Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,513,747 times

Advertisements

Some of these jobs could be the answer for people
who are looking work on this website ! ! !

Alabama's sweet manufacturing boom
Alabama's sweet manufacturing boom - Apr. 11, 2012

Nine months in trade school. Job guaranteed.
Trade-school grads in hot demand for manufacturing jobs - Mar. 14, 2012

American manufacturers importing workers
American manufacturers importing workers - Mar. 5, 2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,783,645 times
Funny, I live 1 mile from Wilbur Wright-Humboldt Park vocational college, and I heard low income students can get a grant to study their 9 month Programs [ CNC or Industrial Maintenance ] and they get a free laptop. Cost is about $5500 equivalent. I recently took a PLCs and Industrial Controls class there [$660 tuition]. Next will take Hydraulics, Pnuematics, and CNC Programming.

But the PLC class so far didn't get me a job.

9-4-12 Investor's Business Daily says Mfg got weaker, but employment improved.

Last edited by Jesse69; 09-06-2012 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM

640 posts, read 1,217,687 times
The problem is that employers are asking for 5 years experience for entry level jobs. I'd like to see a law that forbids employers from demanding years of experience for something entry level that you can learn or the person already has certification to back themselves up. It's just another barrier for the millions of unemployed americans.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 PM

30,071 posts, read 25,184,551 times
Manufacturing has been one of the bright spots during the recession. Historically, manufacturing is also the first leading indicators of a recovery. There have been a couple months of contraction the past few months, which could be seen as cyclical, but with the crap going on in Europe, it has me kind of concerned. The manufacturing sectors in Europe, China and emerging markets are getting pummeled worse right now though.

I believe "made in America" is continuing to make more sense for businesses in this country, and even abroad. The labor rates are lower here than in many European countries and Canada, yet we can do most of the same things. All we need are the next generation of skilled labor, and manufacturing could be the backbone of the economy once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
The problem is that employers are asking for 5 years experience for entry level jobs. I'd like to see a law that forbids employers from demanding years of experience for something entry level that you can learn or the person already has certification to back themselves up. It's just another barrier for the millions of unemployed americans.
Your broad ranting does not apply to most of the manufacturing plants and shops I have seen. They are more than willing to talk young folks and have them start on the bottom. Not much money, but the experience can lead to a career, which is what young folks need these days. I see tons of young folks working these kinds of jobs, and at their age, it's unlikely they had any previous experience.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:14 PM

Maybe in your area but not everywhere. You are trying to use an exception as a rule. That's not how it is.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:19 PM

30,071 posts, read 25,184,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
Maybe in your area but not everywhere. You are trying to use an exception as a rule. That's not how it is.
Maybe your observations are the exception. Have you surveyed every large manufacturer and asked them if they hire inexperienced folks? There are always unskilled jobs that need done in a plant. You wouldn't hire a worker with 10 years experience to sweep floors or package parts.

Seems you are just venting, as you tend to do in every thread possible.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM

I don't see the jobs advertised anywhere. If they are so desperate, where are the listings? Or is it another goose chase scenario?

Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,688,213 times
The manufacturers in my area will hire anyone with no criminal record and who can pass a drug test. If you have automation or robotics training, you can possibly start out at $20 an hour in some factories. I would say that is pretty good.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,043,113 times
We need manufacturing in America to continue improving. Without that, long-term , our economy will be weaker, never stronger. The service industry, new age economy we hear about, serves value added, not the reverse.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 AM

8,196 posts, read 12,935,355 times
For a while manufacturing jobs in middle Tennessee seemed to not be hiring much (2009 -2010) and the state lost quite a dew manufacturing jobs. (I can't remember if it was 60,000 or 600,000 but it was a good percentage)

It seems as if you see more jobs being advertised since 2011. One thing I have noticed is wages are pretty good for people with specific skills in maintaining industrial equipment and other specific skills thaqt require training/experience. The "line jobs" requiring little skill pay MUCH less (in the 8 to 10 dollar an hour range).

If anyone decides to pursue manufacturing it would be wise to get skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment