Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,407 times

Advertisements

Someone was telling me the other day, that most of the time when you are a recent college grad and want to "get your foot in the door" in a reputable company without experience, sales is the best way because thats what area companies have the most entry level positions available. Seems true because when you search for entry-level jobs on any website most of the jobs that come up are sales. I have no problem doing sales (have a BS in marketing and want to secure a position as a media buyer), but everyone (HR personnel included) seems to think that in order to be a salesperson you have to be extremely talkative and over-assertive, which I am neither. I am an excellent communicator and have no problems talking to people, but I have never been described as a "high-energy" person.

Thoughts? Is sales the best way to get your foot in the door for a good job, coming straight out of college with no work experience other than retail? What are some other types of good entry level jobs for someone with my degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,694 times
Most of those entry level sales positions are bull****. They entail lots of cold calling, commission based positions. You'd be better off selling Mona Vie.

And no you don't have to be a cocky, talkative, outgoing, nuisance to be good at sales. You do have to be a people person but that doesn't mean you have to be a used car salesman or snakeoil type salesman trying to swindle people out of their hard earned money. Especially if you are selling a legitimate product. Now if you are selling some sort of financial tool or gimmick that's a different story. A good product will usually sell itself with a little push and well thought out pitch from a salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment