Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM

4 posts, read 14,197 times

Advertisements

I've read many threads on this forum, but am just now posting for the first time. So, here's my situation: I am in my early 20s, a college graduate with a BA in a social science field, have completed half of an MS (coursework, not anywhere near half of thesis), have a year of teaching experience at my university, have general skills (Microsoft Office package, etc).
Anyways, I am not sure what field I want to go into now, but was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of careers that start at at least 35k a year. And I don't mean 35k a year in Manhattan. I'm interested in at least 35k a year in an affordable midwestern place. I'm very open to different careers. I'm not as interested in the field I studied as I once thought.
This might come across as a jumbled mess, but I plan to follow up on this thread, and can explain better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM

57 posts, read 86,224 times
social science fields pay $35k in manhattan. there's a glut of basement kiddy 99%ers who have such degrees and the employer has her pick of the litter at bargain basement wages.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,440,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheroscleroticPlaque View Post
social science fields pay $35k in manhattan. there's a glut of basement kiddy 99%ers who have such degrees and the employer has her pick of the litter at bargain basement wages.
Pay no attention to garbage posts like this. There are plenty of cynical, condescending posters on forums like this.

What are your interests and where will you be living in the Midwest? That matters.

I got into supply chain management right after college with a degree in political science (emphasis in economics). Granted, I did have about eight years of work experience by that time (mostly administrative work). No, we are not all a bunch of inept, basement dwelling protesters with no business acumen. Some of us understand how a business operates perfectly well without being spoon fed. A lot of us even know how to turn on a computer, type, scan, print, make spreadsheets, etc.

Last edited by Tekkie; 04-03-2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Social science? I don't know what you plan to do with that degree. Is that the type of degree that most counselors have? The average income for them is around 35K. Don't know why people go to school for that...

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Social science? I don't know what you plan to do with that degree. Is that the type of degree that most counselors have? The average income for them is around 35K. Don't know why people go to school for that...
Social sciences = anthropology, criminology, economics, political science, sociology, etc.

People with BA/BS degrees in these fields often times go in to various areas of business. You are not confined to only getting jobs in those areas in which you studied.

I know people here don't believe in data that supports something they don't agree with, but I'll post this anyway.

http://www.payscale.com/college-sala...l-science-jobs

Old 04-03-2013, 05:08 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Social sciences = economics, political science, sociology, etc.
Oh. So it's more like a liberal arts degree? I think the OP should consider what it is they are interested in doing career wise first. I'm sure there are several different career paths such a degree could lead to, but the first step is getting an entry level job.

So OP... What tickles your fancy career wise? Your first job might not pay much, but the experience could open doors to something better paying in the future. I personally wouldn't worry too much about money right now. I've got friends who graduated and expected great paying jobs. Many turned down entry level jobs because they didn't pay enough. Needless to say, most are regretting that decision now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Pay not attention to garbage posts like this. There are plenty of cynical, condescending posters on forums like this.

What are your interests and where will you be living in the Midwest? That matters.

I got into supply chain management right after college with a degree in political science (emphasis in economics). Granted, I did have about eight years of work experience by that time (mostly administrative work). No, we are not all a bunch of inept, basement dwelling protesters with no business acumen. Some of us understand how business operates perfectly well without being spoon fed. A lot of us even know how to turn on a computer, type, scan, print, make spreadsheets, etc.

Supply chain management is an excellent field to consider IMO. The only challenge now is many fresh grads are graduating with business degrees with a focus on supply chain management. It might be challenging to get into without a supply chain management degree, and there are only so many entry level jobs available. I have a friend that graduated with a SCM degree from a decent school. He worked his internship while in college. They hired him full time the day after graduation at $17/hr with great union benefits.

If I had to pick something, that's what I would go for.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Oh. So it's more like a liberal arts degree?
I guess. Liberal arts (and sciences) encompasses a wide variety of fields, where as social sciences is a specific area within liberal arts as a whole. Lots of things fall into liberal arts though, at least as far as colleges are concerned.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Ok, I should have been specific. I'm in Geography. In particular, I have focused on Urban Geography, with some skills in GIS spatial analysis (can use ArcGIS), have some AutoCAD design skills as well. I wanted to be an Urban Planner, but now am rethinking. I don't really want to get a job doing GIS analysis, but wouldn't mind using it a little in my career. I do realize that GIS analysts get paid very well, but I'm not that interested in it.
So far, thank you for the posts...even those that were either rude, or uninformed.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM

andywire,

Thanks for the helpful reply. I'm definitely interested in urban systems, and even transportation development. However, I'm not sure I want in Urban Planning. I will definitely look into SCM. Obviously employers would likely prefer a business degree, but it is all about highlighting my skills and experience to show I can do the job just as well.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay9 View Post
Ok, I should have been specific. I'm in Geography. In particular, I have focused on Urban Geography, with some skills in GIS spatial analysis (can use ArcGIS), have some AutoCAD design skills as well. I wanted to be an Urban Planner, but now am rethinking. I don't really want to get a job doing GIS analysis, but wouldn't mind using it a little in my career. I do realize that GIS analysts get paid very well, but I'm not that interested in it.
So far, thank you for the posts...even those that were either rude, or uninformed.
Geography's another animal altogether. With the analytical skills you've acquired, have you considered something like a business analyst, supply chain analyst, logistics analyst, project analyst, etc.?

I'm not very knowledgeable about what other fields you can get into where you might incorporate a little bit of your GIS spatial analysis experience. Someone else will have to step in for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment