Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM

710 posts, read 1,970,148 times

Advertisements

I don't know why that happens, just that it does. I guess it's human nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,595,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Why do people judge employment status? If your unemployed your seen one way? Then when you get a job people don't like what your doing and comment on that.

There's no pleasing people.

I work all day, I just don't get paid money for it.

When I did have a job, people had no idea what I did all day, but it sounded good to them. I can't tell ya how many slow days we had and I was basically getting paid to do nothing at times.

Is that all its about... the money? As long as your out there earning money, people don't care? People being society.

I've seen people's faces change and the respect go down when I tell em I don't have a paying job. As such, I've sometimes just pretended I'm still working at my old job. They don't know and it seems to make em happy to think I'm commuting to work and sitting in an office all day.

But I have a feeling I could become the Chief of Surgery at a major hospital earning $six digits a year and people would still complain stating I'm not home enough or something.

What do you guys think?
I agree with you. I do not have to work, I did work and damn hard but why should I , I have not taken from the system, I have money and I pay a lot of taxes on that money. So Why am I less of a person. I have tons of Hobbies I do instead of work and I am never going back to work full time!!!! Maybe part but never full. I dont care what people think, if your not supporting me or the tax payer, why the hell do I count less. I paid over 20 K in estimated taxes last year, thats more than your working people who put me down!!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,740,974 times
Lol...one the one hand people here are saying, "Don't judge. It's no one's business, etc." And then they come out with, "Oh, unless they stay at home and don't work and live off of someone else." Why is that any more your business?

Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM

2,364 posts, read 11,153,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...one the one hand people here are saying, "Don't judge. It's no one's business, etc." And then they come out with, "Oh, unless they stay at home and don't work and live off of someone else." Why is that any more your business?

Yes, i agree. Contradictory pov's. Better to just worry about yourself...! But it is true, that we have contradictory status symbols in our society. We have Paris Hilton on one hand, a child of several generations of wealth, who could live very easily doing nothing. But instead flaunts her stuff on national television, for easy bucks. Or we can choose Hilary Clinton, whose work and child runs neck to neck in importance. Or the father/mother who stays home, with lots of love, but no societal reward.

So, my advice in the end, is do what makes you happy, you only have one life to live, as long as it doesn't hurt other people. '-)

Old 03-23-2009, 07:37 AM

172 posts, read 1,067,287 times
It has been my experience that people seem to judge more harshly when you aren't working. However, I have had a couple jobs that I was really proud of, and when I wanted to talk about my experiences people could have cared less. I've also had jobs that made me miserable, but the job title alone made others envious. It seems like Murphy's Law at its greatest.

The bottom line is this is your life, you are the one living it each day, so why give a hoot what anyone thinks?

I knew a department chair at a university who loathed being asked, "So, what do you do?" He never gave them his job title or explained his work duties. Instead, he would just start listing off everything he had done that particular day. It might start with something like, "Well, today I woke up and made breakfast. The morning paper came late and..." And so on! After all, it isn't job titles or promotions that make us special--it's the little day to day things; it's how we live our lives not where we live them.

I have struggled with this stuff and I think it's important to remember that we are not at the whim of those around us--although it may sometimes feel like their questions and judgments may be a little much. You are at the wheel, so drive it how you want!

Old 03-23-2009, 11:55 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,713,730 times
Extremely true. But rather than get in a needless confrontation with people, if they are really that bothered and it isn't worth arguing about, I just talk about my old job as though I'm still working there. They don't know the difference and it keeps the peace.

Its stupid and I'm not real proud or happy about not being in the workforce, but when I get a negative reaction from someone, it just makes those feelings worse, which just puts me on the defensive and creates this air of tension. Who needs that. A white lie doesn't hurt in many cases and its forgotten about after a few minutes, but they sure remember if you're NOT working. Like ya said no one really "cares" what you do at said job, only that you have one, although there are cases where they don't even like what it is you do, then its like "Ah Screw it" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterFire View Post
It has been my experience that people seem to judge more harshly when you aren't working. However, I have had a couple jobs that I was really proud of, and when I wanted to talk about my experiences people could have cared less. I've also had jobs that made me miserable, but the job title alone made others envious. It seems like Murphy's Law at its greatest.

The bottom line is this is your life, you are the one living it each day, so why give a hoot what anyone thinks?

I knew a department chair at a university who loathed being asked, "So, what do you do?" He never gave them his job title or explained his work duties. Instead, he would just start listing off everything he had done that particular day. It might start with something like, "Well, today I woke up and made breakfast. The morning paper came late and..." And so on! After all, it isn't job titles or promotions that make us special--it's the little day to day things; it's how we live our lives not where we live them.

I have struggled with this stuff and I think it's important to remember that we are not at the whim of those around us--although it may sometimes feel like their questions and judgments may be a little much. You are at the wheel, so drive it how you want!

Old 03-23-2009, 12:05 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,569,821 times
Interesting point. What's sad is that, most folks when it comes to just a general lifestyle question or being just friends with you, don't seem to care. However in the dating world, particulary with women, it is a make a break issue with most people.....
that sucks.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,713,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Interesting point. What's sad is that, most folks when it comes to just a general lifestyle question or being just friends with you, don't seem to care. However in the dating world, particulary with women, it is a make a break issue with most people.....
that sucks.
true true. If I was making friends, I'd be upfront (or if its someone that does need to know the truth, ie doctors, who don't really care etc)

I'm married, so my "date" already knows the scoop I'd be terrified if I was dating and had no job. omg.

But your right. I'm referring mostly to casual conversations with people I'll probably never see again.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM

37,872 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Why do people judge employment status? If your unemployed your seen one way? Then when you get a job people don't like what your doing and comment on that.

There's no pleasing people.

I work all day, I just don't get paid money for it.

When I did have a job, people had no idea what I did all day, but it sounded good to them. I can't tell ya how many slow days we had and I was basically getting paid to do nothing at times.

Is that all its about... the money? As long as your out there earning money, people don't care? People being society.

I've seen people's faces change and the respect go down when I tell em I don't have a paying job. As such, I've sometimes just pretended I'm still working at my old job. They don't know and it seems to make em happy to think I'm commuting to work and sitting in an office all day.

But I have a feeling I could become the Chief of Surgery at a major hospital earning $six digits a year and people would still complain stating I'm not home enough or something.

What do you guys think?
I'm not an employer but if I was, I would not hire someone who was out of work for a very long time unless it was for illness. I just think a responsible person would take some job/any job while waiting for the right one to come along and I would only want to hire responsible people. You know, you can do something at night and go to interviews during the day. Then again, I wouldn't hire someone who changes jobs a lot, either.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,569,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm not an employer but if I was, I would not hire someone who was out of work for a very long time unless it was for illness. I just think a responsible person would take some job/any job while waiting for the right one to come along and I would only want to hire responsible people. You know, you can do something at night and go to interviews during the day. Then again, I wouldn't hire someone who changes jobs a lot, either.
If you work another job, while waiting for the right one, it's not fair to the person that hired you for the "surival job". I'm more impressed by one who would take UI or/and work at a place PT that's known for high turnover, as opposed to one who "was too proud" to collect UI, took another job and left it 1 to 2 months later after the real job came along.
After all working FT cuts down on the amount of hours you have to look for that particular job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment