remembered:
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly, is to tha bone!

Setsunna.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:51 AM

558 posts, read 2,251,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let me give you a viewpoint of an interviewer in a big personnel department.

The badly overweight person slowly waddles in, and grunts when they sit down in the chair for the interview. The chair creaks in protest. Yep, the chances of that person being hired is slim.

Second scenario: The job is for a desk job in a room that is already crowded. The applicant needs to be able to do a lot of bending and stooping to get to files.

Third: The job is in a department with a lot of walking, and need to get from Point A to Point B in a hurry.

And most of all, there is that feeling, usually unjustified, that this is not a healthy person. There will probably be more than usual sick days off. The fat person is looked upon as a person that doesn't have enough will power to deny themselves extra unneeded food. Would they have what it takes to be a dependable employee?

I know this isn't a pretty picture, but personnel people are not happy when someone overweight shows up for a job interview.

Can the overweight person make it? The thought is that when the potential is just unknown and you can only guess at and hope, they will not do as well as a slimmer person. The company will probably keep looking.
As an employer, my experience was that my obese employees averaged many more health issues; including foot, knee, back, etc. problems that impacted my health insurance premiums. As the owner of the company, it was difficult to provide the health insurance in the first place, and only made worse by the extra-high level of claims by obese employees. I always tried to hire without factoring in weight, but eventually I had to consider it as a negative during the hiring process, as the insurance rates were skyrocketing. Same went for smokers, BTW

Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM

8,995 posts, read 20,422,396 times
From my previous 35 years of job experience, good looks, good job experience/length of time and good education can easily get the nice job. It is unfortunate, but that is just the way today's job market is.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:18 PM

239 posts, read 800,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
My friends daughter is having a really hard time finding work.
She graduated from one of the top universities on the west coast but still cannot seem to land a job.
She is an overweight gal (+100lbs over) and she even admitted it's because of her appearance that she has not been getting call backs.
She went to an image consultant and the first thing the woman said to her was about her weight issue, that it will hinder her chances of getting jobs.

So, I would say yes, some employers do discriminate, maybe indirectly.
Not sure what their basis is completely with the overweight issue...but it sure does exist.
At my company (strategic marketing services) being overweight is career death. You are the face of the company, and you are expected to portray a healthy appearance. My receptionist is a Barbie Doll, and our 57-year-old director could be in Maxim Magazine's "Top 10 hottest Grandma's".

It's the way of the screwed up marketing world. I'm certainly no Gucci model, but I always watch my weight and dress well. There are a few people here who are 20 to 30lbs overweight, but they carry it very well and their clients love them.

We call it "front office appearance".

I know for a fact that weight discrimination exists!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 PM

239 posts, read 800,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yes. It was amazing all the doors that opened for me. People I had worked with for years just suddenly decided one day to start speaking to me. People listened to what I had to say.

Part of me liked the acceptance. Part of me was really angry. I didn't get smarter or more competent. All I did was lose weight. I thought about this a lot and did some reading. I came to the conclusion that heavy people are invisible. The regular size folks don't see or hear us.

Maybe your coworkers realize how difficult it is and how disciplined one must be to lose 20, 30, 40+ pounds and had a renewed sense of respect for you!

I know that in previous jobs I stopped talking to and going to lunch with certain people because it made me uncomfortable to hear them talking about being obese and how they wish they could lose weight.

It would be fine if I could look them in the eye and say "What? You're crazy! You look great!" But when someone is obviously dangerously overweight, you just sit there in total uncomfortable silence. I really hated that for me, and felt sorry for them. Very uncomfortable...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment