Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,346,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Didn't think of this. They sweep things under the rug. They also cover up things to favor someone higher up on the ladder, who might be dead wrong. At times, their goings-on border on criminal.
What about HR people who work in Training and Development? Change Management? Organizational Development? I don't see how they can unethical.

I think people forget HR works for the company not for the employees. So what the company wants HR to dom HR has to execute. Sounds like you are all just shooting the messenger. I mean when mass layoffs happen it's not HR who comes up with the decision it's either the CEO, prez or CFO of the company. HR just executes the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,540,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
What about HR people who work in Training and Development? Change Management? Organizational Development? I don't see how they can unethical.

I think people forget HR works for the company not for the employees. So what the company wants HR to dom HR has to execute. Sounds like you are all just shooting the messenger. I mean when mass layoffs happen it's not HR who comes up with the decision it's either the CEO, prez or CFO of the company. HR just executes the plan.
There are facets of HR (not all of them) which are truly less than honorable. Others here agree. I wasn't the first to point this out. I don't have the energy to provide a bullet point list of examples, theoretical or real.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:58 PM

264 posts, read 268,002 times
Quote:
There are facets of HR (not all of them) which are truly less than honorable. Others here agree. I wasn't the first to point this out. I don't have the energy to provide a bullet point list of examples, theoretical or real.
I don't. Budgets and job cuts are not created by HR departments. HR does not make decisions. Decisions come from above. Stop blamining HR for all evil

I would think that divorce lawyers who often instigate conflicts because they are paid per hour and lengthy divorces serve them more than their clients tend to be much more unethical than any HR department.

Last edited by noworneveragain; 09-15-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworneveragain View Post
I don't. Budgets and job cuts are not created by HR departments. HR does what it has to do.

I would think that divorce lawyers who often instigate conflicts because they are paid per hour and lengthy divorces serve them more than their clients tend to be much more unethical than any HR department.
Exactly. I think people forget that HR is there for the company not the employees. There job is to help manage the employees not be their friend. So if a mass layoff comes about, it's not HR who decides who has to go, it's the CFO or the CEO. HR is just following orders. Or if HR decides not hire you, that's because they are looking for the best interest of the company, not YOU. But then people get pissy because they think HR is out to get them. Yeah, like for what reason is HR out to get you?

Now if you were the one paying HR then things would be different. But you're not, the company is. I don't see how HR in general is unethical. The HR at my company is amazing and very well balanced.

Robertpolygot doesn't want to provide bulletpoints for his reasons, because he really doesn't have any good reasons.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So you think Training and Development is less than honorable?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So you think Training and Development is less than honorable?
You're putting words in my mouth. No. It's a niche area of HR. You seem to dwell on this? Are you in this area and feel offended? I'm talking about the more essential functions.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,809,648 times
Quote:
You seem to dwell on this? Are you in this area and feel offended?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, what else can it be besides a duck?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Robertpolygot doesn't want to provide bulletpoints for his reasons, because he really doesn't have any good reasons.
I don't feel like getting into the he/she said scenarios I've seen go down, but I do have examples, and they are nauseating. Maybe HR isn't so unethical, but they are slaves to unethical higher-ups or an unethical culture, and roll with it ... sometimes seeping into HR's culture as well. After all, they need a paycheck, too.

Next ... any other occupations?

Old 09-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, what else can it be besides a duck?
Hate to inform you, I don't work in HR. Enjoy eating your words.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I don't feel like getting into the he/she said scenarios I've seen go down, but I do have examples, and they are nauseating. Maybe HR isn't so unethical, but they are slaves to unethical higher-ups or an unethical culture, and roll with it ... sometimes seeping into HR's culture as well. After all, they need a paycheck, too.

Next ... any other occupations?
With the above statement I agree. HR can be unethical when the orgnization and higher ups are unethical. HR doesn't become unethical becuase it's HR, it's because who they are working for is. That is completely valid. It's the sweeping generalizations that bother me.

I don't realy judge people and their occupations until I have walked into their shoes. It's rather arrogant to do so. We all have to make a living, and for one person to think that their occupation is "above" someone else in regards to ethics is unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment