Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 PM

987 posts, read 3,819,907 times

Advertisements

I used to be in the food business. You know what we say, never trust a skinny chef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 08:22 PM

30 posts, read 133,432 times
I work for a government agency that's responsible for several counties. There are overweight staff members and overweight members on the board. I see no discrimination at all.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJax313Atl View Post
I work for a government agency that's responsible for several counties. There are overweight staff members and overweight members on the board. I see no discrimination at all.

Thats cuz its a government job...............

Old 10-12-2007, 10:31 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Let me give you a viewpoint of an interviewer in a big personnel department.

The badly overweight person slowly waddles in, and grunts when they sit down in the chair for the interview. The chair creaks in protest. Yep, the chances of that person being hired is slim.

Second scenario: The job is for a desk job in a room that is already crowded. The applicant needs to be able to do a lot of bending and stooping to get to files.

Third: The job is in a department with a lot of walking, and need to get from Point A to Point B in a hurry.

And most of all, there is that feeling, usually unjustified, that this is not a healthy person. There will probably be more than usual sick days off. The fat person is looked upon as a person that doesn't have enough will power to deny themselves extra unneeded food. Would they have what it takes to be a dependable employee?

I know this isn't a pretty picture, but personnel people are not happy when someone overweight shows up for a job interview.

Can the overweight person make it? The thought is that when the potential is just unknown and you can only guess at and hope, they will not do as well as a slimmer person. The company will probably keep looking.

This is really good insight and a true perspective. I'd also like to hear your thoughts about about people who interview who are maybe 25 - 50 pounds overweight? Not necessarily obese, but definitely overweight? Are they thought of the same as what you described?

Let's say a female who is 5'7" and weighs 170 pounds interviews. She is attractive, well dressed, neat manicure, conservative jewerly, well-educated and well-spoken interviews. Let's say the other candidate is 5'7" and weighs about 130 pounds interviews who has bitten-nails, an unpressed blouse, "chewed up" shoe heels, and off-beat jewelry with only 2 years of college. Who is the most likely candidate to be considered for the position? Let's say it is an HR position in benefits or recruiting for a Fortune 500 company.

When talking about obese people raising the cost of insurance premiums and possibly missing work due to ailments, how is it determined that an average weight person has no health issues that would cause them to be absent from work? High blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, etc., can all occur in slim people. Is it wrong to always assume that an obese person will miss work, but a slim person has no ailments? What are your thoughts?

Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
All you can do is look at the outside and guess.

If there were only two applicants, and one was well dressed but overweight, and the other was a nice thin slob with pink hair, it would probably depend on the position as to who got the job. Up front, meet the public, the first one would. Back in the store room where no one could see, it might be the one that looked the most physical.

As far as the health issues.....again, it's guesswork. A good interviewer, will try to involve the person in conversation too. It's amazing what people let slip when it just seems to be casual conversation. Just getting someone to fill out an application without talking to the person, isn't really doing a good job. I remember one woman (skinny, not fat) whose questions were more about sick leave and health benefits rather than working requirements. Nope, couldn't recommend her even if she seemed to be able to do the work.

I have actually invited applicants that seemed to have potential out to lunch, if it's about that time of day. I remember one that just seemed a little shy, by the time that lunch was over, it was obvious that it was more than shyness. She was so secretive that it was very disturbing. She just wouldn't talk about anything!

Interviewing is well practiced guesswork. The overweight person just starts out with one strike against him/her. It's a close call as to how much is too much. Are the clothes too tight? That's another hint that the person may not have good judgement.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
All you can do is look at the outside and guess.

If there were only two applicants, and one was well dressed but overweight, and the other was a nice thin slob with pink hair, it would probably depend on the position as to who got the job. Up front, meet the public, the first one would. Back in the store room where no one could see, it might be the one that looked the most physical.

As far as the health issues.....again, it's guesswork. A good interviewer, will try to involve the person in conversation too. It's amazing what people let slip when it just seems to be casual conversation. Just getting someone to fill out an application without talking to the person, isn't really doing a good job. I remember one woman (skinny, not fat) whose questions were more about sick leave and health benefits rather than working requirements. Nope, couldn't recommend her even if she seemed to be able to do the work.

I have actually invited applicants that seemed to have potential out to lunch, if it's about that time of day. I remember one that just seemed a little shy, by the time that lunch was over, it was obvious that it was more than shyness. She was so secretive that it was very disturbing. She just wouldn't talk about anything!

Interviewing is well practiced guesswork. The overweight person just starts out with one strike against him/her. It's a close call as to how much is too much. Are the clothes too tight? That's another hint that the person may not have good judgement.
Wow, it's great to hear what goes on the interviewer's side and their thoughts. Thanks for such helpful input.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,155 times
I'm sure there is, id like to see some overweight people doing some of these jobs. it would be funny at the minimum.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
I've got to tell you a personal story. My husband needed a clerk. He's the type that wants brain over beauty. This Grossly Obese woman showed up. She had a great smile and a personality to match. She was honest about her weight and she was now determined to do something about it.

He liked her attitude and personality so he hired her. She was a wonder!! The only problem was that there really wasn't any room in her little office for both of them to move around. She turned out to be a jewel, lost zillions of pounds. Turned out to be a good looking woman.

Now, I don't know how my husband is to work for, but she learned real early how to handle him. She would just threaten to sit on him.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I've got to tell you a personal story. My husband needed a clerk. He's the type that wants brain over beauty. This Grossly Obese woman showed up. She had a great smile and a personality to match. She was honest about her weight and she was now determined to do something about it.

He liked her attitude and personality so he hired her. She was a wonder!! The only problem was that there really wasn't any room in her little office for both of them to move around. She turned out to be a jewel, lost zillions of pounds. Turned out to be a good looking woman.

Now, I don't know how my husband is to work for, but she learned real early how to handle him. She would just threaten to sit on him.
That is hilarious! Threaten to sit on him... LOL! I always appreciate good humor. She was a winner in every way... good for her! And good for your husband who took a chance on someone who could have turned out to be a rotten egg. They are both winners.

This reminds me of a fund-raiser my company did last year. We had to raise money by setting up vendor booths in a public park and sell anything we could find like garage sale items, sno-cones, popcorn, used books, raffles, etc. My co-worker pointed something out to me during this event. The "good looking", younger, taller, and slimmer guys and girls were merely walking around wanting to be seen in their shorts and t-shirts. The employees in their 30's, 40's, and older, most of whom were 10 - 50 pounds overweight were doing all of the work and had their minds on raising money. It was an interesting observation.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
My only concern when hiring is, CAN the person do the job. Nothing else matters [other then being able to get along with all the very strange personalities in our office].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment