Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:05 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,701,819 times

Advertisements

Why do people judge employment status? If your unemployed your seen one way? Then when you get a job people don't like what your doing and comment on that.

There's no pleasing people.

I work all day, I just don't get paid money for it.

When I did have a job, people had no idea what I did all day, but it sounded good to them. I can't tell ya how many slow days we had and I was basically getting paid to do nothing at times.

Is that all its about... the money? As long as your out there earning money, people don't care? People being society.

I've seen people's faces change and the respect go down when I tell em I don't have a paying job. As such, I've sometimes just pretended I'm still working at my old job. They don't know and it seems to make em happy to think I'm commuting to work and sitting in an office all day.

But I have a feeling I could become the Chief of Surgery at a major hospital earning $six digits a year and people would still complain stating I'm not home enough or something.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times
I wouldn't know because I don't judge others' employment status. You say, "I've seen people's faces change and the respect go down when I tell em I don't have a paying job." I'm wondering if that's maybe just your perception and not the reality? And why do you care anyway? If you're happy doing what you're doing it'll shine through but it's all to do with how you feel about your situation yourself and unless you ask for someone else's opinion, to heck with whatever "look" passes over their face. Cheers!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times
It annoys me when I see lazy people (or people not living up to their potential). A job doesn't have to be something that brings in a paycheck, but when I see coworkers clock out after exactly 8 hours even though the economy is sh*t and we should all work harder to turn the company around, or when I see people who sit there watching TV all night when they are bright enough to make a difference volunteering, or reading/learning/whatever, it annoys me a little... I agree with you though, I don't know what the big deal is about a paid job. I have friends who do nothing at a paid job and others who have a huge impact volunteering for free. I have much more respect for the latter...

Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It annoys me when I see lazy people (or people not living up to their potential). A job doesn't have to be something that brings in a paycheck, but when I see coworkers clock out after exactly 8 hours even though the economy is sh*t and we should all work harder to turn the company around, or when I see people who sit there watching TV all night when they are bright enough to make a difference volunteering, or reading/learning/whatever, it annoys me a little... I agree with you though, I don't know what the big deal is about a paid job. I have friends who do nothing at a paid job and others who have a huge impact volunteering for free. I have much more respect for the latter...
I don't want to work or volunteer for other's respect or because I feel pressured by society, though. If I do it, its because I want to. Thats all that should matter, but in reality we are bombarded by a society that's small minded and judges people based on ignorance.

I do agree about people being lazy, but in some cases people just end up on a path they can't get off of. Meaning they are stuck, even though given a different road in life, they may have done other things. In my case, even though I know I can do more, I'm basically stuck taking care of 2 disabled people the rest of my life. I only have a 5 hour window that I am on my own to get housework, errand and bills done. Its a very unsatisfying existence. I have volunteered, btw. Its hard to get into that though.

I know I can do more, but I gave up my career to raise my kids and care for the domestic stuff. Now I'm sorta stuck as my kids have gotten worse and we hadn't counted on that. Money is not so much an issue. If I were to work, it would be because I wanted to get out of the house and it would have to be part time and really odd hours..

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 03-20-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,640,559 times
I don't judge anyone on what they do for a living or how much money they make. Everyone is entitled for their career paths and what makes them happy, not what someone else wants them to do. Especially in today's economy, no one should be judged because they are not working.

However, I do have a problem who are not working because they are lazy or living off someone else, like a spouse, SO, or even parents when they are capable of working.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
I don't judge anyone on what they do for a living or how much money they make. Everyone is entitled for their career paths and what makes them happy, not what someone else wants them to do. Especially in today's economy, no one should be judged because they are not working.

However, I do have a problem who are not working because they are lazy or living off someone else, like a spouse, SO, or even parents when they are capable of working.
Yes there are those. People living in Mom's basement at the age of 40 and have never even tried. Thats different from someone getting themselves into a rut but is still willing to work, but can't because of how their life is.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM

I found its easier to deal with in some ways.

Most people get weekends and the afternoons off. (Saying that GENERALLY people work a 9-5 job shift).

Well I don't get weekends or holidays, but I do get school hours off (9:30-2:30), so even tho everyone else is at their workplace, this IS my time off. My work takes place in the mornings, evenings and all weekends and holidays. I just don't get a paycheck and never get to leave the house unless I'm running an errand.

The family is at school and work all week, so they WANT to veg out at home, where I can't wait to get out! lol. Its hard.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Jacky, I have been thrust back to SAHM status since I lost my job in August. I get all sorts of funny looks since we moved to this new area. People seem bemused we can survive on one paycheck (can't really) and that I must be someone to be 'envied' for all my 'time off.'

I have been told I must be 'taking an extended vacation' (more like hell--if I can't spend an extra dime because I am afraid of running out of money). I feel guilty I don't have a job. I see all these idiots on tv acting like they are so AWESOME because they were once 'happening' and now 'embracing frugality.'

Time off, what a joke...I get up between 5:30 am-6 am and spend most of the 'doing' things from looking for a job PLUS running the house (chores, walking the dog, getting my son off to school, homework...).

People think because you don't have a job you are sitting home like Peg Bundy. If you are a man, you 'must be a loser' because you wouldn't send the Mrs. out when you could work.

It's your house, ignore them.

Do THEY pay your bills? Do you care, really, what they think?

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 03-20-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Jacky, I have been thrust back to SAHM status since I lost my job in August. I get all sorts of funny looks since we moved to this new area. People seem bemused we can survive on one paycheck (can't really) and that I must be someone to be 'envied' for all my 'time off.'

I have been told I must be 'taking an extended vacation' (more like hell--if I can't spend an extra dime because I am afraid of running out of money). I feel guilty I don't have a job. I see all these idiots on tv acting like they are so AWESOME because they were once 'happening' and now 'embracing frugality.'

Time off, what a joke...I get up between 5:30 am-6 am and spend most of the 'doing' things from looking for a job PLUS running the house (chores, walking the dog, getting my son off to school, homework...).

People think because you don't have a job you are sitting home like Peg Bundy. If you are a man, you 'must be a loser' because you wouldn't send the Mrs. out when you could work.

It's your house, ignore them.

Do THEY pay your bills? Do you care, really, what they think?
You're right. Its alot of out-of-dated thinking our society has.

I'm kinda suprised with it. Think of all the people that work night shifts, etc that are in fact off during the daytime. Its easy to assume those people are unemployed. People jump to conclusions and make judgements based on ignorance. Those people are fools. Unfortunately I have to keep hearing from those fools on a regular basis. lol

I get up at the crack of dawn too. For the same reasons. I need to get things done before the kids are up and have stuff ready to go. Plus its a little quiet time to have a cup of coffee or concentrate on "me" things without getting interupted or worrying about what someone else needs right now.

And women are very strong in the workforce now. I don't understand why people still think its 30 years ago.

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 03-20-2009 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2009, 09:00 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
You're right. Its alot of out-of-dated thinking our society has.

I'm kinda suprised with it. Think of all the people that work night shifts, etc that are in fact off during the daytime. Its easy to assume those people are unemployed. People jump to conclusions and make judgements based on ignorance. Those people are fools. Unfortunately I have to keep hearing from those fools on a regular basis. lol

I get up at the crack of dawn too. For the same reasons. I need to get things done before the kids are up and have stuff ready to go. Plus its a little quiet time to have a cup of coffee or concentrate on "me" things without getting interupted or worrying about what someone else needs right now.

And woman are very strong in the workforce now. I don't understand why people still think its 30 years ago.
My husband works nights, so he is home (with me) most of the day. People who live here must think we do illegal stuff or are independently wealthy because we are both home.

I think you should try to get a 'SAH Parents' group together. I know you have a special ed. child, too.

Get out and talk to people, Jacky. Last week I had a job interview, my first one for months, and people spoke to me with respect and kindness. I was so thankful to get out of the house and have an opportunity to talk with others outside of my husband and son. I was seen as a 'person' not a mom for a few minutes.

I think you would be happier if you got out and volunteered. Even if you just do it 2 hours a week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment