Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I am just saying that the UE situation is way overblown by the media.

You have got to be kidding right? Unemployment is actually worse...I know plenty of people who are underemployed, or unemployed who have specific skills ( Financial Analyst, CFA, CPA, and a Nurse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
You have got to be kidding right? Unemployment is actually worse...I know plenty of people who are underemployed, or unemployed who have specific skills ( Financial Analyst, CFA, CPA, and a Nurse).
I disagree with this comment, as well as the one that you were responding to.

The truth is that the job market / unemployment situation is NOT the same for everyone. There are just too many factors involved, including (but not limited to) one's field, education, training, background, skills, experience, geographical area, professional network, etc.

A lot of people are having difficulties finding a job in this economy. But on the flip side, there are also people who have been able to easily find a job or get a new job in a short amount of time without a lot of frustration. I know people who were laid off and then out of work for 9 months or more. I know others who were laid off and had a new position in a matter of weeks. Same goes for people I know looking to move on from their current job.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,016 times
and people always say to go back to school, college, for those who lack a college-degree, education in order to get a job, i'm guessing they even mean the people who are desperate to work even a minimum-wage job in retail, fast-food, customer-service?

Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

The truth is that the job market / unemployment situation is NOT the same for everyone. There are just too many factors involved, including (but not limited to) one's field, education, training, background, skills, experience, geographical area, professional network, etc.

A lot of people are having difficulties finding a job in this economy. But on the flip side, there are also people who have been able to easily find a job or get a new job in a short amount of time without a lot of frustration. I know people who were laid off and then out of work for 9 months or more. I know others who were laid off and had a new position in a matter of weeks. Same goes for people I know looking to move on from their current job.
I was listening to the radio on my lunch break today. They had people calling in to tell about their unemployment situation, loosing their homes, and all the other horrible things that have become more common stories today. It's heartbreaking. By the sounds of it, people from all walks of life. Some were business owners who lost everything, others were professional folks who could have never imagined this happening to them, and so on. Some were able to find work after awhile, but by the sounds of it, many were making less than before. Many of those folks still lost houses, cars, and wound up in financial trouble. Just seems like it can be anyone these days.

I personally had a terrible time finding decent work when I lived in Michigan. I was always able to find something, but pay was not in line with before the recession. Employers were also quick to lay off. I would work 2-3 jobs at a time just so I had stuff to fall back on, as well as opportunity to build more of a financial cushion. After moving, I realized how much location has to do with it. You can walk out and have a job at the end of the week around here in my field. I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it for myself.

You can't help but feel very thankful if your doing OK in this economy, and sympathetic to those who are having bad luck. I also worry there are a lot of people who are essentially displaced in this economy.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM

29,824 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
and people always say to go back to school, college, for those who lack a college-degree, education in order to get a job, i'm guessing they even mean the people who are desperate to work even a minimum-wage job in retail, fast-food, customer-service?
Well, if you're unemployed, you've gotta do something to help your situation. Hope and a prayer will only go so far. I wish the government would invest more in job and skill training/retraining programs. Instead, more will simply end up on government subsidies, costing us just the same, and likely more.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedRage View Post
There is little value in anecdotal stories. I majored in finance, tore accounting coursework a new one and had ZERO offers for either accountant, bookkeeper, assistant, clerk, etc or financial analyst.

Most recently I applied for a job where the president of the company essentially blew me off but I saw a person I had an accounting class with. She had zero experience, worse grades than me and got a staff account position at a company that did not hire me for an assistant accountant position.

There is a lot more to finding a job than mere competence. People have arbitrary ways of "liking or not liking you".
That is kinda funny. First you denounced anecdotal stories since you didn't agree with what other dude's anecdote indicated, then in same post launched into your own personal anecdotal story to back up your take on the subject.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:17 AM

306 posts, read 431,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Yes, i suggest you go get some kind of training if not a degree. If you don't have a skill, what is keeping you from ending up in this situation again? You can be replaced very easily.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

I agree to a point...also depends on where you live. I have friends in Houston who seem to be doing fine and actually are thriving...however, most of us cannot move to not being able to sell their house or do not have the financial means to move.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Actually, trade programs, like the one I attended in high school, we funded by a mix of the state, and local businesses. When local businesses were chased off by the democrats, the funding largely dried up. I hear vocational programs are alive and well in the south.
The School i just started at is apparently having a big influx of Students in the Trades and Technical fields. I am in my first week of the Welding Certificate course and the General Welding class is overloaded. That class include People on other AAS and Cert tracks that are not Welding such as Auto Sports Industry and Mechanical Engineering. The Welding Certs and AAS people are making full classes in the rest of the coursework. The School is boasting 100% job placement In the Welding Cert and AAS classes and there are transfer students from another local Tech College just for that 1 reason. Apparently the other school just cannot place their people. Why, I don't know.

Hopefully I will put that 100% to the test next year after my Graduation. I am waiting to see if I will go Job or finish off the Cert. by moving into the AAS program (which would only be doing the normal Math and Science type school work. The welding classes would have been completed with the Cert. Course). I am hopeful though either way.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:37 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I agree to a point...also depends on where you live. I have friends in Houston who seem to be doing fine and actually are thriving...however, most of us cannot move to not being able to sell their house or do not have the financial means to move.
That's why I said that location is a factor. And even if you have friends in Houston who are doing fine - even if a person could afford to pack up and move there, it is not a guarantee that they would be better off employment-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment